• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of Artist Point

Forever42

The best part of Disney is the food!
Mike told me that he was going to take me out for my graduation, and asked if the California Grill was ok. I had been hearing so many good things about Artist Point that I asked if we could go there instead. We made a priority seating for a Thursday evening, and had no problem getting the time we wanted even only a couple weeks ahead. Mike mentioned my graduation as I told him they did nice things for special events. I was very excited about going, and we got to the Wilderness Lodge early to walk around, as it’s one of our favorite resorts (even though we’ve never stayed in one!). We checked in a little early, around 5:45 for a 6pm PS, but were seated immediately.

Even though there were plenty of window seats available, we were seated in the center of the room. We were ok with it as we justified it to ourselves as there wasn’t much of a view besides the trees, though I wish now that I had asked for a window seat. Our server came over and took our drink order and asked us why we had chosen Artist Point, and we had a nice conversation. He returned with a different server, and told us we would be having server #2 instead. We were again disappointed, as our first server was very friendly, and the second … I don’t know, seemed anxious, wasn’t very friendly, and gave the same spiel to every table around us – made it seem a bit impersonal. I ordered a wine flight ($18.00), and he did suggest some wines I ended up liking, but they were brought out all together, instead of with the individual courses which I would have preferred, especially as it says at the bottom of the menu that the wine would be paired with your food courses. The wines that I was served were all from a winery near Seattle that I’ve visited called Chateau Ste. Michelle, and were a Johannisberg Riesling, a Riesling, and a Chardonnay. They’re all affordable, so I was able to find them easily in my grocery store this past week. Mike ordered his usual diet Coke ($2).

We were brought out bread, sourdough, with softened butter. The bread smelled like sourdough, but didn’t taste like it. It was very good anyway, especially with our soup that would come later. Mike contemplated the Chef’s Northwest Selection, which included the Portobello soup, a choice between two salads, a choice of the buffalo, beef tenderloin, or salmon, and a choice between two desserts. He wanted to try the venison spring rolls, though, instead of a salad, so decided not to. We both ordered the Smoky Portobello soup ($6.00). This was excellent, the best part of the meal! There was homemade croutons, chives, a cream sauce, and chive oil on top, and the garnishes worked wonderfully with the soup. The chive flavor was just perfect, I raved about it to Mike. As I said before, the bread went very well with this soup, and we hoped no one cared as we dipped our bread.

For our next course I ordered the frisee salad ($7.00). I wanted order the beet salad, but the server suggested the frisee salad instead. It had grilled apples, a nicely sharp Tillamook cheddar on top, candied walnuts, and an apple cider vinaigrette. Frisee is a curly, bitter lettuce, and the rest of the salad went well with the taste of the frisee. The grilled apples were different, a great grill taste at first, and then the sweet apple. There weren’t enough walnuts for my taste, though. It was a good salad, but not great. I wish I had ordered the beet salad, which I was told came with red and yellow beets and goat cheese. Instead of a salad, Mike ordered the venison spring rolls ($8.00). They came with a great dipping sauce, but both of us decided that there was nothing special about the rolls themselves. There was nothing inside except for the venison (we were expecting vegetables), and they didn’t taste much different than beef. There was a very good Asian vegetable slaw on the side, though.

For our main courses, I chose the Hatfield pork chop ($24.00) and Mike ordered the buffalo sirloin ($3.00). I ordered my pork medium-well, and Mike ordered his buffalo medium-rare. I had read the menu ahead of time, of course, and was excited about the Tillamook cheddar macaroni and cheese that came on the side of the pork chop. I was extremely disappointed at what it actually was. It was plain penne pasta with a Maytag blue cheese and crumb crumble on top. I don’t think there was any cheddar cheese anywhere in the pasta. The blue cheese “crust” was good, but difficult to eat as the crumbs went everywhere, and the pasta was very bland and slightly overcooked. The pork chop was better than I’d had elsewhere on property, but still under-seasoned and overcooked. I have yet to find good pork on property, and it’s frustrating to me. I would definitely not order this again and wished I had ordered something different. Mike’s buffalo was cooked correctly, on the other hand. He said there was a strong gamey taste, though, and while he liked it enough, also wished he had ordered something different. He adored the side dish, the sweet potato hazelnut gratin, and the caramelized onions on top of the sirloin. I tried both of the vegetables and really enjoyed them. I found the recipe for the gratin and will even try it at home sometime.

Our server told us that I would receive a special complimentary graduation dessert at this point, and I asked Mike to ask our server (I’m shy and hate asking questions sometimes) if it could be the Chai Tea Cheesecake ($7.00). Our server said that it was usually the berry cobbler ($12.00) but that it would be no problem to switch. Mike ordered the flourless chocolate cake ($7.00) at my suggestion, as I had had a divine flourless cake at Tchoup Chop. I also ordered a glass of Iniskillin ice wine ($12.25), which I had a Le Cellier and loved. The cheesecake was a small round piece with a great nut-filled crust on the bottom, and according to the menu, hazelnut brittle, orange marmalade, and caramel sauce. I love chai tea, and was eagerly anticipating the cheesecake. It was good, but not great, and tasted more like pumpkin cheesecake. The orange marmalade and caramel sauce didn’t have much of a taste to them, just sugary. Again, I wish I had ordered something different, perhaps just had the berry cobbler that everyone raves about. Mike’s flourless cake wasn’t anything like any other flourless cake that I’ve seen. It actually looked as if it contained flour. It had a raspberry sorbet on the side, and curls of chocolate and a fudge sauce around it. Mike says that the best part was actually the chocolate curls and fudge sauce, and that the cake wasn’t great. A recurring theme, he wished he had ordered something different. My ice wine was good, though, as I don’t think they can mess that one up!

