Return adl to la flights school holidays

Babysaurs

Mouseketeer
We currently have a disney cruise booked for oct 4 this year.
We've been planing this trip since jan 1014 and when I looked for flight costs for around same time last year from Adelaide to la they were my h cheaper then I'm finding this year:(
So far best price I can find is $5200 2 adults 2 children leaving sept 25th (last day of term 4 here in sa) and fly back oct 12th (first day back school term 4 for sa). I'm a bit flexible with dates but even that isn't helping.
So the $5200 flights are with Cathay pacific flying via Hong Kong. This wouldn't bother me so much if we could add a few night stop over in Hong Kong but this doesn't seem to work either.
The next cheapest is $5860 with virgin via Sydney on the way there but via Sydney and Melbourne on the way home. Same dates as Cathay.
I'm going to Adelaide expo next week but can't see there bring any cheap flights there for our dates either.
So tell me are those prices really expensive or not bad for school holiday time?
Are we better to fly Cathay pacific via hk to save $600 or is virgin the better option even though its more expensive and two stop on return leg?
We do have the virgin velocity points member thingy too (no points yet though) not sure if that should factor in it not. Ie would the amount if points wed get for the 4 of us for la return be worth the extra $600?
Kids will be 5 and 8 then and aren't too bad flyers.
Sorry for the long post just not sure of best option would live some advice:)

Last edited:
Not sure if you have booked yet, but just for a comparison we flew from Adelaide to LA via Sydney in July 2013 (left one week before SA school holidays started and returned one week after school went back). I booked the flights separately as that worked out cheaper. Adelaide to Sydney for approx. $200 return each and Sydney to LA for $1200 each return. So total for 3 people $4200. If you can play around with your dates or try booking the legs separately it may reduce the price and also mean you don't have to go LA, Sydney, Melbourne on the way home. Good luck!

We travelled Sept 2013 4 at adult prices, Syd, LA, NY, Orlando,,LA, Sydney, I got these flights for $1453 pp, but I booked them in the Jan.
I was looking on Virgin Aust & other sites for weeks leading up to when I booked.
We left Sydney the week before school holidays and arrived home 2 days before they went back.
Good Luck I hope u can fin something

The fare is $1429 with Cathay for adults so I guess that's not too bad?
Virgin is $1649 adult fare.
Played around with the Cathay pacific flights a bit and worked out for extra $80 we can have a 3 night stop over in Hong Kong on the way over.
Will head to the expo on Saturday and see what's there though before I book anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter