runDisney 2024-2025 dates on holidays?

RunDisney Matriarch

You're never too old to RunDisney.
What does runDisney typically do when its traditional event weekends fall so close to or on holidays? For example, Halloween 2024 is on a Thursday and New Year's Day 2025 is on a Wednesday. If Wine & Dine was the first weekend of November and Marathon Weekend was the first weekend in January (like they have been in recent years), then the kick-off runDisney Expos would fall on those holidays with the 5ks starting the day after. Running a 5k the day after Halloween would be a hoot (the DD claims we would just stay up all night), but I do worry about hotel reservations for those dates. We haven't done runDisney long enough for the calendar to loop like this so I'm hoping you veterans can help us out on planning since the DVC 11-month window opens up in a bit.

What does runDisney typically do when its traditional event weekends fall so close to or on holidays? For example, Halloween 2024 is on a Thursday and New Year's Day 2025 is on a Wednesday. If Wine & Dine was the first weekend of November and Marathon Weekend was the first weekend in January (like they have been in recent years), then the kick-off runDisney Expos would fall on those holidays with the 5ks starting the day after. Running a 5k the day after Halloween would be a hoot (the DD claims we would just stay up all night), but I do worry about hotel reservations for those dates. We haven't done runDisney long enough for the calendar to loop like this so I'm hoping you veterans can help us out on planning since the DVC 11-month window opens up in a bit.
Wine & Dine has had the expo start on Halloween as recently as 2019. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do that again.

There were a lot of people that went to the Halloween Party, then straight to the 5K that year.

Wine & Dine has had the expo start on Halloween as recently as 2019. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do that again.

There were a lot of people that went to the Halloween Party, then straight to the 5K that year.
Oh, my goodness. That sounds amazing! Thank you!

I think W&D has been that close to Halloween before - not completely sure on this.

Marathon Weekend is the weekend before MLK Jr. Day weekend, so MW is sometimes the second weekend of January.
That's good to know! I thought it was first weekend in January but pre-MLK makes that much easier to calculate. Thank you!

Paging @Herding_Cats to the thread...
Reporting for duty!
I have until April to decide if I want to run the 2025 marathon on my birthday. 😬
The answer is yes. Hello, almost birthday twin! MW has turned into my birthday trip for going-on the 3rd year now. I ran my first Disney marathon (2nd overall marathon) on my birthday back in 2022. (Also made a great friend when I spotted @The Expert in the start corral and our pacing ended up matching really well.) What’s better than birthday treats and a marathon medal AND a marathon ear hat?

On a realistic note, it’s doable on only a little more than the mileage you mentioned. My longest long run is about 3 hours (~13mi) in training, and my peak week of training is about 7 hours (~30mi.) My plans have running 5 days per week. In the past that has landed the week before Christmas, but given the assumed dates for 2025 it might be the week OF Christmas, depending on your plan. Could you fiddle with a taper to make it fit your life better if needed? Probably. DopeyBadger wrote a plan for me, and I was physically prepared to complete the distance. Make sure the people in your household are on-board (since I know you have a younger kiddo) because once Thanksgiving hits you’re kind of in the thick of training, and that can create a lot of extra duties for your partner. I treadmilled a LOT because I was the SAHP and treadmilling could happen during nap time (instead of whatever chore I would usually do.) But I also think that most people should do a marathon once in their life.

Bottom line: DO IT
😂😂

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter