Wow. Nice job taking on a massive challenge! And LOL at your disappointment at not getting in a good run - I'm sure you got plenty of cardio effort in :).

I am going to go ahead and declare your A goal met! In the 5km races I've seen the winning time is under 18 min (compared to 30 in this one). So if I apply that 30/18 ratio to your A goal of 45, I get a goal time of 75 minutes: SUCCESS! :) So definitely be proud - and thumbs up to your husband for supporting you through the race!

Omg!! I love it sooo much!!! Thank you for sharing that - it really made my day!! And you definitely can argue with scientifically calculated ratios! So that’s good enough for me

Training Update Week 7! :wizard:

Total miles ran – 9.6
Month to date – 21.53
Year to date – 46.15 - :scared1::earseek:
Fastest pace this week – 14:36

Planned work outs:

Sunday – 5min warm up – 30 min run – 5 min cool down.
Tues, Wed or Thurs – 5 min warm up – 35 min run – 5 min cool down.
Saturday – Humble Creek 5k

Missed workouts
– None. I even added a half mile after humble creek since I hardly ran any of it. :laughing:

Things I learned this week –

“Beautiful rolling cross country course” could translate into hiking for 3.5 miles.:crazy2:

Just because a race description is vague doesn’t mean the race will be relatively “Normal” - Always email the race director with course questions.

I don’t like hiking.

I’m capable of way more than I thought I was.

When you are going down a steep decline and it’s muddy and slippery, you should walk sideways.

Coming in close to last place is nice because there is an extra big crowd cheering you on :-).

This last one isn’t something I’ve necessarily learned - it’s more of an overwhelming feeling that I had. During the humble creek 5k, all of my doubts about not being able to finish a half marathon or the VA 10 miler (which I think will actually be harder than the half because of the hills) went away! I’m sure this feeling is temporary or at a minimum will start to fade once 10k training starts; however, for now - it’s nice.:tiptoe:

Days till next race – 27 days till the “Mission Possible Color Run.” :butterfly

Plan for week 8! :smickey:

Tuesday (optional) - 5m Warm up - 20m R + 3m W + 20m R - 5m Cool down
Thursday - 5m Warm up - 20m R + 3m W + 20m R - 5m Cool down
Saturday - 5m Warm up - 20m R + 2m W + 20m R - 5m Cool down

Question: How long do you rest after a race (specifically 5ks and 10ks but really I welcome advice for all distances)? I had scheduled 2 days after Humble Creek and if it had been a normal race I think that would have definitely been enough but I’m not sure. I went ahead and made Tues optional for myself since the race was way more than I had planned for. I think if I feel a little better than I do today, I’ll probably get out there for at least 30 mins.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Sounds like quite the 5k course!

Also reminds me of the time I signed up for a race and only learned after that it was 6.7 instead of 6.2!

I usually don’t take too much time after 5k or 10ks, and actually find that a slow run the day after a race is the best way to kick any soreness I have.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like quite the 5k course!

Also reminds me of the time I signed up for a race and only learned after that it was 6.7 instead of 6.2!

I usually don’t take too much time after 5k or 10ks, and actually find that a slow run the day after a race is the best way to kick any soreness I have.

Thank you so much! It was definitely quite the course but I wouldn't undo it if I could! And I could totally see a slow run the next day being helpful. I was kind of stiff just after the car ride home and that little half mile I ran, was extremely helpful and I was actually able to be slightly productive the rest of the day.

Question: How long do you rest after a race (specifically 5ks and 10ks but really I welcome advice for all distances)? I had scheduled 2 days after Humble Creek and if it had been a normal race I think that would have definitely been enough but I’m not sure. I went ahead and made Tues optional for myself since the race was way more than I had planned for. I think if I feel a little better than I do today, I’ll probably get out there for at least 30 mins.

A day off or easy for every 3k of racing. So a 5k would be two days off or easy.

I need to make a correction to my race recap. My finish time was actually around 1 hour 22mins. It wasn’t chip timed so I was estimating based of my start time and finish time but apparently one of the clocks was off. I did use Strava, but it automatically smoothed out my time (it originally said 59 mins - I knew that wasn’t right). Once I switched it to “race” in my training calendar the app gave me my actual time. So sorry about that!!

Edit- I also got a little medal from Strava that said 3rd best 5k time “1h 11m” so I did do the 5k in around an hour and 10 mins but the whole 3.5 miles took 1h 22mins.. so there ya have it. My big mess up cleared up.

Last edited:
I signed up for another run! This one is a Virtual 5k for the Hogwarts running club. Don't worry - I'm still a Disney purest; however, I've recently read all of the HP books and watched all of the movies so there is a little piece of my heart reserved for Harry Potter. Plus I really like the charity they are working with (Debate Mate). The run is the DA 5k and I'll probably do it Saturday instead of that day's planned run.

I have another 5k in March but here's the thing. My BEST friend in the whole wide world is the race director and it's a color run. I really just want to have fun and not have a time goal or anything like that (you know stop and get blasted with all the paint at all the stops). Since Humble Creek didn't go as planned, I'm going to try and get under 45 mins with this virtual 5k. If I meet that goal, I'll have a no pressure fun time at my BFFs color run. If it doesn't work out then I'll bite the bullet and shoot for 45 mins in at the color run. Idk why but I feel like I need to get under 45 mins before the 10k.. No really reason just the time limit I gave myself.

Following along congrats on the 5K!! The mention of mud and hills and I would have been back in the car. I also signed up to do the DA 5K. Love the Medal. I can't do the suggest day due to travel so I would love to run it with you in spirit on Saturday. I'll be running for Gryffindor, how about you?

Following along congrats on the 5K!! The mention of mud and hills and I would have been back in the car. I also signed up to do the DA 5K. Love the Medal. I can't do the suggest day due to travel so I would love to run it with you in spirit on Saturday. I'll be running for Gryffindor, how about you?
Hufflepuff here! we shall run in spirit together on Saturday!!

I try not to look at the Hogwarts running club stuff because those medals are just too tempting!
I know! I’ve followed them on Instagram for a while and I downloaded the charity miles app and joined their team not too long ago. This is my first “event” through them, but I can tell it won’t be my last!!

Training Update Week 9!

Total miles ran – 6.8
Month to date (Feb) – 24.73
Month to date (March) - 3.3
Year to date – 52.95 -
Fastest pace this week – 15:55

Planned work outs:

Tuesday (optional) - 5m Warm up - 20m R + 3m W + 20m R - 5m Cool down
Thursday - 5m Warm up - 20m R + 3m W + 20m R - 5m Cool down
Saturday - 5m Warm up - 20m R + 2m W + 20m R - 5m Cool down

Missed workouts :crazy2:
– I missed Saturdays run (which was also supposed to be my DA Virtual 5k), due to some medical issues. Saturday morning I had an ovarian cyst burst. They hurt pretty bad when they burst - it only lasts for an hour or so but then you are just wiped out for the rest of the day, so I wasn’t in any hurry to run. Around 6pm I got changed into my running gear but decided to eat first. Then I let my food settle and by the time I was finally ready to run I had a migraine. I give myself a hard time anytime I miss a work out and especially this time since it was supposed to be a 5k. I’m not mad at myself for not running at 9am when I was in the fetal position for about 2 hours, and I’m not mad at myself for not running when I had a migraine at 8pm. But there was a 9 or 10 hour gap there where I was perfectly fine. Exhausted, sure but other than that perfectly capable. I mean, if I had any other plans Saturday, I wouldn’t have canceled them. I wouldn’t have called into work, I wouldn’t have skipped out on hanging out with my friends, so I don’t understand why I didn’t run! I guess I had no way of knowing that I would have a migraine after diner so I thought it was okay to just keep pushing my run back further and further.

Things I learned this week –

Running through soreness is liberating! I didn’t skip Tuesdays optional run even though the way my legs were burning through the first 20 mins I probably could have. The first half was terrible and 2nd half was amazing!! :yay:

It’s a good idea to schedule a time for my run and stick to it. If I had of done that yesterday, maybe I wouldn’t have missed my virtual 5k.

My favorite workouts are the one where the app calls for a 2 runs in row that are exactly the same. I love being able to see that progress.

Flexibility continues to be one my biggest lessons learned. I have every work out from now till November written out in a physical calendar (and trust me it’s killing me that I don’t have a detailed plan for November through December). When I look back on Jan, Feb and now March, there isn’t a single day that doesn’t have white out on the page somewhere. I’m finding the balance between my plan and real life. I’m learning that flexibility doesn’t mean unorganized and doesn’t mean I can’t plan my life out. It just means I have to be okay with changing the plan from time to time. :dogdance:

Days till next race – 0 days until the Virtual “DA 5k” and 20 days till the “Mission Possible Color Run.” :butterfly

Plan for week 10! (The week of intervals, apparently!) :smickey:

Sunday - DA 5K! :stir:
Tuesday - (optional if and only if I PR today) 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Thursday - 5WU - 10r + 1w +10r +2w +10r + 3w + 10r + 4w +10r - 5CD
Saturday - 5WU - 12r + 1w + 12r + 2w + 12r + 3w +12r + 4w + 12r - 5 CD

Dumbledore's Army Virtual 5k Race Recap!!! Spoiler alert... I crushed my goal!

So today I did the same route as I did for the "braver than you believe" virtual 5k. Mainly because of it's convenient proximity to my house, but also because I wanted to see an apples to apple's improvement. Here's the break down.

Kilo -- Pace -- Time
1k -- 8:20 -- 8:21
2k -- 8:32 -- 16:53
3k -- 8:54 -- 25:47
4k -- 9:04 -- 34:51
5k -- 8:51 -- 43:43

Total time 43:50 (I did 5.02k LOL)

I don't think I've ever pushed my self so hard! I literally almost puked but I managed to hold it down! I was in pain pretty much the whole time but that last Kilometer was all worth it. I was so nervous that without other racers, or a crowd or the general adrenaline of race day that I wouldn't meet my goal, but I did! Tonight I unlocked a determination inside myself that I didn't know existed. I honestly didn't even think I cared that much!!! I love this sport sooo much!! I can't even put it into words right now, so I'm not going to try. Just know that I am very very very tired and very very very very HAPPY!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter