Reviews yet on Coco?

I thought Coco was visually stunning, and sweet yet it left me with a sad feeling rather than an uplifted one. I think it has to do with what I interpreted as a big part of the message of the movie - that if you "forget" your loved ones they will "disappear". As a teacher, I felt like that leaves a real burden for kids that they may not even be aware of - so parents just be aware of that thought. It does give some perspective to the Day of the Dead and Mexican culture that as an adult I felt was valuable but honestly I was glad my 6 year old niece hadn't gone with us. Would I see it again? Not sure. Was it a valuable film? Yes.

I definitely can see your point and perhaps is in how it is interpreted and presented - and then discussed afterward. Because there is the "forgetting" part, but the flip side is that as long as you remember your past and your relatives that have past away, in a way they still live on - be it more literally as shown in the movie, or just in their influence on you and in carrying out traditions, etc. - so I took it more of the later, that it shows why it is important to carry on traditions and stuff like that

but a good point that people/kids could take it the other way as well and to either not take them if you are worried or be prepared to address it afterward at a minimum

I definitely can see your point and perhaps is in how it is interpreted and presented - and then discussed afterward. Because there is the "forgetting" part, but the flip side is that as long as you remember your past and your relatives that have past away, in a way they still live on - be it more literally as shown in the movie, or just in their influence on you and in carrying out traditions, etc. - so I took it more of the later, that it shows why it is important to carry on traditions and stuff like that

but a good point that people/kids could take it the other way as well and to either not take them if you are worried or be prepared to address it afterward at a minimum

This is how I interpreted it as well. All Mama Coco had to do was talk about Hector and now he'll be remembered for even more generations. I thought it was a good reminder to share our memories of those we've lost.

I thought it was so beautiful! The animation, the feelings, the story. I live in an area that has a high Mexican population and I really enjoyed seeing the culture of so many people I know played out on the big screen. I did feel like the Frozen short was out of place and I really missed the pixar short... they are my favorite!

My kids are 6, 3.5, and 3 months and they all enjoyed it. ;)

I thought it was so beautiful! The animation, the feelings, the story. I live in an area that has a high Mexican population and I really enjoyed seeing the culture of so many people I know played out on the big screen. I did feel like the Frozen short was out of place and I really missed the pixar short... they are my favorite!

My kids are 6, 3.5, and 3 months and they all enjoyed it. ;)
The animation was incredible!

I went expecting not to like the movie and was surprised that I really liked it. It was beautiful. I've never really given Day of the Dead much thought but I found the Disneyfied version pretty interesting. I imagine you would not like the movie at all if your religious beliefs or idea of afterlife conflicted with the storyline.

I'm not religious at all but I found it fascinating to learn about another culture!

I absolutely loved it and so did my SO. My DS17 and DD11 loved it too. DD said she almost cried.

It hits home for us. The grandma is exactly like my grandma and the kids got a kick out of it. My kids great grandmother on their father's side is also Mama Coco.

I liked the music. I like the way the movie was incorporated into the movie. The music actually had a place. Not like most Disney movies where they just break out in song. But with Coco he was in a talent show, music at the festival, etc. It had it's real place.

We loved it, including my 7 year old. It opened up conversation about my grandparents and my mother who are all gone now. We decorated our Christmas tree afterwards and I explained how many of my ornaments were made by my grandmother and how putting them on the tree means we always think of her.

Maybe it depends on the age of the kid, but I felt it was a nice way to open the door to those conversations.

We loved it, including my 7 year old. It opened up conversation about my grandparents and my mother who are all gone now. We decorated our Christmas tree afterwards and I explained how many of my ornaments were made by my grandmother and how putting them on the tree means we always think of her.

Maybe it depends on the age of the kid, but I felt it was a nice way to open the door to those conversations.

That's a really nice story and sounds like a nice new memory for your family too. We didn't have anything so specific like that but we did talk to our kids, especially our oldest (who is 8) about the concept of talking about those in our family that have passed to remember them so that they aren't truly *gone* but still with us

Here in Mexico we all adored Coco. It represented our culture exactly the way it is. Día de Muertos wasn’t Disneyfied at all, which was a surprise because we were all expecting to be offended by this movie. BOY WE WERE WRONG.

My grandpa recently passed away, he was like a dad to me. We had a special bond. This movie has been incredibly therapeutic to me, my family also found a lot of comfort in it.

I think that it’s a movie for all ages, but parents know their kids best. If they are emotional maybe it’s best to skip it, but who knows? They might surprise you. I have twin cousins, they recently turned 5, and both absolutely loved it. They surprisingly learned the lyrics of pretty much every song and want to see the movie all the time. They recently are going through the “what is death” phase because of my grandpa, but the movie didn’t affect them negatively, they’re really looking forward to Dia de Muertos to put my grandpa’s pic in the ofrenda.

I definitely think it’s a must watch movie. Don’t miss it!

Here in Mexico we all adored Coco. It represented our culture exactly the way it is. Día de Muertos wasn’t Disneyfied at all, which was a surprise because we were all expecting to be offended by this movie. BOY WE WERE WRONG.

My grandpa recently passed away, he was like a dad to me. We had a special bond. This movie has been incredibly therapeutic to me, my family also found a lot of comfort in it.

I think that it’s a movie for all ages, but parents know their kids best. If they are emotional maybe it’s best to skip it, but who knows? They might surprise you. I have twin cousins, they recently turned 5, and both absolutely loved it. They surprisingly learned the lyrics of pretty much every song and want to see the movie all the time. They recently are going through the “what is death” phase because of my grandpa, but the movie didn’t affect them negatively, they’re really looking forward to Dia de Muertos to put my grandpa’s pic in the ofrenda.

I'm so glad you feel it was accurate and respectful to your culture! I think it's a great way to learn about another culture so I'm very glad it's represented well

This was my BIGGEST concern about the movie - being respectful to the culture and the significance and importance of Dia de Muertos. My husband is Mexican, as is one of my BFFs and I know how sensitive their families are towards how some of their traditions are perceived.

My BFF went with her son and saw it over Thanksgiving weekend - she's not a Disney person by ANY stretch - and she just adored it. She wants to see it again, wants to know when the 'Coco' ride is going in at Epcot and has started calling her dog Dante instead of by his usual name.

and my daughter, who's a professional musician, viewed the movie as being about musicians.... completely and totally....the cultural wrapping just being the vehicle... :)

I went with my daughter and her boyfriend and we all liked it. They complained that the Frozen bit was to long but I enjoyed that as well.

I saw it with my 6 and 4 years old daughters. We totally forgot about the Frozen "short" being before so we were surprised with it and even though it was longer than "shorts" normally are, we loved it! I cried at the end!

Coco was awesome! It is beautiful to look at and sweet to hear. Gives you all the feelings like Inside Out and Up! I think it may be my FAVORITE Pixar movie ever!

We saw it Monday and the frozen short was not played. Myself and kids (12) and ((9) really enjoyed it. Having recently lost my father it was somewhat emotional for me but it was a lovely show with an important message about family.

We have a family of five, our oldest child is 8. We all loved it, and all of us cried (except our baby who slept the whole time, haha). It was beautifully done and is now my favorite Pixar film. Hard to understand how someone could hate it.

Planning on seeing it again on Wednesday!!! Will be only the fourth time I sought out another theatrical viewing for a new film (I’m not counting the very few rereleases that have happened in my life). The other three were Frozen, Inside Out and Zootopia. Zootopia unfortunately I couldn’t make it for the second viewing as I just got home from college and was starting my first job. It was still in my small local ten screen theater two months after it originally came out (last time a movie stayed in a theater that long was one of the others mentioned... but I’ll let that go ;)) and me and my sister were planning on going but the day we both had off was the first day it got booted out of theaters. I was totally bummed but I count it because we did actually go through the planning process. Decided since it would be out on blu-ray in like four weeks after that to just wait and preorder it with my first ever paycheck.

Nonetheless I’m usually content with a first theatrical viewing and then a Blu-ray viewing of a movie. Usually if I see it a second time in theaters it’s a happy accident. Very rarely will I want to go back instead of wait and Coco is one of the few

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter