Rethinking December 2019?

eeyoreali

Mouseketeer
I was planning a trip for the first two weeks of December 2019 for mh DH, DD, DS, and myself. Now with the announcement of SWGE opening, I'm wondering if we should put it off unto the same time in 2020.

As a family, we wouldn't be needing to get into the new area as soon as it opens. I'm also concerned about the crowds being heavier because of the opening.

Are any of you changing your plans?

I was planning a trip for the first two weeks of December 2019 for mh DH, DD, DS, and myself. Now with the announcement of SWGE opening, I'm wondering if we should put it off unto the same time in 2020.

As a family, we wouldn't be needing to get into the new area as soon as it opens. I'm also concerned about the crowds being heavier because of the opening.

The crowds are going to be crazy over there for a long time, well into 2020. I am sure by dec 2020, everything will mostly be complete, Star Wars related. Don't forget though, when in 2020, you might think " Well 50th anniversary is in 2021!, with all the other rides in other parks opening for the celebration "

If you wanna go 2019, id say do it, then return in 2021 or 2022 when all the other stuff is complete

we are wondering the same thing...Would like to go Dec and see SWGE but are worried about possible delay in opening. I think the crowds will be crazy in Dec but likely crazy at HS throughout 2020 as well.

I’m planning first week of December. I own DVC at BWV, that week has always been hard to get to start with. Should be interesting!

We are planning on Thanksgiving 2019. We have never been on that holiday, and I hear it's pretty crowded to begin with. I'm sure it will be a zoo in 2019, but the only other time we can go is summer and I can't take the heat.

I’m also questioning this: planning to be there from 30th Nov 2019 - 11th December. Do we reckon all of HS will be unbearable or just the Star Wars aspect? I really don’t care for SW so won’t care if I don’t get on any of the rides in there....ToT & Rock’n’roller coaster are the only rides I care about getting on! Help

What is SWGE?

It appears that attendance has been down since the end of spring break. There could be many reasons for that, but I would guess that the opening of Toy Story Land is part of that. If you can move your trip a little earlier in 2019 you may have the benefit of reduced crowds as people may hold of their late summer, early fall trips to try to catch Star Wars.

I wouldn't delay my trip for a whole year because of Star Wars land.
I'd just stick to the plans I have.

I wouldn't change plans. There are a LOT of new things coming to WDW in the next couple years which are going to affect crowds. SWGE. 50th. Ratatouille. Guardians stuff. New hotels. Minnie/Mickey ride Etc etc. And that's just what we know of so far. Delaying it a year, you'll just end up thinking "well maybe I'll need to delay it again" over and over. This is going to be a "problem" for awhile

You can always go and still treat HS as a half day park. Avoid SWGE, and get FP to your other must do's. Unless this is the only WDW you can take in the next several years, changing plans doesn't seem to make sense to me

I wouldn't change plans. There are a LOT of new things coming to WDW in the next couple years which are going to affect crowds. SWGE. 50th. Ratatouille. Guardians stuff. New hotels. Minnie/Mickey ride Etc etc. And that's just what we know of so far. Delaying it a year, you'll just end up thinking "well maybe I'll need to delay it again" over and over. This is going to be a "problem" for awhile

You can always go and still treat HS as a half day park. Avoid SWGE, and get FP to your other must do's. Unless this is the only WDW you can take in the next several years, changing plans doesn't seem to make sense to me
I agree about not changing plans we are going in August and will see what the crowds are like with the new toy story land, but we are still excited.

December 2019 will be a mess. Thanksgiving 2019 could be a great time to go -- I'm considering a trip then and then waiting a bit for things to settle down once SW:GE opens.

I'm assuming, like most blogger sites that "Late Fall" means early/mid-December open for SW:GE (it fits with pandora and TSL openings and also with the blockout dates for DL and when they said SW:GE would open there). Hopefully they will announce an opening date with more specificity in the coming months, so that people wanting to see SW:GE postpone trips until December or later... and then I can go over thanksgiving and have (relatively) lower crowds. I can dream...

While there are a lot of new things coming, I don't think any of them, except the 50th will be anywhere as big as SWGE. If I was going to avoid one big behemoth, that would be it. I'm thinking we may skip May of 2020 depending on how things look. But a lot depends on just how averse to crowds you are and what the makeup of your party looks like. If it were just me and DH we'd consider going near the opening of SWGE but no way would we take the kids for that. They would not enjoy it.

My wife and I are visiting in June 2019. Not going anywhere near the Nov/Dec timeframe at WDW. We'll do DL in Nov 2019...…...so we'll get a SWL taste :). We like to make 2 trips a year (we're older and kids are grown), hoping for a 2020 visit but we don't have to worry about that until next year...…..as has been said 2020 through 2021 are going to be crazy busy at WDW. The new normal o_O

Doug :goofy:

December 2019 will be a mess. Thanksgiving 2019 could be a great time to go -- I'm considering a trip then and then waiting a bit for things to settle down once SW:GE opens.

I'm assuming, like most blogger sites that "Late Fall" means early/mid-December open for SW:GE (it fits with pandora and TSL openings and also with the blockout dates for DL and when they said SW:GE would open there). Hopefully they will announce an opening date with more specificity in the coming months, so that people wanting to see SW:GE postpone trips until December or later... and then I can go over thanksgiving and have (relatively) lower crowds. I can dream...
So, are you thinking SWGE will not be open for Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is late next year, so I'm worried that it will open right before it. I really wish it opens in December and that there are soft openings for Thanksgiving.

I think I would move it back a year.
I am in the group that thinks the opening of SWGE will cause a huge influx of people that will have an effect on all the parks. Especially in teh first few months that SWGE opens.
Certainly, there are more things coming to WDW, but nothing that wil have the same impact on attendance as SWGE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter