Romaine lettuce is not safe to eat, CDC warns U.S. consumers!!

SCSteve

Mouseketeer
Romaine lettuce is not safe to eat, CDC warns U.S. consumers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8d56320866ed

Romaine lettuce is unsafe to eat in any form, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday in a broad alert in response to a new outbreak of illnesses caused by a particularly dangerous type of E. coli contamination.

The CDC told consumers to throw away any romaine lettuce they may already have purchased. Restaurants should not serve it, stores should not sell it, and people should not buy it, no matter where or when the lettuce was grown. It doesn’t matter if it is chopped, whole head or part of a mix. All romaine should be avoided.

I wonder why such a broad ban? And why only that particular kind of lettuce? Aren't different kinds of lettuce often grown in close proximity to each other?

I just saw this on the news also, thanks for posting for those that don't know. Just bought a bag yesterday, it is unopened; have receipt, bringing it back since I have to go to the grocery anyway tomorrow morning. Supposedly a very serious strain of e coli, some have had liver failure. Hopefully, the word will get out. A friend was just in the grocery store and all romaine, including bagged lettuce varieties with romaine, including Caesar salad bagged lettuce has been removed from shelves. Be careful in restaurants though!:scared1:

I just tossed my organic 50/50 Spring Mix in the trash. Apparently, Spring Mix includes baby Romaine which I didn't even know until I read the article.

I'm guessing Green and Red Leaf are safe? I'll have to get some tomorrow.

My husband made a ceasar salad for dinner and we all ate it. We watched the news after dinner!!! I’m panicking. I guess there is not much I can do now, right?

When was at the grocery store this morning, returned the unopened bag of lettuce with my receipt, bought it yesterday. When I had it in a bag, the customer service person said, let me guess, lettuce return! YEP! Must be ALOT of lettuce returns!

My husband made a ceasar salad for dinner and we all ate it. We watched the news after dinner!!! I’m panicking. I guess there is not much I can do now, right?

Don't worry. The odds of you getting sick due to it are very slim to none. Plus, it's already been nearly a day. Felt sick?

Seems like such an incredibly wide ban - which doesn't make sense to me...How can it not matter where it was grown/packaged?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter