Retirement Means I'm Going to Disney! The COVID Edition

Sydney2977

DIS Veteran
This trip was originally supposed to take place April 19-26 to celebrate my retirement after 22 years at JCPenney (and the journey from part time sales associate to assistant store manager) on April 20 and DH's birthday on April 25. I had been planning it for a year once I made the decision to officially retire. This would be the second trip for just DH and I as all but one of our many trips have also included our two boys and twice their girlfriends too. Then COVID-19 hit and changed everything. We were originally booked at Yacht Club, then when I had to pick new dates we switched to Coronado Destino Towers (told nothing available at YC), then Beach Club (told nothing available at YC), then back to Yacht Club when those other resorts announced they wouldn't be open. After working the entire time during the pandemic (my current job is office/sales manager at a place that makes cotton candy and candy apples, and our grocery demand skyrocketed during all of this) I was so looking forward to a break, even if it meant limited offerings, things being closed, and having to wear masks I wear them at work anyway and have been since April).

Our new dates were Sept. 13-20. We originally had FP picks for the trip, had to re-make ones for the new dates, then had those cancelled when they stated there would be no FP or park hopping, and had to make park reservations for specific days. I ended up doing dining reservations four different times as well when Disney would cancel them due to changes. DH and I love pin trading and had bought a bunch back in Feb. that we were eagerly awaiting to see if we could even use. We had some new Disney shirts we were waiting to wear. The departure day finally came and I was excited, but also a little apprehensive about how everything would work out, especially since the first thing that happened did not look like a good omen...

Happy Retirement & Glad you were able to make your trip!!

Tough year for all for sure and it's not over :(. We became empty nesters last Nov. 2019 - my dd got married in Disney :). 2020 was the year we were going to start more traveling (I retired after 28 Part-time with one industry years a little over a year ago). We had various (Disney and non=Disney) vacations planned - we all know how that went. Going next month!!!

Looking forward to your thoughts/review/report!!!!

Arrival Day (Sunday):

Our day began with our dog waking us up around 4 am to go outside, which is typical because that's about when DH usually gets up for work. What's NOT typical is her chasing some wildlife (raccoon? possum?) through the backyard and then under the deck and getting completely muddy! DH got her back in, put her in her kennel, and went back to sleep. But when we got up she definitely needed a bath, so that's what we did before getting ourselves ready. At this point I was thinking "Well, if this is how vacation is going to start, I'm going to have to just relax and learn to roll with the punches..."

We had packed almost everything the night before, so just had to put those last few essentials in the bags and get it all in the vehicle. We've taken both his truck (a Chevy Silverado with a camper top- lots of room for luggage and stuff, comfy, but not a good on gas) and my Toyota Rav-4 (great on gas, not as much room for storage, and noisier on the highway) but opted to take mine this time since it was just us two. I love driving since it means I can have a whole suitcase for clothes and fit more shoes- I literally brought a different pair of shoes for each day just because I could! Then I can pack a separate toiletry bag and bring regular size things and not the little travel sizes. Now when we've been with more people, of course I have to pair this down, but just DH and I- I'm bringing everything but the kitchen sink!

DS2 was going into work at 9, so we said our goodbyes and all left around the same time at 8:30. The drive down- around 6 hours- was marred with on and off rain, from the sprinkling type to the outright downpours where people were pulling off the interstate because they couldn't see to drive. Fortunately DH had put some stuff in my windshield wiper fluid to make the rain bead off so he was still able to see to drive. We stopped in Jacksonville for lunch at Whataburger as is tradition (we miss these from growing up in Texas- there aren't any near our home) and still made good time down to Orlando. Before we got on property I got an alert that our room was ready. I was happy to see it was 3rd floor, as I requested a higher floor. We pulled into the Speedway on property abut 3:30 and as DH was gassing up (I swear I think he just likes gassing up at Disney, like it's part of the experience!) I took some pictures of the Skyliner, which we'd never seen operational, and the ominous clouds in the background.

IMG_4830.JPGIMG_4831.JPGIMG_4832.JPG

We drove around the corner and made it to the Yacht Club Resort just before it started raining again. We decided to just grab all of our stuff in one trip and make it to the lobby, then figure out where our room was. Pulling up I remember thinking, even though we'd stopped in before, how beautiful this resort is! Classic elegance, but still with a warm feeling.
IMG_4834.JPG

We were greeted with a "Welcome Home" by several CM's in the lobby and asked if we needed assistance. We were directed to the elevators and were on our way to the 3rd floor. It was a bit of a maze once we got there to figure out where our room was, having to go down several hallways since it was close to the end, but we made it and our Magic Bands let us in. Yay- we got a king size bed! I made sure to take pictures before we dumped all of our stuff everywhere. I love the décor, the floors, and it felt upscale but not too stuffy. It still had the Disney charm.
IMG_4837.JPGIMG_4836.JPG

I won't share pics of the curtains because if you've never seen you should be surprised. I'm one of those people who loves to be surprised, so I purposely won't read too much or look at too much beforehand so I will be surprised. I'll just say the curtains have the best Disney touch to them that I'm glad I discovered on my own. DH loved them too and was examining them as I was unpacking- because of course I take longer than him!
Another feature we loved were the pocket doors in both the bathroom itself and the area leading to the bathroom- it gives so much more privacy and the pocket vs. regular door is much quieter. It didn't matter for us as much, but when traveling with others it would be a plus. We got a shower only room too. That shower was fantastic- so big and dual shower heads were wonderful! The only downfall was that there is only one little ledge to put toiletries on, so if you have a lot some may have to go on the floor of the shower or each person swap theirs out as they use the shower. The sink area had plenty of space and storage room underneath too. The closet area was probably the best I remember having. I love that there is an area for long and short hanging with extra shelves under the short hanging. The full length mirror and light in there is the best! DH also loved that instead of another bed we got this great chair and ottoman combo!

IMG_4845.JPG

Before unpacking we had to check out our balcony. I didn't care so much about the view but just wanted a balcony really. Our view was facing the quiet pool with a big tree blocking it, so it was kind of a buffer.
IMG_4841.JPG

Because our room was a corner one and a king room it seemed to have an extra wide and deep balcony too. We noticed the whole trip that every time we were out, there really wasn't anyone else using theirs.
IMG_4842.JPGIMG_4843.JPG

I will note that they are allowing pet dogs at YC as we noticed several people going out the doors below our room and heading past the quiet pool to the dog area with their pet, not service, dogs. Once during our trip we saw a lady with a small pet dog in A&C Market, but she was holding it, and once we saw a man with a larger dog on leash coming out of an elevator. One night we also heard a dog barking for several minutes in the area past the quiet pool, but it wasn't late where it was interrupting sleep or anything. Other than that, other dogs we saw were all service animals.

Last edited:
Following! Glad you were able to celebrate at Disney! Love the look of your room. One of these days I'll loosen the purse strings and stay deluxe. My DH and I have a trip planned for March (moved twice due to COVID). He's retiring in Jan. so I'm looking at it as his retirement trip. Not sure he is :-) Anxious to hear how your trip goes!

Following along and have never stayed at the YC, so am interested in the whole area! It looks lovely.

Just had to say your dog looks like our beloved bichon, Scruffy, who has passed!
Also, it looks like you are both smiling alike:)

Thank you..she’s a multi-poo and is so sweet. Her name is Daisy. I’m so sorry to hear about your bichon‘s passing. It hurts so much.

Happy Retirement & Glad you were able to make your trip!!

Tough year for all for sure and it's not over :(. We became empty nesters last Nov. 2019 - my dd got married in Disney :). 2020 was the year we were going to start more traveling (I retired after 28 Part-time with one industry years a little over a year ago). We had various (Disney and non=Disney) vacations planned - we all know how that went. Going next month!!!

Looking forward to your thoughts/review/report!!!!

Congratulations on your retirement and DD"s marriage! I can totally see our DS1 and his GF getting married at Disney. I totally understand about the plans- we had a bunch this year as well that just went in the trash. Just thankful we were able to able it to WDW and had the resources to do it. That's great you're going next month- where will you be staying?

Following! Glad you were able to celebrate at Disney! Love the look of your room. One of these days I'll loosen the purse strings and stay deluxe. My DH and I have a trip planned for March (moved twice due to COVID). He's retiring in Jan. so I'm looking at it as his retirement trip. Not sure he is :-) Anxious to hear how your trip goes!

Congrats to your DH on his retirement! Jan. is a fabulous time to go- the weather, lower crowds, and if they're doing the art festival at Epcot that's a plus. Where are you guys staying? You may want to check- Disney may be offering some great discounts for that time.

Following...great report and picture. Never stayed at YC...👍

It was our first time at YC, besides just popping in to pin trade at the front desk, and it was really nice. I'll have more on that later. Thanks for following along.

Following along and have never stayed at the YC, so am interested in the whole area! It looks lovely.

We really do love this area. Having stayed at BWI on our last "just the two of us" trip I knew DH would like the area, and he even said that YC, BC, BW, and even Swan & Dolphin should all be considered one big area. I find it cool how close they all are, so you can enjoy the dining and ambiance of all of them within walking distane of each other, but each has its own unique charm.

Just had to say your dog looks like our beloved bichon, Scruffy, who has passed!
Also, it looks like you are both smiling alike:)

disneyseniors- I'm so sorry for the loss of your doggie! I do the same thing every time I see a dog that looks like our Ashley that has passed. It's good to bring back those happy memories.

Thank you..she’s a multi-poo and is so sweet. Her name is Daisy. I’m so sorry to hear about your bichon‘s passing. It hurts so much.

They say a dog starts looking like its owner, or is that the other way around? Either way, y'all look adorable together!

Happy retirement! The YC is one of my dream resorts. Some day!

Thanks! We loved it and definitely want to come back some day. I have it on my bucket list to stay at every non-DVC resort at some point... although it may be by my second retirement that we finally make it to GF!

The balcony looks so relaxing to just sit there!

Oh the balcony was lovely! We got spoiled on our BWI stay when we had a balcony facing the back of Epcot and we could see Illuminations every night. I was kinda glad they weren't doing fireworks because from this view we would have faced the wrong way, but it was very nice to sit out there in the morning or evening to relax. Definitely took advantage of it. For those that don't know, almost all rooms at YC have a balcony, but only about half at BC do from what I've read- in case that's important to anyone.

Thanks for following along everyone!

Thank you!. We are staying at the Beach Club Villas. One of our home resorts!

Is the Compass Ale store open? I am curious if the Beach Club Marketplace is open too. I don't want to put an order in with Gardengrocer if I don't have to. We spend a lot of time at the pool/resort and usually pick up a quick bite/breakfast/lunch here at times.

TIA

Thank you!. We are staying at the Beach Club Villas. One of our home resorts!

Is the Compass Ale store open? I am curious if the Beach Club Marketplace is open too. I don't want to put an order in with Gardengrocer if I don't have to. We spend a lot of time at the pool/resort and usually pick up a quick bite/breakfast/lunch here at times.

TIA

Ale & Compass Market both retail and food are open. BC Marketplace was closed when we were there for refurbishment but has opened back up again. Plus the Screen Door over at BW is open and they may have things you would want just a quick walk away.

Ale & Compass Market both retail and food are open. BC Marketplace was closed when we were there for refurbishment but has opened back up again. Plus the Screen Door over at BW is open and they may have things you would want just a quick walk away.

Perfect! Thank you!!!

Arrival Day continued:

Once we unpacked I remembered I hadn't taken pics of the Magic Bands. Besides our first trip with MB in 2013, when they were just being introduced that Fall, I have painted our bands just for fun. I did Princess and the Frog characters when DH, DS2, and I stayed at POFQ, I did Beauty and the Best for DS1 and GF when they stayed there, I did favorite characters for DS2's graduation/birthday trip for the 6 of us, last summer I did favorite rides for the 6 of us, and DH and I's anniversary trip I did Mickey as the Brave Little Tailor and Princess Minnie (to go with the carousel theme at BW). Since this was our first time visiting Batuu I figured a Star Wars theme with our favorite characters, vehicles, and joke line was appropriate. I was glad I was able to capture Yoda ok because he is my favorite!
IMG_4839.JPGIMG_4840.JPGIMG_4838.JPG

We figured we'd head out before the rain started again and upon exiting our room #3070 we noticed to our right there was an elevator. We decided to take that down to the first floor and then coming out saw we were at the end of a hall and there was an exit door. Being the curious person I am I decided we should see where it led. Low and behold we were right out on the boardwalk! If the friendship boats were running we could have hopped right on one!
IMG_4846.JPG

That is one thing we really missed this trip was the boats as we enjoyed them on our BWI stay. We were in the perfect spot to take advantage of the dock too. Oh well, there's always next time. Here's a shot of the side door we came out, the little white one in the middle, and there's also one at the end of the farther hallway. I'd read there was some kind of secret door on some threads but didn't know what that meant till now.
IMG_4847.JPG

We walked down to take a look at Stormalong Bay, but since it had just rained not a lot of people were swimming at the time. We then came back through the lobby and on the way to the car I had to get a shot of DH with the gorgeous globe. One day we actually did see a CM sanitizing it. I can't imagine how many hands are touching that all day!
IMG_4848.JPG

Then it was off to activate our tickets and get some dinner!

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip, especially since we will be at the Yacht Club in two weeks. :)

Reactions: Kae
This trip was originally supposed to take place April 19-26 to celebrate my retirement after 22 years at JCPenney (and the journey from part time sales associate to assistant store manager) on April 20 and DH's birthday on April 25. I had been planning it for a year once I made the decision to officially retire. This would be the second trip for just DH and I as all but one of our many trips have also included our two boys and twice their girlfriends too. Then COVID-19 hit and changed everything. We were originally booked at Yacht Club, then when I had to pick new dates we switched to Coronado Destino Towers (told nothing available at YC), then Beach Club (told nothing available at YC), then back to Yacht Club when those other resorts announced they wouldn't be open. After working the entire time during the pandemic (my current job is office/sales manager at a place that makes cotton candy and candy apples, and our grocery demand skyrocketed during all of this) I was so looking forward to a break, even if it meant limited offerings, things being closed, and having to wear masks I wear them at work anyway and have been since April).

Our new dates were Sept. 13-20. We originally had FP picks for the trip, had to re-make ones for the new dates, then had those cancelled when they stated there would be no FP or park hopping, and had to make park reservations for specific days. I ended up doing dining reservations four different times as well when Disney would cancel them due to changes. DH and I love pin trading and had bought a bunch back in Feb. that we were eagerly awaiting to see if we could even use. We had some new Disney shirts we were waiting to wear. The departure day finally came and I was excited, but also a little apprehensive about how everything would work out, especially since the first thing that happened did not look like a good omen...
Happy Retirement :)

Arrival Evening:

This was going to be one of the few times we planned to drive on this trip. Usually we are the type to arrive in the Disney bubble and only take Disney transportation. I know some people complain about buses and such but we've always had good luck with all transportation for the most part. I navigated us to GF where we had a dinner reservation and once we arrived the first thing we needed to do was head to MK to activate our military tickets (DH is retired). This would be our first experience with temperature checks. There was a station for that as you went out to the monorail stop and it was quick and easy, followed by a quick security check as well. Before we knew it our monorail was pulling up.
IMG_4850.JPG

Of course it wasn't busy at that time so we got a whole car to ourselves! You can see in the picture how there is a gray partition between the two sections of the car, and only one groupd is allowed on each bench of the car.

IMG_4851.JPG

On the way to MK it looked like the skies would open any minute so we hoped it would hold out long enough for us to get to guest services and back. You can kind of see how they're working on that walkway from GF to MK as well.
IMG_4855.JPG

We hit Mk right at 5:00 , there was no one in line at guest services, and the CM was super quick and efficient about getting our tickets active. There were lots of CM's around directing people but it really wasn't crowded. The entry area where everyone likes to take pictures had plenty of opportunity for pictures with no one else in the shot.
IMG_4857.JPG

We got back on the resort monorail loop and this time had another couple in the car across from us. They were late 20's early 30's maybe, and had clearly had too much to drink! At first we thought they were just tired, and the woman was looking like she was falling asleep on the man's shoulder. But then his head started bobbing and when they tried to talk quietly to each other they were clearly slurring their speech. I've seen that at Epcot, especially during the festivals, but not at MK before! We giggled about it and hoped they didn't notice. After passing through Contemporary, TTC, and the Poly it was time to get off at GF.

We had a little time before our 6:00 dinner, so we looked around a bit. We peeked our head's in the new Enchanted Rose Lounge, where just a few people were in the main section, and it is gorgeous! The side wasn't even occupied at the time so I snapped a quick shot. It is so cute and well decorated.
IMG_4859.JPG

We popped down to the lobby to see if they had a pin board, but the CM working there told us no, and she didn't know anywhere that was doing pin trading. So we went ahead to check in for dinner since it was just about time. One funny thing I noticed through the window was the NBA Barbershop- set up for the players staying at the regular side of GF. Clearly security was making sure no rogue guests tried to get over those blue partitions!
IMG_4861.JPG

The magic bands are awesome~ Great Job~

You reminded me to have extra masks with us in case of rain. We will - but maybe even more so.

Great pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter