Rhône River Cruise Meets Thread

Well, we all know that all of the 2020 Rhone trips were cancelled. Perhaps because we (until now) have been overly optimistic about so many things, we rebooked the trip for 2020, for the June sailing. They only listed four sailings. Once the EBD deadline passed, I checked the ABD website and all four sailings were priced the same. A few weeks have passed, and today I checked again. The two Adults only trips are still listed as taking reservations, but the other two are call for pricing/waitlisted only. Given that the boat was less than half full, I am concerned now that (yet again) the rescheduled trip is likely to be cancelled. We are nine months out and it would have been remarkable for two trips that were less than half full to fill within a couple of weeks. Am I being paranoid or on the right track? I have only booked two of the 23 pre/post trip items we had set up last time, and of course with COVID they are now all nonrefundable. I am concerned about booking anything else...Okay adventurers, sharpen those pencils and tell me what you think please.
I *assume* you mean June 2021. :) That is really pretty odd. I wonder if they are considering consolidating trips? Or, perhaps, a group or travel agency decided that they wanted to book one of the family sailings? It's so hard to know what ABD is thinking anymore.

ETA: What ship does your reservation say? When I looked at next year's cruises after this year's got cancelled, I remember that they had switched to a larger ship that did not have Single cabins, so it would have cost me a fortune to re-book. But now when I look at the website, it lists the AmaCello, which is the ship we were booked on for this year. Maybe the ships are more filled because they switched from a larger ship to a smaller one?

Sayhello

Last edited:
I *assume* you mean June 2021. :) That is really pretty odd. I wonder if they are considering consolidating trips? Or, perhaps, a group or travel agency decided that they wanted to book one of the family sailings? It's so hard to know what ABD is thinking anymore.

ETA: What ship does your reservation say? When I looked at next year's cruises after this year's got cancelled, I remember that they had switched to a larger ship that did not have Single cabins, so it would have cost me a fortune to re-book. But now when I look at the website, it lists the AmaCello, which is the ship we were booked on for this year. Maybe the ships are more filled because they switched from a larger ship to a smaller one?

Sayhello
Regrettably it appears there are less than 20 confirmed for the trip...so I see yet another cancellation in my future and the other two dates won’t work. This was such a great trip on paper!

Regrettably it appears there are less than 20 confirmed for the trip...so I see yet another cancellation in my future and the other two dates won’t work. This was such a great trip on paper!
I'm so sorry to hear that. It was a fabulous trip on paper! It felt so real having already selected our excursions! I was so looking forward to it (and meeting you guys). I'm still going to keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Sayhello

Once the EBD deadline passed, I checked the ABD website and all four sailings were priced the same. A few weeks have passed, and today I checked again. The two Adults only trips are still listed as taking reservations, but the other two are call for pricing/waitlisted only. Given that the boat was less than half full, I am concerned
I’ve been noticing this on some other AbDs I’ve been tracking or checking - one week there are xx number of departures, following week there are fewer departures & some are waitlisted. It appears AbD might be reducing and consolidating to hopefully get the numbers to reduce cancellations due to low signups.

It's official. First due to COVID, they properly cancelled us on the inaugural Rhone trip in May of 2020. Now our rescheduled June of 2021 Rhone is cancelled. I am grateful to them for the early heads up. Really not sure what to do next. It was already paid in full from February of 2020...and transferred over to 2021. We still have Poland for September of 2021, transferred from cancelled Egypt, but I'm now not making any pre- or post- or airline plans until we have a better idea of if travel will exist (or we are all still alive) by that point. Again, it is a first world problem and so far we have our health. I for one appreciate the work Disney has done to try to balance guest plans and expectations against economic realities, health and safety. I think the "power of the mouse" is not as strong as it was four years ago, as it appears that we are not welcome in very many countries overseas, or even among some sister states here in the USA. More than a cure for COVID we need a cure for the American stupidity, selfishness, apathy and laziness. Thanos was right....

It's official. First due to COVID, they properly cancelled us on the inaugural Rhone trip in May of 2020. Now our rescheduled June of 2021 Rhone is cancelled. I am grateful to them for the early heads up. Really not sure what to do next. It was already paid in full from February of 2020...and transferred over to 2021. We still have Poland for September of 2021, transferred from cancelled Egypt, but I'm now not making any pre- or post- or airline plans until we have a better idea of if travel will exist (or we are all still alive) by that point. Again, it is a first world problem and so far we have our health. I for one appreciate the work Disney has done to try to balance guest plans and expectations against economic realities, health and safety. I think the "power of the mouse" is not as strong as it was four years ago, as it appears that we are not welcome in very many countries overseas, or even among some sister states here in the USA. More than a cure for COVID we need a cure for the American stupidity, selfishness, apathy and laziness. Thanos was right....

I'm not finding info about cancellations for 2021... was it an email from ABD? Is this just the Rhone..?

*SO* sorry, Griffdog! What options did ABD give you regarding the monies from the 2021 cruise?

Sayhello

Well I must be a glutton for punishment. Maybe three times are a charm. We've moved the cancelled May 2020 trip to now cancelled June 2021 trip and are going for a third try on this - the May 2021 adults only trip. ABD is down to only two trips at all for Rhone, and we don't want to miss it, as it may not be available again. So it looks like we will be on the inaugural trip for Rhone, a year late, but still the first one. I've been assured that there are sufficient people booked that it should go forward, and that they will be limiting for safety purposes as well. So far vendors remain reasonable on transferring reservations (for the third time) on pre-trip days. I've been really pleased with Marriott on non cancellable and non refundable nights - the hotels themselves have been willing to move without penalty. We are rolling back on the pre-days a bit, from 6 to 3. I can't tell yet if our post day trip in Marseille will transfer and if it doesn't we won't do it. Nevertheless, DW is very happy we are going as this trip hits so many pieces of her lifetime bucket lists. If we had written the trip itinerary we couldn't have done it as well as ABD.

After 8 months of COVID, we are now looking at life through a different lens with limited expectations and a lot more patience and gratitude, which is a good way to live anyway. I hope you all stay safe, and look out for one another. I am pleased, at least see in Northwest Virginia, to see most folks practice social distancing, masks, and are caring and generous with time. We hope to see you on an adventure some time in the future!

Last edited:
Well I must be a glutton for punishment. Maybe three times are a charm. We've moved the cancelled May 2020 trip to now cancelled June 2021 trip and are going for a third try on this - the May 2021 adults only trip. ABD is down to only two trips at all for Rhone, and we don't want to miss it, as it may not be available again. So it looks like we will be on the inaugural trip for Rhone, a year late, but still the first one. I've been assured that there are sufficient people booked that it should go forward, and that they will be limiting for safety purposes as well. So far vendors remain reasonable on transferring reservations (for the third time) on pre-trip days. I've been really pleased with Marriott on non cancellable and non refundable nights - the hotels themselves have been willing to move without penalty. We are rolling back on the pre-days a bit, from 6 to 3. I can't tell yet if our post day trip in Marseille will transfer and if it doesn't we won't do it. Nevertheless, DW is very happy we are going as this trip hits so many pieces of her lifetime bucket lists. If we had written the trip itinerary we couldn't have done it as well as ABD.

After 8 months of COVID, we are now looking at life through a different lens with limited expectations and a lot more patience and gratitude, which is a good way to live anyway. I hope you all stay safe, and look out for one another. I am pleased to at least see in Northwest Virginia most folks practice social distancing, masks, and are caring and generous with time. We hope to see you on an adventure some time in the future!

I really hope you get to take it. This will most likely be the next cruise we'll look at taking!

After 8 months of COVID, we are now looking at life through a different lens with limited expectations and a lot more patience and gratitude, which is a good way to live anyway. I hope you all stay safe, and look out for one another. I am pleased to at least see in Northwest Virginia most folks practice social distancing, masks, and are caring and generous with time. We hope to see you on an adventure some time in the future!
I really, really, REALLY hope that the 3rd time *is* the charm, and you guys actually do get to do this cruise! I'm going to have to live vicariously through you & your DW, so PLEASE post loads!

:love:
Sayhello

I really, really, REALLY hope that the 3rd time *is* the charm, and you guys actually do get to do this cruise! I'm going to have to live vicariously through you & your DW, so PLEASE post loads!

:love:
Sayhello
Nothing will be as sweet as having you on board too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter