Rethinking my Dining Plan selection... Again.

persimmondeb

DIS Veteran
We're going in December. Originally we had the regular dining plan.

Then because it's a short trip, we eat a lot, and I acquired a couple of more ADR's we ended up with DxDp.

I'm now rethinking that, due to kind of tight timing with fast passes and a very expensive car repair.

DxDp is good value, but that's a lot of tipping, and my budget isn't the server's problem and shouldn't become so.

I'm thinking about dropping down to quick, and putting the difference on a gift card to supplement it, since neither quick nor regular is really enough food for us. I'd keep a couple of ADR's, order lightly, and pay out of pocket with the gift cards.

I do not want to go without a dining plan. This has worked poorly for us in the past, and while I'm not going to be significantly ahead on the qsdp, my back of the envelope math has me just about even. There is also no question of our not using all the credits.

I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for, but I'm making myself a little crazy. I'm kind of torn between the idea of the value of the DxDp and all of my lovingly selected ADR's, and the idea of having more flexibility and ultimately spending less money.

While the deluxe plan works well for us, if you are unsure how your plans will work out with your budget you may be best off going OOP without a plan at all. That will certainly give you more flexibility. If you already have your ADR's selected, you can adjust throughout your trip as long as you cancel the day before.

If you think you are not going to be significantly ahead, I would choose the flexibility over the plan.

I do not want to go without a dining plan. This has worked poorly for us in the past, and while I'm not going to be significantly ahead on the qsdp, my back of the envelope math has me just about even. There is also no question of our not using all the credits.

The QSDP is very difficult to break even unless you have some Disney kids in the mix who will order adult meals. If you don't have the kids, I'd recheck my "back of the envelope" math. Remember, you only get entrée and drink.

On two days (it's really three, but we've only got two package nights). I'm coming out around $294 without accounting for the mugs. I did figure for more expensive selections, but that's what we tend to like. It's costing us 298 and change, so I'm essentially getting three resort mugs for nearly free. Not the savings of the century, but enough to make me comfortable. Having a dining plan also works well enough for us that I'd have to be definitely in the red to not think it was a better option than OOP all the way.

If you feel like you are going to end up paying the same amount due to the amount you are going to pay OOP if you do a smaller plan then I would just keep DxDP. Of course the other option is to do a grocery order to your room and have the QSDP. I love the DxDP, but we have also done regular with a grocery order and it has worked fine. I would have to make the decision based on what my budget could truthfully afford.

We've gone ahead and gone back down to regular, and figure we'll just supplement it. We'll make a grocery stop (we drive to Disney) but it'll be pretty minimal, since we don't want to carry food into the parks, and won't be in the room much. This way we'll keep tipping down to a dull roar and we're not tied to the ADR's.

Wow, I eat a lot also. It will be me and my dd this trip. Like you, I was so indecisive. We went from free qsdp to regular dining but then I thought we would do the qsdp for the first time, mainly not be tied down with ADR's
I think it will be plenty of food, Disney' portions are huge plus now you get 2 snacks per person per day. I think we will be stuffed! Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!