Rumor Round-Up Resort Question (AK & AKL)

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
I have now listened to the most recent episode of the WDW edition where the rumor round-up was discussed; which included a discussion of a hotel outside of Epcot with an entrance right into the park??

As I have listened to more episodes of the other podcasts, there appear to be several resorts domestically and internationally which have entrances directly into the park.

I am a HUGE AKL lodge fan, and was wondering if this format was ever discussed when AK & AKL were built? It seems to not put it back in the Africa and Asia area (where the animals are located) may have been a missed opportunity. Largely because my ONE complaint about AKL is that is relatively isolated from the remainder of the property. Others appear to be of the same mind, in that the hotel is absolutely wonderful; but that is the one issue.

Are there major cons to having a hotel deposit directly into the park?

There were rumors I’ve heard that they wanted a way to connect them (supposedly by a train but I’m not sure if I buy that) but there was an issue with the land they were using (some sort of conservation status if I recall). I’m not sure how much stock I put into it, but it’s an interesting idea nonetheless, and doesn’t make sense they don’t have at least a walking path into Africa or something

also, and not sure if there is any validity to this or just armchair imagineering speculation, but some thought if the Disney Skyliner is successful they could either have a separate gondola from the AKL to AK or perhaps connect it to the larger system

gondola-network1.jpg

I have now listened to the most recent episode of the WDW edition where the rumor round-up was discussed; which included a discussion of a hotel outside of Epcot with an entrance right into the park??

As I have listened to more episodes of the other podcasts, there appear to be several resorts domestically and internationally which have entrances directly into the park.

I am a HUGE AKL lodge fan, and was wondering if this format was ever discussed when AK & AKL were built? It seems to not put it back in the Africa and Asia area (where the animals are located) may have been a missed opportunity. Largely because my ONE complaint about AKL is that is relatively isolated from the remainder of the property. Others appear to be of the same mind, in that the hotel is absolutely wonderful; but that is the one issue.

Are there major cons to having a hotel deposit directly into the park?
I don’t recall anything about them wanting to originally build the hotels connected to the parks but I’d have to do more research.

As of right now there are rumors of some sort of direct transportation connection other than buses to the park and resort.

I don’t recall anything about them wanting to originally build the hotels connected to the parks but I’d have to do more research.

As of right now there are rumors of some sort of direct transportation connection other than buses to the park and resort.

I remember Martin on the wdwmagic forums hinted about this in the past. What was interesting was that he seemed to indicate that it would not be by gondola or monorail.

also, and not sure if there is any validity to this or just armchair imagineering speculation, but some thought if the Disney Skyliner is successful they could either have a separate gondola from the AKL to AK or perhaps connect it to the larger system

gondola-network1.jpg
I like the concept of the Gondola everywhere .. it definitely seems like a big investment to connect just three non-deluxe resorts that are close already to two very close parks.

But, if it does work out and cost effective, I could see Disney extending it at least to Disney Springs. AK and AKL seem very far away.

It also feels they need a way for the International Gateway gondola to get to the monorail (without going through Epcot) .. so you could theoretically get from Pop Century to MK without ever stepping foot on a bus.

As for the OPs comment about having a hotel in/near AK, it just may be disruptive to the animals and interfere with all the backstage areas the park requires for keeping the animals overnight. It is odd, it is a deluxe resort without non-bus 'easy' transportation to a nearby theme park.

I like the concept of the Gondola everywhere .. it definitely seems like a big investment to connect just three non-deluxe resorts that are close already to two very close parks.

But, if it does work out and cost effective, I could see Disney extending it at least to Disney Springs. AK and AKL seem very far away.

It also feels they need a way for the International Gateway gondola to get to the monorail (without going through Epcot) .. so you could theoretically get from Pop Century to MK without ever stepping foot on a bus.

As for the OPs comment about having a hotel in/near AK, it just may be disruptive to the animals and interfere with all the backstage areas the park requires for keeping the animals overnight. It is odd, it is a deluxe resort without non-bus 'easy' transportation to a nearby theme park.

I think that map is a bit far fetched to have the entire thing connected (I mean, maybe, but seems like a lot and that one would have to do a lot of transferring potentially)

But I could see a small 2 "loop" that connected either just AKL and AK or perhaps to Blizzard Beach too (I mean, a Gondala does fit the theme of a Ski Resort). I definitely agree with you about AKL not having any non-Bus transport so I could see them wanting to give it *something*

I think the current transportation scheme uses the parks as the hubs and the resorts as the spokes. That works pretty well in practice.
I'm betting that these next level transportation systems, will then go park to park. As I don't think it makes sense cost wise to link every resort unless it's already on the path.
You can do it now with boats, but in the near future can connect three parks with faster transport that is non bus. You'll be able to go, MK to Epcot to DHS. I think the next step is DHS to AK, and AK to MK direct. If you can complete that loop, you've take a great leap forward. I feel like the next lodging step is deluxe/boutique resorts with on site park access.
It will likely still be faster to choose a bus in many situations. However, it will make more logistic sense to have park to park direct transport, since lodging guests would also be based there. Once you are at that quantity of people it starts to make some sense for these transport projects.
I have to think that the animal Kingdom area will link up with another park area, should another transport project come to fruition. It's closer to DHS, however I could see the allure of a direct connection from the monorail route to animal kingdom.

I think that map is a bit far fetched to have the entire thing connected (I mean, maybe, but seems like a lot and that one would have to do a lot of transferring potentially)

But I could see a small 2 "loop" that connected either just AKL and AK or perhaps to Blizzard Beach too (I mean, a Gondala does fit the theme of a Ski Resort). I definitely agree with you about AKL not having any non-Bus transport so I could see them wanting to give it *something*

I absolutely agree with the 2 loops (which is along the same vein as the monorail system). While I would very much enjoy a proposed loop such as you describe, I am wondering if the traffic would be sufficient to justify the system.

However, I would certainly make use of it if installed!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!