Regarding the Chef’s Selection, the table next to us ordered it and the portions for the soup, salad, and dessert were all smaller than ordering them individually. I think it’s better to order the dishes separately, as you wouldn’t be saving any money on this plan, if that’s your goal.

I was looking around at the scenery in the beginning of the meal, and all of a sudden smelled Rome burning, from Spaceship Earth at Epcot. I noticed it was the cedar planked salmon – it smelled EXACTLY like Rome burning! We even went to Epcot a couple days later to smell it again.

Overall, we were disappointed in Artist Point, as you can gather from the review. We expected so much more. Maybe our expectations were too high? But I don’t think so, from the prices. We enjoyed Le Cellier much more than Artist Point, and kept comparing the two during the meal. Our service was just ok, as I noted above we didn’t quite like our server, and he kept forgetting Mike’s diet Coke refills. I have also never noticed anyone so eager to bring out more bread! Logistics-wise, besides the lack of soda refills, service was prompt. We may go again just for the soup and maybe to try out a different dessert. But I don’t think we’ll ever have a full dinner here again.

Yahoo photo gallery

Wow !! Even though you were disappointed, the review is great reading!! Thanks for the info :)

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your reviews, and make sure to check the Restaurants board every day to see if you've posted something new!
I also have to admit I'm jealous that you can just drive onto property any time you want! That's my dream, to live in Florida! :)

BTW, if you're looking for good pork, try the pork chop at NBA City, it's fantastic!

I enjoyed reading your review of Artist Point. I wasn't very impressed with it either, but thought it just wasn't my taste as most here love it. I much prefer Le Cellier and California Grill.

So sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal. Sometimes servers or CMs can make or break it too.

I would have definitely requested the window seat though if you really wanted to sit there. I'm sure they would have accomodated you.

I agree the mushroom soup is excellent. (they had a butternut squash soup a few yrs back that was even better!!) I honestly can't tell you about any other entree other than the salmon because that's all that I order when we go there. I just look forward to it and think it's wonderful so that's all I seem to order at AP (don't want to be disappointed ordering anything else).

My dh has had different dishes and was a bit disappointed with the buffalo steak as well (for $30.00). I gave him a hard time after we left when he said it wasn't that good and he didn't say anything. I told him it was a $30.00 entree, how could he keep quiet???? He usually says something when it's not to his liking. I guess you have to have a certain "taste" for it.

Anyway we have always been lucky to have great servers there.

And yes you needed to order the salad with the goat cheese, as it is very tastey!

They also used to have a chocolate bread pudding that was out of this world but I think they replaced it with the flourless cake.:(

But it is a shame that you won't try it again for a full dinner. We've been here several times and have always enjoyed it (even with dh's last experience--he'd speak up next time). It's really worth trying again!

Sorry that you were disappointed with AP but the review made great reading.

Thanks for the compliments! It really means a lot to me.

We *may* try Artist Point again, we were discussing it last night. But it wouldn't be for a while as we have so many other restaurants to try. We probably won't repeat any for a while except the counter service and the places where the vouchers are a great deal.

The experience (food,service,atmosphere......)we've had is about the best ever for WDW. No excuse for poor performance. Sorry to hear of the less than desirable expectations.

Gary

Sorry you didn't have such a great experience at AP. We love it there and don't care for CG!! Go figure. I had some of the best beef there that I've ever had. And our server was incredible. A young woman but I can't for the life of me remember her name. Everything was perfect with our meal. I wonder why your server was changed. Maybe the second server was newer and still in training and you guys seemed nice and easy going so he was given your table?? Sure can ruin a nice night out tho.

I noticed your comment about not finding a good pork dish on property. Have you tried the pork at California Grill? Its one of our favorites there...

I love reading your reviews! I'm sorry that you had a disappointing experience at AP. Unfortunately, that was THE worst dining experience we've ever had at WDW but in all fairness it was a few years ago and it was so bad and almost like something out of the "Twilight Zone" that it had to be somewhat of a fluke and I give the credit for it to our server who was just awful. Other patrons complained about him too so I'm quite sure he is long gone. And don't feel bad, at least you got the MIDDLE of the dining room. Even though we had made p.s. arrangements as soon as we could, it was early and the place was empty we still were seated at a table just to the left after you pass the podium. You didn't happen to notice if those tables are still there did you? The only view we had was of people checking in at the podium :( We love WL and were staying there when this happened and I soooo wanted to have a nice meal there. I have to agree with the poster who recommended the Cal. Grill for pork. The tenderloin there was to die for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter