Romaine lettuce is not safe to eat, CDC warns U.S. consumers!!

I don't eat salad or lettuce of any kind. Crisis averted. I've been trying to warn my family for years that vegetables will kill us all.

I agree, I hate lettuce, always have.

(ok I do eat other veggies)

I don't eat salad or lettuce of any kind. Crisis averted. I've been trying to warn my family for years that vegetables will kill us all.

Nor do I. And as a wise man named Homer Simpson once said, you don't win friends with salad.

So is Disney still serving romaine? I’m wondering what will be my go-to quick service healthy-ish options...?

This made vacation tough. I really need a good, dark green leafy salad once a day on vacation to counteract all of the other garbage I’m eating. I couldn’t get the Colony salad at LTT on Wednesday. That’s how we found out about it. Got a nice field green mix at Leaky Cauldron in Universal on Thursday and Saturday. Got another field green salad at Fast Food Blvd on Friday. Mythos at Uni only had ice berg yesterday. Three Broomsticks today had their usual ice berg. Can’t wait to buy some baby kale tomorrow.

This seems to happen with alarming regularity, what's going wrong in the process between picking and arriving at the stores in a bag that e coli infections keep happening?

I have a feeling Romaine's reputation is heading for the gutter. I'll just stick to Iceberg and Rapunzel (Lambs) until this all blows over.

This seems to happen with alarming regularity, what's going wrong in the process between picking and arriving at the stores in a bag that e coli infections keep happening?

It's contaminated water that is the issue. You can thank the current administration's reversal of rules governing water treatment for crops for this mess. When e coli infected irrigation water is used, the bacteria gets inside the leaves so it's not something you can wash away.

All this just to save farmers some $$$, meanwhile it is costing much, much more in healthcare costs and lost revenue for both suppliers and retailers. Expect more of this in the future.

It's contaminated water that is the issue. You can thank the current administration's reversal of rules governing water treatment for crops for this mess. When e coli infected irrigation water is used, the bacteria gets inside the leaves so it's not something you can wash away.

All this just to save farmers some $$$, meanwhile it is costing much, much more in healthcare costs and lost revenue for both suppliers and retailers. Expect more of this in the future.

It's rules for water testing, not water treatment. But this is a farming problem, not a problem made in Washington. Farmers are pretty messed up if they're so careless about their customers' life and death that they irrigate their crops with water contaminated by cattle manure, and (apparently) keep on doing so after repeated outbreaks. If they've already been selling contaminated product and killing customers with impunity then it's hard to see how new rules are going to influence them.

And never mind bureaucrats and politicians ... are the wholesalers and grocery chains so immune from lawsuits etc. that they can't be bothered investigating how their suppliers keep on producing and selling them dangerous products year after year? If it was a car with faulty accelerators or gas tanks you literally wouldn't hear the end of the scandal.

Seems to me that a big grocery wholesaler's lawyers should be explaining to them that it would be better to spend $50k sending inspectors down to check out their suppliers' farming operations every year, than to spend $5 million plus on defense lawyers and 10 times that on settlements.

Before blaming rules, regulations by any governing authority, are we really sure where the contaminated lettuce is coming from?

I'm pretty sure there were contaminated lettuce events prior to 2017.

You can thank the current administration's reversal of rules governing water treatment
Can you please cite the specific changes in policy regarding this? I don't know of any federal guidelines or regulations that changed in the last two years... California has some of the strictest rules for testing and assessing water quality. I see this as a failure of oversight at the state level, frankly.

We had a candlelight dinner at one of the Italy restaurants on Friday and my wife tried to order a caeser salad with no success. We had totally forgotten about this issue (news isn’t a priority with 2 young girls while on vacation).

As far as who to blame, not really sure you can put this one on the current administration, lol. That’s pretty far off since this has been going on for some time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter