Resort towns filling up during Coronavirus with Second HomeOwners?

And we can simply read up thread of posters saying “let’s remember these vacation spots and never go back” or “they have a right to their vacation home” so how exactly would these highway patrol handle this. I live in coastal Al and the amount of Louisiana car tags that showed up just days after their state issued a stay at home order is staggering. They don’t want to live under their states stay at home order so they left and came here, They won’t self quarantine I can guarantee it.

You can't guarantee anything. You have no idea why people are leaving.
You can assume all you want but that doesn't make you all knowing.

Our governor would have a hard time justifying not allowing 2nd homeowners into an area when he has said that transferring city patients to upstate facilities is a possibility. It is a last resort possibility but one none the less.

Many of them have shown up in the last few days, well after the order to stay home was given.
I'm sure that some have, but we are seeing stories where people have been in their vacation home communities for weeks getting treated like garbage. That is what happens when we start thinking of people as "other".

We have spent the past 3 weekends at our lake house and will be there for sure this weekend and hopefully for many more after that. We bring all of our own food, we have 1/4 acre so are not in close proximity to others, and are doing our normal spring prep routine. It is just DH and I. We talk to our neighbors there from the same distance we talk to our neighbors at home. If one of us ended up sick we would make the 50 minute drive back to our main home. Down there it seems very normal as we don't go to restaurants or watch much TV down there.

You can't guarantee anything. You have no idea why people are leaving.
You can assume all you want but that doesn't make you all knowing.

Our governor would have a hard time justifying not allowing 2nd homeowners into an area when he has said that transferring city patients to upstate facilities is a possibility. It is a last resort possibility but one none the less.
I can guarantee the ones I’m seeing are not staying inside their homes, I watch them arrive, unpack, then go about acting like their on a normal vacation, asking what restaurants are open, then complain that none allow dine in. They crowd the beaches, it’s become a nightly news segment. So yes I can guarantee that they are not self quarantining.

I can guarantee the ones I’m seeing are not staying inside their homes, I watch them arrive, unpack, then go about acting like their on a normal vacation, asking what restaurants are open, then complain that none allow dine in. They crowd the beaches, it’s become a nightly news segment. So yes I can guarantee that they are not self quarantining.

Well that is irresponsible but unless you are witnessing every single one of them then you still can't guarantee "they all" are doing one thing or another. You are still making assumptions, you do not know for a fact.

What do you do that you are getting close enough to these people to know what they are asking and what they are complaining about?
Are your beaches open?
You are speaking of people with LA plates, does the 14 day quarantine apply to them?
From what I've read it's people from NY, NJ and CT that they are asking to do that.

Last edited:

Yep. And some are staying in Mississippi and not making it all the way to Alabama. Our counties have upped the beach patrol and curfew and distancing measures. And since Texas and Florida have restricted entry by those from Louisiana, it will make it tough for Mississippi and Alabama.

Our governor is not taking the stand that many wish he would for our state.

At this point this is all becoming irrelevant to a certain extent. This virus is EVERYWHERE and will continue to spread for the foreseeable future. Yes we can try to slow it,but it is still coming to resort towns as much as big cities. So now it’s time to unite and stop the “us vs them” mentality that has been going on. Unfortunately, the damage is probably already done. People need to deal with it and everyone needs to isolate. It really is as simple as that .

I just learned on Instagram a girl I knew in HS has decided to venture from the West Coast to the SE to be with family. She left last night :crazy2:

At this point this is all becoming irrelevant to a certain extent. This virus is EVERYWHERE and will continue to spread for the foreseeable future. Yes we can try to slow it,but it is still coming to resort towns as much as big cities. So now it’s time to unite and stop the “us vs them” mentality that has been going on. Unfortunately, the damage is probably already done. People need to deal with it and everyone needs to isolate. It really is as simple as that .

I agree that it’s everywhere, the problem I see is with those that will so callously ignore their home states stay in place order. They will never adhere to the vacation states orders.

Well that is irresponsible but unless you are witnessing every single one of them then you still can't guarantee "they all" are doing one thing or another. You are still making assumptions, you do not know for a fact.

What do you do that you are getting close enough to these people to know what they are asking and what they are complaining about?
It’s like any sample size, if those I am witnessing are doing it, it goes without saying that most if not all are also simply ignoring self quarantine orders, they fled from a state with a stay at home order so what makes you think they will listen to another states official?
I look around and see them ignore these recommendations. They ask locals for which restaurants are allowed to have dine in, they’ll approach me while I’m out fishing, or unloading at the dock. I work along beachfronts often, I see them having parties, they call me and ask what’s open. I’m not sure why your so unaccepting that it’s happening. Did you ignore your stay in place order to go on spring break and feeling guilty?
It’s on the news, I’ll see if I can find the pics if you would like. They’re not my pics but these partiers have figured out a loophole concerning island beaches and those beaches are packed

It’s like any sample size, if those I am witnessing are doing it, it goes without saying that most if not all are also simply ignoring self quarantine orders, they fled from a state with a stay at home order so what makes you think they will listen to another states official?
I look around and see them ignore these recommendations. They ask locals for which restaurants are allowed to have dine in, they’ll approach me while I’m out fishing, or unloading at the dock. I work along beachfronts often, I see them having parties, they call me and ask what’s open. I’m not sure why your so unaccepting that it’s happening. Did you ignore your stay in place order to go on spring break and feeling guilty?
It’s on the news, I’ll see if I can find the pics if you would like. They’re not my pics but these parties have figured out a loophole concerning island beaches and those beaches are packed

I know it's happening, I never said it wasn't.
What I don't accept is your guarantee that "they all" are doing it. You are making assumptions based on the ones you see. You clearly have a bias against "them" coming to your town.

I see you didn't answer my other questions like are your beaches open? Are people allowed to go to them?
Does your state have a quarantine order for everyone that comes in, or is it just from certain states?
Those answers kind of matter. If your beaches are open, well then people are going to go to them. Are the locals there too? Is it just out of staters?
If there is no quarantine order for people coming from LA, what would they be ignoring?

Here’s one link to the local news covering of those simply ignoring the beaches being closed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wk...gather-on-island-beaches-in-perdido-pass/amp/It’s like this up and down the coast. I say either stay home or open everything back up, It’s killing businesses and these people are making it drag out even longer.

Ok, well that link even says in the title "ban doesn't apply" to those beaches but I do get what you are saying.
Also, how do you know that they are all out of staters and not locals?
People are going out all over, the trail parking lots here are packed with cars Fishing season opens tomorrow, I bet all along certain waterways there is going to be people. Anything outdoors is going to draw people right now. That includes locals.
Unless people are forced to stay in under armed guard they are going to go out. It hasn't come to that, we are still allowed to leave the house, even under a stay at home order.

I have said in this thread there is nothing wrong with traveling to your second home/property as long as you do it responsibly. Not every single person who leaves their home area is doing it so they can live it up on vacation and go somewhere they can break all the rules. Of course there are those that are, but there are also plenty of residents doing that too. How about we just accept that there are some idiots out there, but that doesn't make everyone one.

Last edited:
I know it's happening, I never said it wasn't.
What I don't accept is your guarantee that "they all" are doing it. You are making assumptions based on the ones you see. You clearly have a bias against "them" coming to your town.

I see you didn't answer my other questions like are your beaches open? Are people allowed to go to them?
Does your state have a quarantine order for everyone that comes in, or is it just from certain states?
Those answers kind of matter. If your beaches are open, well then people are going to go to them. Are the locals there too? Is it just out of staters?
If there is no quarantine order for people coming from LA, what would they be ignoring?
I said “most if not all” I didn’t say “they all” were. I’m sure their are some adhering to a self quarantine, although them refusing to listen to their own state officials order to stay in place makes me question their willingness to listen to anyone else, these are people leaving after their home states order. This isn’t lake cabins out in the woods, or mountain cottages, I’m talking beach houses that are literally 20 feet apart and condominiums.

Ok, well that link even says in the title "ban doesn't apply" to those beaches but I do get what you are saying.
Also, how do you know that they are all out of staters and not locals?
People are going out all over, the trail parking lots here are packed with cars Fishing season opens tomorrow, I bet all along certain waterways there is going to be people. Anything outdoors is going to draw people right now. That includes locals.
Unless people are forced to stay in under armed guard they are going to go out. It hasn't come to that, we are still allowed to leave the house, even under a stay at home order.

I have said in this thread there is nothing wrong with traveling to your second home/property as long as you do it responsibly. Not every single person who leaves their home area is doing it so they can live it up on vacation and go somewhere they can break all the rules. Of course there are those that are, but there are also plenty of residents doing that too. How about we just accept that there are some idiots out there, but that doesn't make everyone one.
I said it was a “loophole” they found.I don’t know that those are all out of staters, but I can make an educated guess by how many out of state trucks with trailers at the boat launch.
I agree with you in that I don’t see a problem going outdoors or to your second home, but if your under a stay at home order, doesn’t that mean to stay home? Not relocate to your second home.
I completely agree with the statement that their are idiots everywhere. I often feel like I’m surrounded by them.

I just learned on Instagram a girl I knew in HS has decided to venture from the West Coast to the SE to be with family. She left last night :crazy2:

I would want to be with my family during scary times like this too. What if she gets ill and there is nobody to look out for her? I would assume anybody who is traveling across country right now is someone that NEEDS to be with their family, for one reason or another. Everyone has different support systems. You can't judge unless you know all their business. To me the stay in place orders are meant to keep people from congregating in public and just exposing themselves uneccessarily. Getting in my car and traveling HOME doesn't seem like the worst thing people are doing right now.

I said it was a “loophole” they found.I don’t know that those are all out of staters, but I can make an educated guess by how many out of state trucks with trailers at the boat launch.
I agree with you in that I don’t see a problem going outdoors or to your second home, but if your under a stay at home order, doesn’t that mean to stay home? Not relocate to your second home.
I completely agree with the statement that their are idiots everywhere. I often feel like I’m surrounded by them.

Looking forward to relocating to my second home again in a couple days. It is my home, and it is a much better place to be during lockdown. More fresh air, more ways to occupy ourselves. If you had a second home you would probably feel differently!

I completely agree with the statement that their are idiots everywhere. I feel like I’m surrounded by them.

I guess that depends on how one interprets "only go out when necessary".
I haven't seen a single thing here restricting any travel or even going out. Like I said, state parks are open, fishing season begins and there was no notice stating it was going to be postponed when I renewed our licenses the other day.
Plenty of encouragement to "get outdoors".
Our Governor just recently threatened to sue another state not allowing "us" to go there.
I guess that kind of sends mixed messages to the NYers fleeing for their coastal homes in other states.
Does stay in place mean we can't leave at all, if it does then wouldn't our Governor be supportive of another state not allowing us in?

Maybe I do see it differently than you because my 2nd property is pretty remote, on a private road up a mountain. We are more isolated there than we are here.
I do not have any reason to go anywhere else when I'm there. In fact that is the reason we bought it in the first place- to get away from people ;)

Looking forward to relocating to my second home again in a couple days. It is my home, and it is a much better place to be during lockdown. More fresh air, more ways to occupy ourselves. If you had a second home you would probably feel differently!
Not really sure what you mean by that? Just because I don’t choose to live in a bleep-hole of a city (that I felt I needed to escape to survive a pandemic)I can’t have and enjoy a second home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!