Glad I’m safe. Glad it isn’t serious. Sad I didn’t get my run in. My pain was an 11 out of 10 in the morning and remaind an 8 for the rest of the day (until the morphene). My Mental toughness is up by a million points after today! I just need to shoe horn in this 6 mile run at some point this week. It’s my longest run before the 10 miler and the 4 miles at race pace are going to be super helpful.
Glad you're starting to feel better. Check with the doctors about when it's safe to start exercising again. I caught a virus a couple of years ago and the doctor told me to not even exercise until after a set number of days.

Glad you're starting to feel better. Check with the doctors about when it's safe to start exercising again. I caught a virus a couple of years ago and the doctor told me to not even exercise until after a set number of days.
Oh No!!! I'll call them but I really hope that's not the case! I'm only 15 days away from rest days!!

Training Update Week 37!

Total miles ran –0 :sad:
Month to date – 10
Year to date –235.73
Miles on shoes – 54.3

Planned work outs:

Monday - 3 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Wednesday - 3 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 1 mile @ Easy + 4 mile @ 90/30 sec @ 14:45/18:00 paces + 1 mile @ Easy
Saturday - 3 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

Missed workouts – All of them! Between Hurricane prep on Monday, Lost dogs on Wednesday and Tummy issues the rest of the week, it was just not happening.

Things I learned this week –

As much as I’m not a morning person, I’ve learned that as my runs get longer (pretty much the rest of this plan) the best way for me to get it done is going to be in the early hours. I bought a physical alarm clock. Last night I plugged my phone in a completely separate room and put the alarm clock far enough away that I physically have to get out of bed to turn it off. I woke up at 6:30 this morning just to start the routine and it went pretty well. :coffee:

Other Updates that seem important

I’m feeling much better! Thanks so much to everyone for their well wishes.

Instead of moving to the next week in training, I’m going to “repeat” last week (is it technically repeating if I didn’t do it?).

Days till next race – :dumbo: 14 days until the VA 10 Miler!!!
:dumbo:

:darth:Plan for week 38:

Oh No!!! I'll call them but I really hope that's not the case! I'm only 15 days away from rest days!!
I hope it's not the case either. But if it is, just remember that you don't lose your fitness overnight. The cumulative benefits stay with you. And coach always has great input on the importance of making sure we're properly rested.

6:30am alarm goes off. I get out of bed and turn it off. Man I want to get back in bed sooo bad. “I have to work 3- midnight I say.. I better sleep in.” Then I think “just walk around a bit, then you can crawl back in bed.”

I eat a bagel with cream cheese and drink a cup of coffee. It’s pouring rain and pitch black outside. I decide to wait until the sun comes out a little to go for my run. I watch a few youtube videos and then it’s time to run. I don’t want to, but I talk myself into a quick cold shower to wake me up and I put on my running clothes. Before I know it, I’m out the door and running.

It felt so good to get back out there. My legs were fresh and springy. My effort was easy. It was raining the perfect amont. I loved it. Then my new fave song “not afraid” came on. I get so intense when I hear that song and I hang onto every word. I thought “everyone in my life is supportive of me. Literally nobody is telling I can’t do this... so why do I relate so much to this song? Why do I get so angry when I hear it?” And the I realize that Im singing to myself. I’m the only one who doesn’t think I can do this. I started thinking back over my training and it’s like I’ve been fighting an up hill battle against my self this entire plan. One things for sure though.. I’m a fighter and on the off chance that I’m right... on the off chance that I can’t run 10 miles, you better believe Im going to show up ready to fight.

Training Update Week 38!

Total miles ran –9
Month to date – 19
Year to date –244.73
Miles on shoes – 63.3

Planned work outs:

Missed workouts – Wednesday and Saturday, but I did swim laps for like an hour on Saturday so I got a workout in. Moving forward, I’m going to take this section out of my weekly training update. I’ll still tell you about missed workouts, but I think constantly having this here as an option subconsciously gives me the option to miss a run.

Things I learned this week –

Other Updates that seem important

Fridays 6 miler didn’t go well! I got over heated around mile 3, struggled through mile 4 and walked the last two miles.

I’m having major race anxiety… like worse than ever before. I’ve been fighting the mental side of this race since well.. the beginning of the year if we’re being honest, but for sure since the beginning of the training plan. And Lately, I feel like I’ve lost more of the mental battles than I’ve won. Oh well right.. What’s done is done and it’s all about taper from this point on. All I can do is focus on this week. Rest, foam roll, ice bath and drink lots of water. The weather is finally calming down and the high Saturday is 77 WOO HOO!!

Days till next race – :dumbo:7 days until the VA 10 Miler!!!
:dumbo:

:darth:Plan for week 39:

Wednesday - 2 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 1.25 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Saturday - VA 10 miler :scared1:

:dumbo:Plan for VA 10 miler! :dumbo:

So I think part of the reason I’ve been struggling with this race is because I never thought it would happen. I’ve just been waiting for something to interfere and be like “Oh well I tried.” Well, nothing has happened so I guess I’m stuck running this thing… (not the healthiest attitude going into this but I’m working on it.)

Corse map here - https://www.strava.com/segments/16098456

I feel like I have some kind of home field advantage here, because I’ve participated in the 4 miler twice. Meaning I’ve felt the worst of the hills. Honestly, looking back over some of my other races the hills aren’t the worst I’ve faced this year. There is one called the “farm basket hill” (starts at mile 1.6 finishes at mile 2) and it’s really just bad because it’s curved and you don’t necessarily see the finish. I just have to remind myself on race day that I’ve faced worse, I’ve crushed worse and it’s all mental. That’s all easier said than done, but I hope I can dig into that positivity on race day. Also, this year I get to go down that hill! So I can add that to my bag of things I say to get myself up the hill.

Half marathon pace is 15:32 which puts me at finishing this race at 2:32:27. There is a 2:30:00 cut off for this race.. so the goal is to go out kinda fast (the first 1.6 miles is downhill so I’m aiming for something starting with 14 mins (even if its 14:59 - I think it’s more about confidence at this point). Then we have the first hill if I have to walk, I’ll walk. But I’m going to try and run as much of it as I can. Hoping to keep my pace for the 2nd and 3rd mile in the high 15 min paces or low 16s. Mile 4 -6 is mainly downhill so hoping I can hit something low 15s or high 14s. Mile 7 is flat with a slight up hill - I’m going to stick as close to 15:32 pace as possible. Mile marker 7 is where I start to go down farm basket. All bets are off at this point. I plan to take advantage of the sharp downhill and really pick up the pace. At 8.5 we start an ever so slight uphill climb. I’ll adjust pace as needed but I’m really counting on 2 things at this point. 1) It’s a straight shot to the finish line and I should be able to see it the entire 10th mile #motivation! And 2) I’m really hoping that I would have picked up some time on the downhill and I’ll have a little wiggle room. The last thing I want is to have to push up that entire hill!

Fears -
#1 - Not finishing - I don’t think I’m strong enough as a runner to bounce back from a DNF. I would probably never run again.
# 2 - Being swept from the course - I don’t know how they do it. I know at some races if you have a mile where you don’t meet pace, they pull you. I don’t think this race is that extreme (looking at last year’s finish times, there seems to be a buffer in the cut of time - they had finishers at over 3 hours).
#3 - Chickening out and running through the 4 miler finish line… I didn’t know I had that option until someone at work told me that they did that once.. now I know I have the option and I’m scared I’m going to use it.

Motivators -
#1 - this race has always been a bucket list race. It’s the race that got me in to running and it’s the most magical event.
#2 - There are volunteers and cheerleaders at every step. They have awesome handmade posters and they cheer soooo loud! There are live bands and it’s seriously such a magical community event ever.
#3 - It’s an out and back. I always do better on out and backs. I really only have to make it to mile 5 (there’s no other way back to my car after that).
#4 - The weather is finally cooling down and I won’t have to adjust pace! According to weather underground - it’s going to be 59 and sunny at the start of the race and 69 at my predicted finish! Humidity is still pretty high 96% at the start but it’s going to go down to 79% around my finish time. I still don’t fully know what dew point is, but it’ll be 58 at the start and 60 at my finish. I think that’s good.
#5- It’s the 45th anniversary of the race! Translation - finishers get a blanket this year and the medal is the coolest it’s ever been!
#6 - in addition to the feast after the race (I’m talking all the race foods. Pizza, Bagels, whole bananas (not those stingy cut in half ones that some race directors try to throw at you - jokes on them, you cut my banana in half, I’m going to take 2 - they are literally 42 cents a pound there are more effective ways to trim your race budget. I digress!), gourmet coffee, oj, cookies the whole nine yards) I get to come home to wedding cake!!! Our 1 year wedding anniversary is on Sunday so my husband has agreed that we can cut into the cake a day early J.
#7 - My mom (and maybe dad) will be there!! They haven’t come to any of my races before. Mainly because I’m an adult and they don’t have to come to my sporting events anymore; however, since this one is so important to me and Josh may not be at the finish line (he’s running the 4 miler and the shuttle back to the finish can be slow) they are coming to cheer me on!! Secret goal - hoping my mom will fall in love with the event and start running with me.

Goals -

A Goal- 2:29:59
B Goal - Don’t get swept!
C Goal - Finish no matter what (even if it’s on the sidewalk)!

Update - After typing out all the things I’m excited about, I feel a lot better! I think I’ve just been focusing on the bad stuff too long. Was it a perfect training plan? Nope! But Coach Billy said I’m going to be fine. It’ll be a little harder but it’s still totally do-able. So I have no reason to doubt him or myself really!

Last edited:
Relax. Remember these key things.

-Trust the training.
-Stay positive. Don't let the little things get to you mentally.
-Stay motivated. Keep something in your mind that let's you know you CAN and WILL do this.
-Smile. If you keep smiling, it makes everything easier. See a funny sign. Laugh about it. Relax. Just one foot in front of the other with a smile on.
-This is merely the victory lap of training.

Half marathon pace is 15:32 which puts me at finishing this race at 2:32:27. There is a 2:30:00 cut off for this race.. so the goal is to go out kinda fast (the first 1.6 miles is downhill so I’m aiming for something starting with 14 mins (even if its 14:59 - I think it’s more about confidence at this point). Then we have the first hill if I have to walk, I’ll walk. But I’m going to try and run as much of it as I can. Hoping to keep my pace for the 2nd and 3rd mile in the high 15 min paces or low 16s. Mile 4 -6 is mainly downhill so hoping I can hit something low 15s or high 14s. Mile 7 is flat with a slight up hill - I’m going to stick as close to 15:32 pace as possible. Mile marker 7 is where I start to go down farm basket. All bets are off at this point. I plan to take advantage of the sharp downhill and really pick up the pace. At 8.5 we start an ever so slight uphill climb. I’ll adjust pace as needed but I’m really counting on 2 things at this point. 1) It’s a straight shot to the finish line and I should be able to see it the entire 10th mile #motivation! And 2) I’m really hoping that I would have picked up some time on the downhill and I’ll have a little wiggle room. The last thing I want is to have to push up that entire hill!

I see where you're going with the mindset, but may I suggest an alternative. Don't go out fast. Go out slow and conservative. Save that energy for later in the race. "Time banking" even if it's a downhill typically sets the physiological wheels in motion that can be hard to undue. So in almost all scenarios it's better to start conservative and slow. Save the speed for the end if you've still got something left. When it comes to the hills, try and run at the same effort. It'll be slower than straight-aways, but you may find maintaining the effort allows you to be slightly faster than walking with little extra energy used.

Fears -
#1 - Not finishing - I don’t think I’m strong enough as a runner to bounce back from a DNF. I would probably never run again.
# 2 - Being swept from the course - I don’t know how they do it. I know at some races if you have a mile where you don’t meet pace, they pull you. I don’t think this race is that extreme (looking at last year’s finish times, there seems to be a buffer in the cut of time - they had finishers at over 3 hours).
#3 - Chickening out and running through the 4 miler finish line… I didn’t know I had that option until someone at work told me that they did that once.. now I know I have the option and I’m scared I’m going to use it.

No pressure. It's just another step in the direction towards your goals. Just as no one training run defines a training cycle, no one race defines a runner. Along this long journey of being a runner, you'll certainly have ups and downs. So I'd say no matter what happens this weekend, you've made great progress and continue to put yourself in a position to get better. Relax, trust yourself, and have fun!

I see where you're going with the mindset, but may I suggest an alternative. Don't go out fast. Go out slow and conservative. Save that energy for later in the race. "Time banking" even if it's a downhill typically sets the physiological wheels in motion that can be hard to undue. So in almost all scenarios it's better to start conservative and slow. Save the speed for the end if you've still got something left.
This is outstanding and excellent advice. Excitement, adrenaline, nerves, and fear got the best of me before my very first race and nearly ended my running journey less than one mile in to that first race.

You can do this! Trust in yourself and your training. Go in with a plan and stick with it. I agree with @DopeyBadger about starting out slow and conservative. I've been known to start out to fast and I always pay the price later. I remember hearing race advice once that went something like this. "When you start a race, if you don't think you are going too slow, you are going too fast." Good luck and I can't wait for the race report.

"When you start a race, if you don't think you are going too slow, you are going too fast."
I love this. I tend to enjoy races so much more when I let my body adapt and adjust to that given day. I also think it tends to respond a lot better when I want to push it later in the race for whatever reasons.

@DopeyBadger @ZellyB and @Sleepless Knight -- Thank you guys!!! Your support, advice and encouragement means so much. I will take your advice and try not to go no faster than 15:36 for the first mile. Thanks for not giving up on me even though I have been pretty winy about the whole ordeal lately! Also I love that quote Zelly! "When you start a race, if you don't think you are going too slow, you are going too fast" For sure to keep that in the back of my mind.

You guys!! Last night at work I was walking to my desk. I rolled my ankle and instead of just letting myself fall I tried to catch my self and I face planted into a metal file cabinet... ankle’s fine but my knees took the brunt of the fall. When I got home my left knee was swollen. I iced it while I slept and have spent the day with my with my legs elevated against the wall. Icing on and off. My right knee has all the bruises and a little rug burn. If everything isn’t normal tomorrow I’m going to go to the dr, but honestly it hasn’t been bad. The swelling last night just really freaked me out. To be honest the whole ordeal was traumatic - idk if you’ve ever fell face first into an empty filling cabinet but the noise it makes in an extremely quiet call center is very loud.. I stood up and all the entire call center was standing up and starring at me! Then they made me to an accident report!! If it wasn’t embarrassing enough, the rest of the night people came to my desk and asked “were you that loud noise earlier?” And “omg! Are you okay?!?” And my personal favorite “how long have you been walking??” Lord help me!!!! lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter