Riviera Resale-Wow?

the best way to think about it i guess is anyones opinion on HOA. some people want no HOA (its my house i want to do with it whatever i please), some want a weak HOA (eh, i like some rules but dont tread to much), and some like really strong HOA (i dont want any jackbutt homeowners screwing around and driving down the price of the whole neighborhood, despite the high fee and stringent rules). we just fall in line with the third option.
I understand this analogy yet you see the people who don’t maintain their home or aren’t keeping up their yard. When you’re staying at the resorts, you have no idea who payed Disney directly or bought resale and are getting the same exact experience with the difference being the resale owner has a larger bank account.... 😂....I kid, I kid. I get the blue card benefits but once you have the blue card, doesn’t make much sense to buy direct IMO, and just an opinion, which is why they keep upping the blue card minimum and then tried this resale restriction because Disney can come to the same conclusion.

yeah, that describes us perfectly, for better or worse.
we are hoping that resale restrictions collapse the resale market. 100% of the points we own (or have ever owned actually) have been bought through disney, and wish they exercised right of first refusal on all contracts. it depresses the value of the program and perks they can offer when someone can get in with the minimum direct buy in and then load up on cheap (er) resale contracts.

I don’t think Disney would offer you more perks even if there were only direct purchasers allowed. In fact, they might not offer any perks at all, because they would be the only game in town. Competition is good for everyone.

Also, the idea that people who spend more money are of a higher class is completely laughable. Spending more money just means you spent more money. That is beginning and end of what it means.

I don’t think Disney would offer you more perks even if there were only direct purchasers allowed. In fact, they might not offer any perks at all, because they would be the only game in town. Competition is good for everyone.

Also, the idea that people who spend more money are of a higher class is completely laughable. Spending more money just means you spent more money. That is beginning and end of what it means.
no, its not being proud of spending more money. its "i paid $70000 for my luxury car and want others to pay the same i paid". like, if you live in a neighborhood where every house cost the same identical 200000, and then one of your neighbors list their home for sale for 110000, it would chap you some yeah?

we arent proud of spending $188/pt. we wish it was cheaper just like anything else in the world. but we paid $188 and would appreciate disney exerting more control to keep that price up (the HOA analogy).

no, its not being proud of spending more money. its "i paid $70000 for my luxury car and want others to pay the same i paid". like, if you live in a neighborhood where every house cost the same identical 200000, and then one of your neighbors list their home for sale for 110000, it would chap you some yeah?
as soon as you drive the car off the lot, you lose $5,000 there too.

we are hoping that resale restrictions collapse the resale market. 100% of the points we own (or have ever owned actually) have been bought through disney, and wish they exercised right of first refusal on all contracts. it depresses the value of the program and perks they can offer when someone can get in with the minimum direct buy in and then load up on cheap (er) resale contracts.

Wow, I just... Wow.

You know perks are paid for out of the marketing budget, right? If DVC is the only game in town, they'd have no incentive to offer any perks and i bet they'd yank them instantly. Also, forcing resale restrictions DOES drive down the value of what you own.

...I don't think I'm going to bother any further, but this is one of the most impressively bad takes on DVC I've ever seen.

we arent proud of spending $188/pt. we wish it was cheaper just like anything else in the world. but we paid $188 and would appreciate disney exerting more control to keep that price up (the HOA analogy).
"exerting more control to keep the price up"..... GCV was $90 point direct when it opened, it's $260 now just over 10 years later. Go look at BC and BWV.... Apparently they are keeping a gun to some people's heads to get them to buy direct when those people know about the resale market. I'm not sure what else you want them to do!

as soon as you drive the car off the lot, you lose $5,000 there too.
but the car is used at that point...i guess it wasnt a perfect example for me. our points in 2040 will be just as fresh as the points we got this year, so i couldve used a better example. but i get your point and hope you understand mine, whether we are in agreement or not. :)

Wow, I just... Wow.

You know perks are paid for out of the marketing budget, right? If DVC is the only game in town, they'd have no incentive to offer any perks and i bet they'd yank them instantly. Also, forcing resale restrictions DOES drive down the value of what you own.

...I don't think I'm going to bother any further, but this is one of the most impressively bad takes on DVC I've ever seen.
well, i wouldve offered a thoughtful reply, but if you are done, then thats ok too. we dont have to agree, itll be ok.

So to prevent this you are in favor of resale restrictions which make the points less attractive to resale buyers? Why wouldn't you want to keep the resale high? I'm not sure you've thought this through...

And god bless you if you ever NEED to sell. Disney would love to give you $25/point.

No, because I would be the one that would buy the $200,000 house for $100,000 after negotiation. :rotfl:

So to prevent this you are in favor of resale restrictions which make the points less attractive to resale buyers? Why wouldn't you want to keep the resale high? I'm not sure you've thought this through...

And god bless you if you ever NEED to sell. Disney would love to give you $25/point.
I think if they lifted the resale restrictions, you’d be VERY happy paying $188 because they would be charging $225 and getting it direct and the resale contracts would come up fairly close to what you paid now, let alone to what it would be worth in 10 years. Given what’s going on now, they could create a lot of money out of thin air by simply changing the restriction and selling the remaining points for more. The fact that they are instead offering incentives (lower prices) probably means the restrictions aren’t going anywhere and they have a long game in mind.

@5th gate dreamers - I appreciate you sharing your view on this. While I don't quite follow your logic on how it helps keep the price up or helps member perks, I get that you want a "premium benefit" over someone who purchased at a discount.

As for the pros of resale restrictions, I can see a couple of benefits... (just thinking about this off the top of my head):
  • Better seven month availability at other resorts vs resale (especially as Disney continues to build out more DVC), and obviously, better seven month availability at other resorts over RIV resale as they are stuck at RIV.
  • More breakage (from RIV resale points that can't be used to book a "last minute" reservation outside or RIV) - which may help with MF's
The seven month availability advantage may also be a benefit to other direct non-RIV members, as seven month availability (and even 11 month availability) can be difficult at some resorts already. This completely blocks RIV resale points from making that situation even worse.

@5th gate dreamers - I appreciate you sharing your view on this. While I don't quite follow your logic on how it helps keep the price up or helps member perks, I get that you want a "premium benefit" over someone who purchased at a discount.

Quibble... Resale owners did not purchase at a discount.. they paid market value, more or less. Direct owners paid a premium.

Most re-sale owners don't have a problem with direct owners getting extra perks.. but the value of their own purchase shouldn't be diminished or squashed because they didn't buy direct.

Its a timeshare though and It’s not up to DVD to worry about resale market.

Now that there are differences, at least paying direct prices does get your more...whether it’s worth the cost depends on a situation.

But, I don’t agree that those who buy resale to save money are any less than those buying direct. And, no, I would not be bothered if someone decided to sell a house near me for less than what the neighborhood might be assessed at, it’s their business and not mine.

I have a mix of direct and resale and don’t view how someone became a member better or worse.

Last edited:
If you want your investment to retain it's value, then you don't want Disney crushing the re-sale market. Because then you would just have another worthless timeshare that you couldn't get out of even if you paid someone to take it...

Unless you're advocating that you want Disney to hold all of the cards, essentially locking you in for the full length of your contract with no ability to get out. In which case... Bye bye perks.

As for the pros of resale restrictions, I can see a couple of benefits... (just thinking about this off the top of my head):
  • Better seven month availability at other resorts vs resale (especially as Disney continues to build out more DVC), and obviously, better seven month availability at other resorts over RIV resale as they are stuck at RIV.
  • More breakage (from RIV resale points that can't be used to book a "last minute" reservation outside or RIV) - which may help with MF's
The seven month availability advantage may also be a benefit to other direct non-RIV members, as seven month availability (and even 11 month availability) can be difficult at some resorts already. This completely blocks RIV resale points from making that situation even worse.
These are some good points with a perfect example of being Disney growing tired of people buying OKW and SSR points and trading into One BR’s at GFV etc.... they tried maneuvering the point charts around to entice non peak time booking but the fall is the hot time plus the usual peak times so people willing to go in early Dec, September, early May etc....can buy SSR and get fairly decent 7 month choices especially for one BR.

WOW- Does it bother you when you fly somewhere and you find out the passengers next to you paid less for their ticket?
Or do you only fly 1st Class, so those who pay less for the same flight are actually kept in a "lower-class" cabin??
When I traveled extensively for business, I would occasionally get bumped up to 1st Class. I bet sitting next to you, being comped into 1st Class would "chap you some" if you paid the 1st Class premium price. You would probably suggest that I not get the hot towel, the mimosa, nor the better meal! :stir:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!