Rhine River Cruise Meets Thread

thanks for the advice. i was thinking of the teddy bear museum or the the roman ruins outside of town and just wandering thru the downtown/middle of town. Did you have issues making your choices of tours on the river cruise portion. Several posters have commented on that.

From my perspective the booking excursions issues had been worked out by the time we cruised - we were the last cruise of this summer for them. We made our reservations in the hotel lobby in Basel before we ever transfered over to the ship - so I guess the pre-night folks had an advantage. That said, it sounds like they added more of what was popular. So for example, there were TWO macaroon making classes and also a demonstration onboard the ship from the ship chefs. There were TWO groups going to Anne Frank House and an afternoon option for Van Gough museum. There were TWO groups going canoeing and the second group started just 45 minutes after the first. I honestly didn't hear from anyone that didn't get to do what they wanted to do. I felt like the Adventure Guides were being VERY accomodating as far as suggesting options to get everything you wanted - putting together the puzzle pieces of a schedule to fit everyone into everything. We met with Mikall to get everthing booked but then had a discussion with Emily later to confirm we had picked what was really right for our group. It was nice to say "tell me how hard is the canoeing, REALLY?" and have the freedom to make changes right up until that day. Also - people were changing their minds and skipping or changing excursions as the week went on - so there was alot of exchanging of color cards.

This is a vacation that is NOT Disney Cruise Line with tons of excursions and a heiarchy of how you get to sign up for limited spaces (platinum then gold then silver- that no one complains about) and it's not an ABD Land based where everyone does everything on the agenda except for some rare exceptions when there is an alternative - it's somehwere in the middle.

From my perspective the booking excursions issues had been worked out by the time we cruised - we were the last cruise of this summer for them. We made our reservations in the hotel lobby in Basel before we ever transfered over to the ship - so I guess the pre-night folks had an advantage. That said, it sounds like they added more of what was popular. So for example, there were TWO macaroon making classes and also a demonstration onboard the ship from the ship chefs. There were TWO groups going to Anne Frank House and an afternoon option for Van Gough museum. There were TWO groups going canoeing and the second group started just 45 minutes after the first. I honestly didn't hear from anyone that didn't get to do what they wanted to do. I felt like the Adventure Guides were being VERY accomodating as far as suggesting options to get everything you wanted - putting together the puzzle pieces of a schedule to fit everyone into everything. We met with Mikall to get everthing booked but then had a discussion with Emily later to confirm we had picked what was really right for our group. It was nice to say "tell me how hard is the canoeing, REALLY?" and have the freedom to make changes right up until that day. Also - people were changing their minds and skipping or changing excursions as the week went on - so there was alot of exchanging of color cards.

This is a vacation that is NOT Disney Cruise Line with tons of excursions and a heiarchy of how you get to sign up for limited spaces (platinum then gold then silver- that no one complains about) and it's not an ABD Land based where everyone does everything on the agenda except for some rare exceptions when there is an alternative - it's somehwere in the middle.
I'm glad they got that all worked out. I was pretty sad about what we were hearing from the first few Rhine cruises this year. And I agree with your evaluation of where these river cruises fit in the spectrum.

Sayhello

We are staying in Zurich before the cruise, and plan on taking the train in that morning. Would you recommend going over to the Radisson to sign up for excursions, rather than going to the ship and waiting for them to start making reservations in the afternoon?

What time do you leave the ship on the last day? I am wondering only because their is an eating amsterdam food and canal tour on saturday at 1030 which is only available then.

We switched to the July 2, 2017 departure, since a family from my daughter's school plans to do that one, so we know a couple of people. Thinking Disneyland Paris after.

What time do you leave the ship on the last day? I am wondering only because their is an eating amsterdam food and canal tour on saturday at 1030 which is only available then.
we were told that we could leave before 2 pm. We stayed till 11 am because we decided to see the city and check in early onto hte Marriot hotel.

we were told that we could leave before 2 pm. We stayed till 11 am because we decided to see the city and check in early onto hte Marriot hotel.

I would like to the eating amsterdam jordan food and canal cruise and food tour. it leaves at 1030a on saturday of disembarkation. Do you think if I leave by 830a Ill have time to get to my hotel to leave my bags and then back to the food tour.

How was the Marriott? I'm looking for a hotel in Amsterdam.

We had a wonderful time on our July 1 trip.
Here are my tips...
When you arrive onboard you are given a character name that they call to sign up for the excursions. I am not sure that it was in any order but it was long and cumbersome and needs to be improved. Not everyone got what they wanted but the guides tried hard to please everyone.
Go to the organ concert
In Rudesheim, go to the gondola early. We went around 12:30 and walked right on, but by 2pm there was a long line.
Yes, we did fish extenders which were quite easy to hang on the door number
They need to put in some nightly entertainment since the ship is small and several of the docking spots were NOT safe to walk around at night. The movies in the room were quite limited.
The housekeeping on the ship was fantastic!
The food was fine. I thought that it was better than on a Disney Cruise.
The guides were great as usual. We knew Emily from Alaska last year so it was fun to catch up.
The bike ride was nice and we climbed up the cathedral in Cologne.
Finally, instead of booking the add on day we spent 2 extra nights in Amsterdam The first day we went to the Anne Frank house, The Rik museum and the Heineken Experience. Book all of these ahead of time...The Anne Frank House and the Heineken are timed tours. The next day we booked a private all day Holland tour with Viator which was wonderful...Went to Deft pottery, The Euromast at Rotterdam and the Hague. Casper was our guide.

I would be happy to answer any questions
Karen
kkgastro@aol.com
Where did you stay in Amsterdam?

For those who have traveled on the Rhine River this year, how many kids are on the boat? Watching the Video review above only showed adults. We booked for July 9th next year (2018) and have a 11 year old. We are concerned there wont be other kids for him to meet. We did the Germany tour last year and had a nice balance of kids and adults. Any feedback from those who traveled would be great to hear!
We are booked on same and have 10 and 12 year old girls.

Is anyone on the Christmas Rhine trip coming up? We need advice for packing! I'm pulling out so many things because we have no idea how to dress for cold, rainy weather! WHAT are you wearing for keeping warm outside?! Do we need waterproof jackets? Snow jackets? A million layers? Halp!

Is anyone on the Christmas Rhine trip coming up? We need advice for packing! I'm pulling out so many things because we have no idea how to dress for cold, rainy weather! WHAT are you wearing for keeping warm outside?! Do we need waterproof jackets? Snow jackets? A million layers? Halp!

I'm going but am no help packing...if it looks cold and rainy I'll stay on the boat :) Floridians here and suspect DD would be the only one of us three willing to get wet/cold if the weather is too unpleasant.

That said, taking heavy coat, gloves, scarves and leggings/sweaters, silk long underwear and sigh...I guess an umbrella. Last year we were on the Danube Christmas cruise and the weather was clear, crisp and cold and we did fine. Flying out in less than a week...see you real soon :)

Last edited:
We (12 year old daughter and I) are on the July 2, 2017 Rhine cruise. Very excited! We will be flying to Basel from Paris after a stay at Disneyland Paris. Is the Radisson Blu still the preferred hotel for the pre-night?

Is anyone planning on booking the Anne Frank house on their own?

We (12 year old daughter and I) are on the July 2, 2017 Rhine cruise. Very excited! We will be flying to Basel from Paris after a stay at Disneyland Paris. Is the Radisson Blu still the preferred hotel for the pre-night?

Is anyone planning on booking the Anne Frank house on their own?
Hello: yes, we are doing similar! Will be in Paris for 4 nights before flying to Basel but we were planning to fly to Basel in the morning. Are you flying in the night before? We will be doing the Anne Frank house on our own as we will be staying in Amsterdam for 3 nights after the cruise. We are on the July 23rd sailing.

Hello: yes, we are doing similar! Will be in Paris for 4 nights before flying to Basel but we were planning to fly to Basel in the morning. Are you flying in the night before? We will be doing the Anne Frank house on our own as we will be staying in Amsterdam for 3 nights after the cruise. We are on the July 23rd sailing.

Where are you staying in Amsterdam? DD (19) and I will be staying 2 nights in Amsterdam post cruise. We've already done the Anne Frank house, and still need to plan our tours!

Still up in the air. Considering the Hoxton or Banks Mansion or.... Any suggestions? Where are you guys staying? We plan to do
Anne Frank house and a couple other museums.

Still up in the air. Considering the Hoxton or Banks Mansion or.... Any suggestions? Where are you guys staying? We plan to do
Anne Frank house and a couple other museums.

We are staying at the Grand Hotel Amrath on Prins Hendrikkade. I'm still working through our Switzerland activities in Zurich, but need to get on the Amsterdam activities!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!