Rude Rude Rude

I have never seen anything to be removed either (although a small child using a bush in wdw as a toilet possibly?!), but for sure there should be rules and consequences and enforced. But no one knows the rules, people come from all over the world with different norms and cultures, there needs to be literally a rule sign, rules of proper behavior in the guidebooks/maps/entries/posters as you enter. Maybe I think it's fine to scream at a cm, but if wdw tells me their rules and says it's not fine and you must leave the park if you do, then I will know this and behave accordingly (or not). It's a private place, they need to make rules clear to those who enter and what will happen if they break the rules. end.

agreed, And that doesn't make any of us bad people. We are all equals, we are all paying good money to be there, we are all worthy of having a nice visit.

Oh boy, this is a fun thread. I'll just say this - summarizing an entire generation is way too simple. When I was in high school and college, it was all about Generation X was a generation of slackers that expected everything to happen for us without working. The same thing is being said about millennials and younger generations now. Yes, technology continues to change, and each generation has its own trends. All we can do is focus on what we do ourselves and try not to feed the wrong wolves, to quote an underrated recent Disney film.

I often wondered why the parks don't have rule signs and rules of behavior in the park maps, on posters, as you enter, etc. I think you need to exit the park for example if you abusive (verbally, etc.) a cm with your mouth. You need to leave, that should be a hard fast rule written as you walk into the park. You need to be told unfortunately that toileting must be in the restrooms (yes, I have seen a child going #2 on the ground outside in the wdw park in the bushes last year). You need to be told not to smoke and that there are places to go for smoking on a rule board big and bold written everywhere. No littering. People have to told this. It's a private facility and what is common sense to me may not be common sense to others. Also, a vacation allows us to be on top of our beautiful small children 24/7 when many parents aren't just used to that because of work/school so causing stress 'just because'. I also notice others' beahviors more as my kids age and I am not supervising my small kids anymore in the parks so I see things I used to not see because my eyes were on my own kids not yours. Now my head is up, I can shop, I can watch shows , I can walk around and observe others behaviors. And yes, society is worse. Instead of saying 'shut up'which was bad enough in school the new verbage is: go kill yourself. yep, it just means go away, shut up, i don't like you, get away. Nice....

People still wouldn't read the signs. They are in a hurry to get where they are going. The stuff Disney does provide in writing people don't bother to read.

At Disney, people are either in slow motion or fast forward. There's no in between.

The New Yorker in me is driven nuts by the slow motion group that. randomly. stops. in. the. middle. of. Main. Street... but it's understandable.

The fast forward runs everywhere and is always in a rush. What drives me nuts is:

- parents that allow their kids to run around in a crowded park

- people who WILL NOT wait for you to exit the elevator or to leave a store before walking in

- people who cut others in the bus. They show up last and yet are the first on the bus

At Disney, people are either in slow motion or fast forward. There's no in between.

The New Yorker in me is driven nuts by the slow motion group that. randomly. stops. in. the. middle. of. Main. Street... but it's understandable.

The fast forward runs everywhere and is always in a rush. What drives me nuts is:

- parents that allow their kids to run around in a crowded park

- people who WILL NOT wait for you to exit the elevator or to leave a store before walking in

- people who cut others in the bus. They show up last and yet are the first on the bus
@PlutoTheDog89 - The New Joisey (currently) in me is totally agreeing with the New Yawkuh (formerly) in you on all of these! :)

Oh boy, this is a fun thread. I'll just say this - summarizing an entire generation is way too simple. When I was in high school and college, it was all about Generation X was a generation of slackers that expected everything to happen for us without working. The same thing is being said about millennials and younger generations now. Yes, technology continues to change, and each generation has its own trends. All we can do is focus on what we do ourselves and try not to feed the wrong wolves, to quote an underrated recent Disney film.

Yes, i think lack of consideration comes from the parents. I don't think it's a generational thing, I think it's a parenting thing. From a young age, parents should be teaching their kids to consider those around them. That doesn't mean that kids cant be kids while in the parks, it just helps children realize that they are not the only person in the world and to have some consideration for other people's personal space and comfort. If we all minded our manners a little more, I'm sure there'd be less annoyances. Some annoyances are simply unavoidable--the lines, the heat, the humidity, the amount of walking, the crowds, etc... Those are staples to a WDW visit in the height of the summer season, but shouting at the top of your lungs, aggressively pushing and shoving, cutting in line, running/cutting people off in wheelchairs and strollers, snapping pics with a massive ipad while others are trying to enjoy the fireworks directly behind you, all is just rude.

A couple of thoughts....

I disagree with the notion that it is an overcrowding issue. There have been times in the past where the parks and other places were very full, or at capacity and there still existed a different civility then we see now. Also - I disagree with it everyone that constant blames the youth. Most bad behavior I see comes from ADULTS. I think blaming entitled kids, or Millenials for everything is a lazy excuse as well.

I do not pretend to have an answer (I am not a Sociologist or someone schooled in these issues) - but as far as an opinion - we are a society that is under a lot of stress, polarization and we too frequently celebrate competition over collaboration. I think a lot of people go to the parks under a lot of pressure to have the "ideal" Disney experience. We celebrate on these boards getting the best FastPasses, the best reservations, and the best places for viewing parades & fireworks - not to mention rushing to get to the next attraction to squeeze everything into their day. When things don't go as planned, I think that is where people start to go sideways in how they treat others. Lack of consideration is deteriorating in many facets of our society, so it is inevitable that it would eventually show up in our Disney parks.

Other cultures seem to handle the parks a lot better then we are in WDW. Reading trip reports from places like Tokyo and Shanghai makes me think that they, as a culture, show a lot more respect toward one another then us. Maybe we can work as individuals to be more kind, show more empathy and try to respect each other so that examples of good behavior become more of the norm and we can turn the tide of this unfortunate rude behavior.

we are a society that is under a lot of stress, polarization and we too frequently celebrate competition over collaboration. I think a lot of people go to the parks under a lot of pressure to have the "ideal" Disney experience. We celebrate on these boards getting the best FastPasses, the best reservations, and the best places for viewing parades & fireworks - not to mention rushing to get to the next attraction to squeeze everything into their day.

I think you are on the right track here. We live in a microwave society--we want what we want and it we want it at exactly this moment. If it means pushing through a crowd of people or cutting an elderly person off in a wheelchair or cutting in front of a mother doing her best to cart her children around in the parks, so be it. On the reverse, I think that same consideration can be returned; if you're a parent with a stroller or have a family member in a wheel chair, remaining to the side will yield the best results for you. Nothing irritates me more than a family taking up the entirety of main street as if no one else has anywhere to be. I think considering the fact that everyone has somewhere to be and not just your family would help everyone out tremendously. But with that being said, a simple "excuse me" would suffice, pushing and cutting doesn't need to come into play. And yes, CHEMISTP, pressure comes into play as well. "we paid x amount of dollars to be here, we waited x amount of months to come here, we flew x amount of hours to be here", etc, all makes you feel so much more obligated to squeeze every little magic moment into your day, meanwhile you're not even genuinely enjoying yourself, you're just going through the motions. I think this entire thread can be boiled down to two words: Patience, and consideration. Patience with the inevitable: waits, crowds, bus rides, etc, and consideration for those around you who would also like to have a nice visit, just like you :)

just a bit of a rant here, but it seems like every year I go to Disney, the people get more and more rude, pushy, and overall unbelievable with what they let their kids do.

A day has not gone by where I have not been stepped on, slammed into, or pushed. All for these people to get ahead 30 seconds - or in the case after the fireworks, to get no where fast. Or stopping in the middle of walkways, when there are people walking behind you, just to look at their phone or a map, or talk. Running people over with strollers. No im sorry ever muttered.

Let's talk about the amount of children I've seen standing on chairs at shows, jumping on them- in the middle of dark shows. Completely limiting the views of those behind them. And the mickey ears- no one takes them off for shows anymore, again with the view problems.

And the masses of phones and external lighting at the fireworks! It's terrible!

It's unbelievable how completely oblivious, rude, and self centered 75% of the people currently in wdw are.

Rant over, for now. Ann I just overly sensitive or does everyone experience this nonsens?! Will enjoy my remaining days!

I think it just mostly the time of the year you go. I have had nothing but pleasant experiences so far!

Despite heat and fatigue-induced crazies, and all the other reasons why guests' manners are not always at their best, WDW is still the only place I will voluntarily subject myself to crowds and lines. Hate 'em both and avoid them like the plague, otherwise! Big crowds actually scare me. So, I have to conclude that courteous, if not downright delightful folk are still in the vast majority of Disney vacationers.

I never considered the increasingly competitive aspect of planning before and have become guilty as charged. Good point, KellyHonos! But I like to think that we also use planning tools and forums to manage expectations. Pandora's FoP is just the latest things that 99% of guests wish to experience. Had we not been able to get FPs, we were prepared to put that attraction in our "next time" column. It took us 3 visits to get into TSM after it opened. Both are cool in their own way, but neither are worth hours of wait time, or extra pre-trip stress.

I totally feel ya, and agree with the "no phone and external lighting at fireworks" - but, it would never work to announce, or put even dozens of signs not to do so. We are all MORE than familiar with those guests who STILL use flash photography in dark rides, stick a giant iPad in your view to record something, do not move to the end of the row when it's a crowded show, cut lines, show up 5 minutes before a parade and insert themselves and 72 family members in front of you, and on, and on, an on. If they're not courteous about other rules, they won't be courteous about this. And - as I've said before - I am quite sure they probably have little to no manners in their "real life" either. And usually don't care.

Last edited:
I totally feel ya, and agree with the "no phone and external lighting at fireworks" - but, it would never work to announce, or put even dozens of signs not to do so. We are all MORE than familiar with those guests who STILL use flash photography in dark rides, stick a giant iPad in your view to record something, do not move to the end of the row when it's a crowded show, cut lines, show up 5 minutes before a parade and insert themselves and 72 family members in front of you, and on, and on, an on. If they're not courteous about other rules, they won't be courteous about this. And - as I've said before - I am quite sure they probably have little to no manners in their "real life" either. And usually don't care.

If it's not something that is going to be enforced by the cast members, then maybe this is something that we will just have to self-govern. I'm a firm believer that it's not what you say, but how you say it. If someone is using an ipad directly in front of you, obstructing your view, I would kindly say, "hey you know what, I can't enjoy the fireworks with your ipad in front of me, if you're interested in filming, can you possibly use a smaller device or allow me to stand in front of you?", I'm willing to bet that that person will either begin to apologize profusely for their lack of consideration and/or agree to either one of the requests. Normally people don't get on the defense if there's no offense in the first place. I know sometimes we see something completely rude or inappropriately and we want to attack, but let's remember that some people really do live in their own little bubbles, and there are genuinely some people who may be acting foolishly but not be intending to offend. Just speak to others how you'd like to be spoken to and I'm sure a lot of conflict can be avoided. :)

True, @KellyHonos , and I usually do try asking nicely. And yes - sometimes it works. :) I just wish I didn't have to DO that quite so often. I wish others would remember they are not the ONLY ones in the parks/watching a show/using a walkway, whatever. Not only in WDW, but in real life. Niceness and courtesy does not only always have to come from MY side, ya know? ;)

True, @KellyHonos , and I usually do try asking nicely. And yes - sometimes it works. :) I just wish I didn't have to DO that quite so often. I wish others would remember they are not the ONLY ones in the parks/watching a show/using a walkway, whatever. Not only in WDW, but in real life. Niceness and courtesy does not only always have to come from MY side, ya know? ;)

When they go low, we go high!:o

I always mind my manners at parks and don’t cut in lines, take ears or hats off at shows, don’t co e to a dead stop in the middle of the path, we wait till all our party is together before entering a queue ( nothing worse than someone pushing their way thru a queue saying they’re trying to find family/friend or being behind one person in line then suddenly 10 of their family show up).

But what stumped me last week was at the Disney Railroad station. Everyone was sitting on benches on both sides of the station comfortable in the shade, and wouldn’t let anyone else on the platform saying they were in line so the queue was down the stairs and stretched a long way down the path in the hot sun This was not a Cm saying we couldn’t wait on the platform, it was the people themselves saying no one could come on the platform because they were sitting on the benches waiting and considered themselves in the queue.

As far as I’m concerned if there’s a big crowd waiting get up, and get in the queue. If I’m at a bus stop and sitting on a bench in the back I may have been the first there but if I’m not willing to get up and Line up, I don’t expect everyone to stand behind my bench. And not allowing anyone in the station because they wanted to sit in comfort yet retain their place to me is ridiculous imo.

Last edited:
It's never occurred to me to take off my mouse ears every time I go inside or am standing in a crowd... I usually have them pinned on so they don't fly around on rides. If I'd known people were expected to remove them every time you were inside or standing for a show or watching a character or what-have-you, I honestly probably wouldn't wear them at all. Sorry for being unknowingly and unintentionally rude, OP. :rolleyes2

I actually expect ears. Inside or outside! I never wear them, but I’m just too cheap!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter