Ride Access & Shoulder Issues

MUtiger98

Mouseketeer
I will be 5 weeks post rotator cuff surgery at the time of my trip. My doctor has given me the go ahead (with the exception of throwing my arms in the air--he's such a comedian) as long as I keep the sling on in the parks and don't put body weight on it. I was looking for pics of the ride vehicles (which I thought were on here at one time) so I can get an idea of steps up or down, etc. No plans for RnRC, Everest, etc., but would love to be able to do FoP, Star Wars rides, Toy Story land rides, 7DMT, etc. Also any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

SW Attractions:
  • Rise of the Resistance: From reviews, you should be okay with bracing with one arm, but I have not experienced this one yet.
  • Smuggler's Run: I found that even as an engineer, I was bracing with one hand and using the other to push the buttons. I think as long as you are not the pilot, you might be able to figure out how to do this one. The roughness of the ride is based on the pilots of the attraction. I had a very rough ride as the pilot was a father/son pair. The son was barely tall enough to ride and understand how to move the levers.
  • Star Tours: You might be able to brace with one arm. You might want to ask for the first row as if you can reach the floor then you might be able to use your legs to brace. I find that as the rows go back, my feet get farther from the ground.
Toy Story Land:
  • Toy Story Mania: Aiming and shooting may be difficult. It does whip about between screens, but I can usually handle without bracing.
  • Slinky Dog: I think you should be okay with this one. I did not find it too rough of a ride. You will just have to figure out where the best place to sit with your sling will be.
  • Alien Swirling Saucers: This is basically a whip type ride so you need to make sure you can brace without someone else slamming into you or you slamming into the sides.
You should be able to do a general image search for the rides or even videos to get an idea of what the attraction vehicles are like.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread is stuck near the top of this board and I have link in my signature.
Post 18-21 in that thread has information about boarding attractions, including which have a difficult step in.

Wouldn't FOP be hard? You have the chest part, and your arms have to go to the handlebar thing, like riding a motorcycle. Not sure you could keep the arm in the sling for that, as it would be in between your body and the chest panel.

We haven't been since TS land, but on our last trip my son was in a sling due to a dislocated shoulder. He was able to ride everything he wanted to, including FOP and 7DMT. Some of the rides that jostle you around more (Space and Thunder for example) definitely increased his pain but he didn't have any trouble accessing anything.

Wouldn't FOP be hard? You have the chest part, and your arms have to go to the handlebar thing, like riding a motorcycle. Not sure you could keep the arm in the sling for that, as it would be in between your body and the chest panel.

Yeah, I don't think that would work very well (my mom is 5 weeks post surgery tomorrow, so I've gotten pretty familiar with the sling).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter