Rock n' Roller Coaster

cd&kids

DIS Veteran
Just finished reading a discussion in a separate website about this ride. I've never tried it...would like to, but need a little more info!
How much of the ride is in the dark? About how many upside-down flips do you do during it?
I like old-fashioned fast roller coasters...not too crazy about flipping over or being in the dark, though.
I know people who love this ride are craaaaaazy over it and say it's the best. But I'd like opinions from chickens out there who have tried it as well! Thanks!!

:eek:

I did this ride on both trips. I get very queezy on Star Tours and I HATE TofT...but I kinda like Rockn'Roller Coaster.

The take off looks scary but it's very smooth. It's all in the dark with glow in the dark things all around.

I think you do 2 or 3 loops but because they are in the dark you hardly feel them. Very smooth, not jerky and even though I'm a chicken, I kinda liked it (but just once a trip...);)

I hadn't been on a roller coaster in 30 years and my kids talked me into RNR. I couldn't get enough of it!! It's great!!!! You don't really notice the loops. We did an Illuminations Cruise and got dropped off at MGM after because they were still opened (Easter) and the first thing we did was head to RNR. This was after they had forced me on it earlier in the day.

Rockin Roller Coaster was the very first roller coaster that I did that went upside down. I was terrified of any coaster that went upside down, but when I saw Rockin Roller Coaster (I love Steven Tyler), I just had to do it. No regrets here. I absolutely love it. It is such a smooth ride and I think that being in the dark helped. You really did not know when the loops were coming and you hardly knew you were upside down. In fact, now I am not terrified to do a roller coaster that goes upside down even in the daylight.

Another chicken here, and I did it and it was fine. You really don't even notice the dark or upside down parts. In fact, I was so quiet that my niece thought I had passed out but I was just waiting for the scary parts! It is fast, that's for sure, but don't worry about the inversions.

Sounds pretty cool. How about the darkness? Is it dark the entire time....half....75-percent?

The station and launch block is poorly lit. The rest of the ride is dark, illuminated only by props that light up as you pass by.

The coaster has three inversions -- a butterfly loop (two inversions) and a corkscrew. If you're interested in seeing what the ride actually looks like, you can see it here.

It's really a very, very tame roller coaster. It's one big, boring left turn, I think, but enjoy the ride because of the unique on board sound.

I guess I have differing opinions, but I thought this coaster was pretty intense. I consider Space Mountain to be a very very tame roller coaster, but RnRC is far from it. IMO, the take off is much WORSE than it looks. Standing in line, it didn't look nearly as fast as it actually felt in the seat. Sure there are no big drops, but the rest of the coaster is still very fast. I enjoyed it, but for those who don't usually like coasters, I don't think they'll like this one either. And I'm not sure how you could "not notice" the dark parts since the entire ride is in the dark.

Originally posted by Mickeyluver37
I guess I have differing opinions, but I thought this coaster was pretty intense. I consider Space Mountain to be a very very tame roller coaster, but RnRC is far from it. IMO, the take off is much WORSE than it looks. Standing in line, it didn't look nearly as fast as it actually felt in the seat. Sure there are no big drops, but the rest of the coaster is still very fast. I enjoyed it, but for those who don't usually like coasters, I don't think they'll like this one either. And I'm not sure how you could "not notice" the dark parts since the entire ride is in the dark.

Well, it's entirely a matter of experience and perspective. As far as launched coasters go, Rockin' Roller Coaster is weak. There are some much, much more powerful launches out there -- from Mission: Space to Hypersonic XLC to Batman and Robin: The Chiller. After the launch, the ride is forceless as compared to most other similarly sized looping coasters.

It is mostly the launch that freaks me out. I went on it once and I was so worried about the take off that I put my feet up and tensed up. It kinda hurt my neck because I was so tight. The rest of the ride was pretty basic. You really don't feel much of the loops, just kind of pressure. I know I would have loved it much more if I didn't panic at the beginning. I think if I can manage M/S then I will try RNR again.

I loved this roller coaster! It was very smooth compared to a lot of other coasters that are so jerky. The launch is very fast, but SO FUN. If I'm remembering correctly, the whole ride is in the dark with glowing things all around.

Originally posted by MaddieinWonderland

The coaster has three inversions -- a butterfly loop (two inversions) and a corkscrew. If you're interested in seeing what the ride actually looks like, you can see it here.

Actually, it doesn't have a butterfly loop (check out Goudurix in Parc Asterix or Ninji in Six Flags over Georgia for a butterfly loop). It has a Sea Serpent as its first and second inversions.

But I agree, it's not the best of coasters. Many people probably would not ride it if they knew what they were getting into:p .

Originally posted by damo
Actually, it doesn't have a butterfly loop (check out Goudrix in Parc Asterix for a butterfly loop). It has a Sea Serpent as its first and second inversions.

But I agree, it's not the best of coasters. Many people probably would not ride it if they knew what they were getting into:p .

Well, I've always been under the impression that Vekoma doesn't use the "sea serpent" terminology and has another name for it -- though, I did know that name wasn't "butterfly loop." I was just too lazy to look up whatever Vekoma likes to call it :)

Ninja (formerly Kamikaze) at Six Flags over Georgia shares the butterfly loop element of Gouderix along with the nasty reputation.

Vekoma probably calls it halfloop, half corkscrew, half corkscrew, halfloop:p :p :p

(not a big Vekoma fan)

The launch always gets me on this one...I feel like I've left my stomache behind. The rest of the ride is not too intense or scary, but is fast and a lot of fun with the music blasting and darkness all around. It is completely dark, except for the illuminated road signs and other landmarks. However, I think it does bump your head around alot, and after I road it three times Monday morning, I could not bear to ride it again, even if I'd wanted to. My head really hurt every time it banged against the headrest. Maybe it was just sore muscles after sleeping in an unfamiliar bed all weekend long! My head didn't hurt nearly so much the day before when we also rode it three times :)

Hey everybody...as usual, thanks so much for all the advice/input/comments. Without a doubt, I've decided to try it!!
My only reservation...I'm 44 years old...and not sure if everyone who said they love it on these posts is more like 22!
But after all is said and done, I'm very excited about it! My 14-year-old son (not at all a roller coaster lover) said HE'LL go with me after reading about it...and my 10-year-old daughter (pretty adventurous) says she'll go also!
I think the one thing that convinced me is the "smoothness" that a lot of people talked about. I enjoy Space Mountain (me and my daughter go every time as a tradition!)...but honestly, the older I get, the more I don't like the unexpected "jerkiness" of going in a certain direction that you're not expecting because of the darkness. That's what had me concerned about this ride. I was worried that it would be a much faster roller coaster than SM and because of the darkness, the unexpected twists and turns (and turning upseide down!) would leave my with a sore neck and back!
But again...it sounds wonderful and I can't wait. Thanks again to everyone who convinced me to try something that I've passed on in the past...and probably should not have!!
(By the way, my all time favorite ride of any kind at any park in the world is Tower of Terror! Just to give an idea of what I like!!)

Well I am also 44 and just came back and tried Rockin'n'Roller Coaster for the first time!!! It was good.....probably great but I was too petrified to open my eyes - lol!!! The looks on my kids faces in the picture are too funny and I am the only one with a smile on my face (eyes closed of course).

I don't like roller coasters....this is probably the 4th one I have been on in 15 years. I HATE Space Mountain and am NOT thrilled with Splash Mountain either...something about those drops!! I only felt one drop on this coaster and it didnt feel very big.

I think I will go on it again next time I am there so it couldnt have been that bad huh.

you have to go! it is a bunch of fun and while waiting for it, make sure another person in your party get's a fast pass for tower of terror

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter