Rides with water elements and other hearing aid challenges

etoiles

DIS Veteran
Hello,

My son has hearing loss and uses a hearing aid. It is our first trip since he’s gotten a hearing aid. It’s not waterproof. I expect to take it off for rides like splash mountain but I know that sometimes 3D movies and other rides might have unexpected water elements. Does anyone know what rides might have unexpected water elements?

Someone from a medical Facebook group related to his condition recommended going to guest services and he could get priority seating at shows? Would Disney guest services help with this? Although he has a hearing aid the aid doesn’t make him hear like someone with two ears and if I have to remove it for certain shows I am worried about him hearing things and just getting overwhelmed with all the sounds overall.

he could get priority seating at shows? Would Disney guest services help with this?
That may depend on what you consider "priority seating" and what his needs are. Seating at shows will be handled by the CMs at those shows/attractions. Guest Relations doesn't issue anything for this, just speak to the CMs at the attraction to let them know your request (front, center, etc.).

As to what to do with the hearing aids -- I have seen this mentioned in posts in the past. I'm sure someone with that experience will be along to comment. But I think for shows that just have a simple squirt (like a quick squirt gun), it won't be a problem; for shows like Fantasmic you may want to avoid sitting in the first few rows where it's possible to get wet.

Enjoy your vacation!

My daughter with Down syndrome has worn aids since she was 4 and she’s 34 now. She takes them off for all fast rides like roller coasters and any chance of wetness. I carry a plastic bag to keep them in. They are very expensive and I won’t take a chance on one flying out on a coaster. Plus some rides are so loud. Her aids adjust to sound automatically but I just feel better taking them out.

My daughter with Down syndrome has worn aids since she was 4 and she’s 34 now. She takes them off for all fast rides like roller coasters and any chance of wetness. I carry a plastic bag to keep them in. They are very expensive and I won’t take a chance on one flying out on a coaster. Plus some rides are so loud. Her aids adjust to sound automatically but I just feel better taking them out.

Thanks! I agree that they are expensive and I don’t want to take a chance on them. I was planning on bringing ziplock bags for rides like Splash or Test Track. I was more nervous about rides or shows I might not think about that could have water elements.

Does your daughter get overwhelmed at all by all the noise in lines or rides? I’m not sure how my little guy will fare.

That may depend on what you consider "priority seating" and what his needs are. Seating at shows will be handled by the CMs at those shows/attractions. Guest Relations doesn't issue anything for this, just speak to the CMs at the attraction to let them know your request (front, center, etc.).

As to what to do with the hearing aids -- I have seen this mentioned in posts in the past. I'm sure someone with that experience will be along to comment. But I think for shows that just have a simple squirt (like a quick squirt gun), it won't be a problem; for shows like Fantasmic you may want to avoid sitting in the first few rows where it's possible to get wet.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks! If it seems like a problem I will mention it to the CMs in advance. I am a little nervous about squirting shows to be honest. While the aid is supposedly water resistant I really don’t want to test that theory out at Disney World. Plus I planned on leaving his special drying kit at the hotel to put it in each night.

I am a little nervous about squirting shows to be honest.
I guess my point about that is the water is less likely to hit him directly in/around the ear. He may or may not get spritzed at all, and if so it is just as likely to be in his chest or hair - but I understand your concern.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks! I agree that they are expensive and I don’t want to take a chance on them. I was planning on bringing ziplock bags for rides like Splash or Test Track. I was more nervous about rides or shows I might not think about that could have water elements.

Does your daughter get overwhelmed at all by all the noise in lines or rides? I’m not sure how my little guy will fare.
No she doesn’t seem to be bothered by any noise. I think because her aids auto adjust to her surroundings nothing seems too loud or irritating where it does for us. We took her to a Backstreet Boys concert that was sooo loud my husband almost left until one of the ushers brought us ear plugs. Alex wasn’t bothered at all. But she has been wearing aids for so long it’s just second nature.

For the show mikes philharmonic dose for sure I think Muppet might but I think it is very little but both are more on your face. If they do fall out during a ride lat a CM know that his hearing aids that are medical devices fell out and where. While they will not stop rides for most dropped items they will for medical device ( I know from first hand experience). I am sure I have missed a few show

For the show mikes philharmonic dose for sure I think Muppet might but I think it is very little but both are more on your face. If they do fall out during a ride lat a CM know that his hearing aids that are medical devices fell out and where. While they will not stop rides for most dropped items they will for medical device ( I know from first hand experience). I am sure I have missed a few show

Thanks! That’s my nightmare. His hearing aid does have a safety harness that clips onto his shirt in the event it falls off. We were thinking of adding a second safety line for Disney. We will be removing the aid during any fast rides like Test Track.

Flight of Passage spritzes water on you. It's just a super fine mist (so fine my mom didn't even notice it the first time we rode) and I'd think with them being water resistant it should be fine, but since you asked.... Enjoy your trip!

Flight of Passage spritzes water on you. It's just a super fine mist (so fine my mom didn't even notice it the first time we rode) and I'd think with them being water resistant it should be fine, but since you asked.... Enjoy your trip!
Yes FOP dose I have a huge sensory problem with water hitting my face and it is such a fine mist I sometimes do not notice it and when I do I am ok with it.
Op i would keep the hearing aid clipped ( if it is like the ones my friends son use it clips to the back of the shirt). They some times use a head covering that covers the head and ears so he dose not pull them out. I am not sure where they got it or if it is even for this purpose but that would give you one more safety thing to keep you from losing them

I wear a hearing aid and CI myself and both are pricey (pretty sure the aid is 5000, and the implant is double that- not sure completely as they were covered by insurance/OVR) but the hearing aid typically stays on the entire time for me, while the CI comes off on rides that are more rough- RnR, sometimes BTMR, SDMT.

I’ve actually worn mine on Kali and Splash as well. Any show that squirts water is really no big deal since it’s not much to even get you wet, and the hearing aid isn’t in a place that would be accessible by the spray.

Hearing aids have become more water resistant over the last few decades, and within the last decade, so have implants. I don’t swim with the hearing aid, but splashes are fine for the most part. I’d check the rating on what your son has, but drying them at night should be all you need to do.

One thing I do want to note is that I have a full ear mold for my hearing aid (profound hearing loss), so it takes some force to pull it out and doesn’t really get close to falling out, but depending on what your son has, maybe you want to take it out.

I also wear hearing aids and as a precaution, I do take them out when on the roller coaster rides only. I cannot take the chance of these falling out since I'm one of those with hearing loss since a child and I'm pretty deaf without them. I had no idea you can attach a safety harness to your shirt which is such a great idea!I might look into getting that because I love Rock n Rollercoaster and I miss out on hearing the music. Like many of the people here giving feedback, he should be fine with the water spritzes if they hit his ear-just wipe them off with a towel. I have noticed that sometimes the Florida humidity affects my hearing quality. It's nothing alarming by all means, it's that the sound seems sort of muffled. When I take them out overnight it gives them a chance to dry out and they are fine the next day. But, I do bring an old pair of hearing aids in case something goes wrong. Instead of putting the aids in a ziploc bag, I put mine in the side pocket of my backpack. Not to forget... I ALWAYS bring extra batteries with me to the parks because it happens EVERY time I'm on vacation they go dead. Also, since I have over-the-ear aids, I will be sure my tubing is fresh. It scares me that it will break and I will have to take time out of my trip to find a hearing aid company to fit me with a new one. I will NOT let anything rob me of my precious hearing that I already have and let it ruin my vacation! :)

Here is just some food for thought for rides and shows where you wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a hearing aid (for the obvious reasons), but might still allow you to hear at least some things, if not all.

The latest version of Android has a very good Sound Amplifier option (which has a lot of fine tuning capabilities) that when combined with headphones/earbuds works for many people just as well (and for some cases better than) as some hearing aids. At bare minimum a quality, but inexpensive set of wired earbuds/headphones, when combined with a phone (such as the Google Pixel 3 or 4) that supports the feature may allow you to hear at least some of it and if you somehow lost them or they were damaged, you would only be out $30-$50 instead of potentially thousands. Obviously, I am not saying that this will work for everyone or even that it would be able to replace your headphones, I am simply offering it as a method that might allow some to experience parts of attractions they are missing because they are rightfully concerned about loosing or damaging their very expensive hearing aids.

I wear a hearing aid and CI myself and both are pricey (pretty sure the aid is 5000, and the implant is double that- not sure completely as they were covered by insurance/OVR) but the hearing aid typically stays on the entire time for me, while the CI comes off on rides that are more rough- RnR, sometimes BTMR, SDMT.

I’ve actually worn mine on Kali and Splash as well. Any show that squirts water is really no big deal since it’s not much to even get you wet, and the hearing aid isn’t in a place that would be accessible by the spray.

Hearing aids have become more water resistant over the last few decades, and within the last decade, so have implants. I don’t swim with the hearing aid, but splashes are fine for the most part. I’d check the rating on what your son has, but drying them at night should be all you need to do.

One thing I do want to note is that I have a full ear mold for my hearing aid (profound hearing loss), so it takes some force to pull it out and doesn’t really get close to falling out, but depending on what your son has, maybe you want to take it out.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My son has bone conducting aids that he wears on a headband against his skull so it sounds like a different type than what you have. I will definitely bring the dryer for night though!

I also wear hearing aids and as a precaution, I do take them out when on the roller coaster rides only. I cannot take the chance of these falling out since I'm one of those with hearing loss since a child and I'm pretty deaf without them. I had no idea you can attach a safety harness to your shirt which is such a great idea!I might look into getting that because I love Rock n Rollercoaster and I miss out on hearing the music. Like many of the people here giving feedback, he should be fine with the water spritzes if they hit his ear-just wipe them off with a towel. I have noticed that sometimes the Florida humidity affects my hearing quality. It's nothing alarming by all means, it's that the sound seems sort of muffled. When I take them out overnight it gives them a chance to dry out and they are fine the next day. But, I do bring an old pair of hearing aids in case something goes wrong. Instead of putting the aids in a ziploc bag, I put mine in the side pocket of my backpack. Not to forget... I ALWAYS bring extra batteries with me to the parks because it happens EVERY time I'm on vacation they go dead. Also, since I have over-the-ear aids, I will be sure my tubing is fresh. It scares me that it will break and I will have to take time out of my trip to find a hearing aid company to fit me with a new one. I will NOT let anything rob me of my precious hearing that I already have and let it ruin my vacation! :)

Thanks for the extra batteries tip! I didn’t think of that. I would not recommend the safety line for roller coasters though as I’ve heard from other families that lost the hearing aid on roller coasters even with the safety line to the shirt. Eventually the company found it but it was broken. :(

Here is just some food for thought for rides and shows where you wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a hearing aid (for the obvious reasons), but might still allow you to hear at least some things, if not all.

The latest version of Android has a very good Sound Amplifier option (which has a lot of fine tuning capabilities) that when combined with headphones/earbuds works for many people just as well (and for some cases better than) as some hearing aids. At bare minimum a quality, but inexpensive set of wired earbuds/headphones, when combined with a phone (such as the Google Pixel 3 or 4) that supports the feature may allow you to hear at least some of it and if you somehow lost them or they were damaged, you would only be out $30-$50 instead of potentially thousands. Obviously, I am not saying that this will work for everyone or even that it would be able to replace your headphones, I am simply offering it as a method that might allow some to experience parts of attractions they are missing because they are rightfully concerned about loosing or damaging their very expensive hearing aids.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe it will help someone with that type of aid. My son doesn’t have an ear canal so he needs a bone conduction hearing aid and good bone conducting headphones can get pricey. Luckily he has hearing in one ear so he can still hear without his aid, just not as well as with it.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe it will help someone with that type of aid. My son doesn’t have an ear canal so he needs a bone conduction hearing aid and good bone conducting headphones can get pricey. Luckily he has hearing in one ear so he can still hear without his aid, just not as well as with it.
No problem, as I said, I am sure it won't work for everyone, but it is something that Google has done an excellent job with and yet they don't advertise it very well, so if no one knows the option exists, it can't really help anyone. It isn't something I or my husband needs, but my husband is an IT manager and always explores the latest features, so I figure I should pass on what I know about in case it can help someone.

Also, another feature they added is if your haring aids are compatible, you can connect them directly to the phone (my guess is using Bluetooth) and use them as a hands free set.

Thanks for the extra batteries tip! I didn’t think of that. I would not recommend the safety line for roller coasters though as I’ve heard from other families that lost the hearing aid on roller coasters even with the safety line to the shirt. Eventually the company found it but it was broken. :(
You're welcome! Ok that is good to know about the safety line. I feel bad for the people who lost their aids this way. It's not just hard for the person but for the family as well. I'm sure it was a total loss and the insurance company didn't pay to replace them. I still can't figure out why after all of these years they are still not covered. >:(

That is new to me and I will have to check that out. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter