Rip Rocket-trying to overcome my fear!

DISNEYWITHCHILDREN

Mouseketeer
I told my 10 year old I would go on it. However we are bring a friend with us for her, so I can back out for my upcoming trip. But at some point we will go without her having a friend and I will need to go. She LOVES it.

I have more issues with virtual than coasters. I have a fear of falling out of a coaster and dying. I have no issues with:

-Gringrotts
-The Mummy
-Dr. Doom

at Disney I can do all the coasters and only issues I have had is after doing Everest 6 times in a row on a low capacity day started to feel sick.

My thinking and from opinions the worst part is that climb up and that first drop. How bad is this ride?

Rip It does go upside down, which is the difference from the previous roller coasters you have stated that you have no issues. You will be fine. You got this! However, I just did want to be honest and let you that small difference between this coaster and the others.

Drop seems dramatic, but as someone who loves coasters, but has issues with drops, I survived. If I did, you can too!

First: google the ride vehicle pictures. You will see how you are kept in the seat.

Second: no really, do it. Don’t wait to do it after your trip when you and your child are both bruised from reaching over your lap restraint for the death grip you had on her arm because you don’t understand how that lap thing is keeping your child in.

Third: the climb is crazy and scary and feels like two million years.

Fourth: the rest of the ride is terrific. Absolutely fun. No true inversions. Fun fun fun.

And I’m a person who started silently sobbing when my son wanted me to go on Doom, Hulk, AND Dragon Challenge in the same day. We’d done the first two, but thinking of another that day was too much. Thankfully his dad stepped in and delayed the ride til the next day. (His dad is a person of size and cannot fit on the big rides despite really wanting to.)(and like your daughter, my son CAN go alone, but I have images of death and destruction, and can’t handle the idea of that happening while he’s all alone on a ride. If that happens, well, we’re going out together)

I'll be honest, I don't feel so secure during that climb. The drop and the rest of the ride are great but that climb makes me nervous. I love rollercoasters. The Hulk is my fav at Uni. I go on everything at Six Flags Great America. I haven't yet been on the Joker but only because no one will go with me. Even dare devil DD thinks I'm nuts to consider it. She had zero issues with the RRR climb though so it seems to be a very personal thing.

The first incline is the only scary thing about that ride. You DO NOT go upside down. Keep your eyes closed until you feel yourself at the top of the hill.

It is important to ride at the front of this vehicle. The back can be so shaky it will give you a headache.

Last edited:

I'll give ya a dollar! lol The worst part is going up...you do feel like you could slip out but that's part of the fun....you won't. Look at it this way, it's 2 minutes out of your life. Do it!!!

DH and Nephew went on this ride 5 times in a row as there wasn't any line formation (not shocked by this!). The climb was what made me say NOPE! The rest of the ride looked fine for me. I don't like ANY climbs, they seem to take forever and it's torture for me.

I'm reading this thinking maybe I can overcome my fear of this ride! But just looking at that climb gives me a stomach ache!!

@bumbershoot you have nerves of steel to go on all those rides!! I haven't done Doom, Hulk, or Dragon Challenge! I am happily the designated "bag holder"

I avoided it like the plague for years in spite of my kids begging me to ride with reassurances that it wasn't that bad and I would like it if I tried it. I hate drops but I finally got up the courage to do it with the help of some liquid refreshment...it was awesome!

The worst part is the climb and that's over quickly so I say go for it.

Rip It does go upside down, which is the difference from the previous roller coasters you have stated that you have no issues. You will be fine. You got this! However, I just did want to be honest and let you that small difference between this coaster and the others.

Drop seems dramatic, but as someone who loves coasters, but has issues with drops, I survived. If I did, you can too!

It doesn’t go upside down. You go up and over the big circle but, you never go upside down.

OP give it a try......as other have said, it’s a fantastic ride........and fully agree with damo, sit at the front or as near the front.........the back is incredibly bumpy and not in a good way.

Alicefan is correct.......you do feel as if you’re coming out slighty as you climb.....the climb takes 13 seconds.......I counted the second time as the first time I was screaming my head off.........but you are perfectly safe, you don’t come close to falling out........it is so much fun and the music you choose makes it even better........

I always choose I will Survive by Gloria.........:thumbsup2

Im a thrill junkie so I love coasters but Rip Rocket is the one I try to avoid. For some reason it gives me a huge headache each time. I don't find it scary at all but it just knocks my head around too much.

I find the upside down ones tend to give me headaches, but I like RRR a lot. It's a nice long ride too, and fun at night. I agree that the first hill is scary because you think you may fall out. I eventually had to tell my kids I would only go on Hulk and Dragon Challenge (both sides) once per day as I got older, they could do them multiple times. Dr Doom I could do all day!

Rip Ride Rock-It is a great coaster. It is very fast, but as has been covered, does not actually go upside-down. If it did, it would need shoulder restraints. Just focus on your music selection and try not to think about the ride. Once it starts, it will be over before you know it. Give it a shot and have fun!

@bumbershoot you have nerves of steel to go on all those rides!! I haven't done Doom, Hulk, or Dragon Challenge! I am happily the designated "bag holder"

I don’t!! But if I don’t go, then I have to send my “baby” all alone, and that idea makes me sicker than the rides do. His dad doesn’t fit on the thrill rides, which is sad because he would love to do those.

Thankfully my son didn’t love Doom, and that’s the worst of them all for me.

Oh wait. Pteranodon Flyers is the worst. I did nothing on that ride but imagine falling to our deaths while on that long slow awful ride. I’m so glad my son grew so fast. :)

I'm a coaster person and am not typically afraid of them. Love the Hulk. But that initial climb on RRR going completely straight up gets me. It gives me an irrational fear of falling out and I can feel my back sliding as it's climbing up. I know realistically that I will not fall out, but it does give you the feeling that you will. If that's what's already stopping you from riding, be warned that this portion of the ride may give you that feeling.

That said, the rest of the ride - even that first drop - is totally fine. Almost boring, in fact. No inversions so not much else happens after that initial climb.

I had to work up my nerve and let ds1 ride once solo before I could ride. When I did, I loved it and went right back on. :)

Thanks everyone! I am feeling much braver about giving it a try!

Excellent.

Please do google the ride vehicle restraint, so you understand how you’re being kept in place. It’ll help quell any panic during the lift.

It’s all in the molded seat and how it goes up to meet the lap thing. And having at least one natural knee. (No really, it’s in the accessibility information...one natural leg and the other leg has to reach the end of the seat...https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/files/Documents/universal-orlando-riders-guide.pdf)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter