Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is that there will always be a threat of illness of some type. And there will likely be enhanced sanitation protocols put in place when the parks reopen.....as well as throughout the hospitality and restaurant industry. A crisis like this tends to create change. Disney was already moving towards the concept of "virtual queues" even before this outbreak. I'm sure they are moving even more in that direction now. Like it or hate it, I think much more of that is coming.

I also think they may likely limit the capacity of the parks...especially as they start to re-open. There will likely be CDC recommendations for perhaps years to come on things like social distancing and how many people can be in one area. etc.. Disney may have screwed themselves a bit on that one by building so many hotels and resorts and keeping the parks roughly the same size. Also be interesting to see how they handle transportation. If you've been to WDW lately you know people are packed in the monorails and buses like sardines. That's going to be a problem.

You can't stop living and enjoying life either. Every day is a gift, and we aren't guaranteed the next. Life is a threat: car accidents, other illnesses, unexpected natural disasters , cancer and so much else.

No, but since when is Disney essential to living and enjoying life? (Granted, this may be the wrong place to ask that question, LOL). Some things can't be controlled - natural disasters, certain illnesses etc... but some risks can be at the very least, reduced. Because of the risk of injury in a car, you put on a seat belt. Because of the risk of injury in sports, you wear protective gear. Because of the risk during tornadoes, you seek shelter. Because of the risk during flu season, you get a flu shot. Unfortunately, we don't have that measure available yet for Covid. So, for many people, yes, it will mean avoiding the parks.

Back to the modified experience topic...Disney Shanghai Park is still closed, but it’s planning a phased opening. The hotel downtown Disney and some restaurants have reopened. Any other info on this? I would expect WDW to follow a similar model, but would love to know what is the next reopening phase for Shanghai.

“Shanghai Disneyland remains closed as we continue to closely monitor health and safety conditions and follow the direction of government regulators. However, as the first step of a phased reopening, Shanghai Disney Resort will partially resume operations on March 9, 2020 with a limited number of shopping, dining, and recreational experiences available in Disneytown, Wishing Star Park and Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Each of these resort locations will operate under limited capacity and reduced hours of operation. The Disney Car and Coach Park and the Disneytown Parking Lot will also reopen.”

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56
A good read. If the government follows the Hammer and the Dance, how do you see that impacting Disney?

On the surface, it would seem like the ideas proposed earlier on in this thread would work for them.
However - if they're going to enforce limited gatherings... that could definitely hurt Disney, depending on the number they limit it to.

I think everyone with activated APs that were valid at the time of the closure should be extended by 1 year. People can’t always travel when they want to. I for one have a pass that was valid when I could travel and the parks closed. What if I can’t travel between my expiration plus closure time? That isn’t the deal I paid for. JMO.
That's a pretty absurd request, IMO. It's an unfortunate circumstance, for sure, but extending it by a full year? If this was the only time you were able to go in the entire year, then it's assumed that you'd buy tickets as part of a package. I understand that sometimes an AP makes more sense financially, but an AP is just that - an annual pass. It assumes that you'll be going for multiple trips per year, or have access to. They're extending the APs by the amount of time the parks are closed, which seems entirely fair.

That's a pretty absurd request, IMO. It's an unfortunate circumstance, for sure, but extending it by a full year? If this was the only time you were able to go in the entire year, then it's assumed that you'd buy tickets as part of a package. I understand that sometimes an AP makes more sense financially, but an AP is just that - an annual pass. It assumes that you'll be going for multiple trips per year, or have access to. They're extending the APs by the amount of time the parks are closed, which seems entirely fair.

Yep exactly fair and there are going to be people who planned to go in march or april and who can't go in the exteened months which is unfortunatle but they'll get the same amount of time the pass can possibly be used for which is about all that can be done.

I disagree and it can be done. They have been pretty greedy in the past 10 years or so. They are definitely going to have to do more to get their share of the shrinking tourism dollars.

I disagree and it can be done. They have been pretty greedy in the past 10 years or so. They are definitely going to have to do more to get their share of the shrinking tourism dollars.
Of course it can be done, but why would they? It's pretty evident that an Annual Pass gives you access for a year, whereas tickets allow flexibility in booking dates. If you wanted flexibility in being able to move your trip, tickets are the best option. It's not Disney's fault if you purchased an Annual Pass and can only visit once in an entire year. They're already helping those with APs out by extending it.

Much like after 9/11 and the Great Recession, they are going to have to start adding in more discounts and additional experiences to bring people back in. You will see more EMH hours added back in and special ticket offers. They won't lower the retail prices of tickets but there could be similar deals as Universal where they have buy 2 days get 1 free. There will be more focus on Florida residents as they don't require the additional travel costs.

I think everyone with activated APs that were valid at the time of the closure should be extended by 1 year. People can’t always travel when they want to. I for one have a pass that was valid when I could travel and the parks closed. What if I can’t travel between my expiration plus closure time? That isn’t the deal I paid for. JMO.
I can't see this happening. They are extending the passes by the number of days they are shut down - that is fair, because if you were able to go on those dates this year, it is a fair assumption you can go on the same dates next year. Compare to ski resorts - those passes are just gone and the pass holders are out, no exceptions - no way to extend the season. What if you got sick or injured and couldn't go under normal circumstances? No recourse there.

I can't see this happening. They are extending the passes by the number of days they are shut down - that is fair, because if you were able to go on those dates this year, it is a fair assumption you can go on the same dates next year. Compare to ski resorts - those passes are just gone and the pass holders are out, no exceptions - no way to extend the season. What if you got sick or injured and couldn't go under normal circumstances? No recourse there.
While I agree that extending a year will not happen. just extending by the number of days that it is down for doesn't help me at all. We renewed our AP's in December because we have an April and a September trip booked. We are not going to be back to WDW until fall 2021 (trip to DL & Aulani planned for next spring). We now only get one trip out of the AP even with any extensions. Now this is a minor deal for me and I won't even bother trying to get anything other than the extension they've said will happen but it can completely change the math on whether or not someone would have purchased the AP in the first place.

While I agree that extending a year will not happen. just extending by the number of days that it is down for doesn't help me at all. We renewed our AP's in December because we have an April and a September trip booked. We are not going to be back to WDW until fall 2021 (trip to DL & Aulani planned for next spring). We now only get one trip out of the AP even with any extensions. Now this is a minor deal for me and I won't even bother trying to get anything other than the extension they've said will happen but it can completely change the math on whether or not someone would have purchased the AP in the first place.

And I don't thiink anybody argues with that. there will be people who had March/April trips scheduled who won't be able to go in whatever the extension period is. Outside of just extending the only other thing I could see doing is offering something to people who had trips scheduled through disney that can be verified (sorry no way to verify 3rd party reservations).

It is definitely an unusual situaton and there is no solution that is going to account for eveything or please everyboody.

This is something that Disney has never dealt with before. I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney does a bit more once this is all said and done. A year? Maybe, maybe not. Good Will does amazing things for your balance sheet.

And I don't thiink anybody argues with that. there will be people who had March/April trips scheduled who won't be able to go in whatever the extension period is. Outside of just extending the only other thing I could see doing is offering something to people who had trips scheduled through disney that can be verified (sorry no way to verify 3rd party reservations).

It is definitely an unusual situaton and there is no solution that is going to account for eveything or please everyboody.
3rd party can be verified- hotel reservations/ cancellations and airline reservations/ cancellations. I did have a trip this week- verifiable including Cinderella tea at DLH which will likely not happen again. I would still be there today.... anything Disney does cannot discriminate.

We have APs intended to cover 2 trips, one last fall and one that fell into the closed period.

I fully intend to try to get Disney to work with me if our rescheduled trip cannot be taken before they expire 🤷🏻‍♀️. Worst they can do is turn me down.

Since it was brought up about modified experiences when they do re open. Hypothetical, when Disney does re open but all fireworks, parades and character meets no longer exist would a lot of you still go? If they take away all of those, then to me a lot of the "Disney experience" will be gone. It will be a more expensive version of the regional parks with more family rides.

Since it was brought up about modified experiences when they do re open. Hypothetical, when Disney does re open but all fireworks, parades and character meets no longer exist would a lot of you still go? If they take away all of those, then to me a lot of the "Disney experience" will be gone. It will be a more expensive version of the regional parks with more family rides.

I go primarily for the fireworks, parades and characters so there would be absolutely no grab for me at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter