RunDisney Newbie

1lilspark

DIS Veteran
Hello...
I managed to get a coveted registration into the Inaugural Wine and Dine 10K... this will be my first RunDisney race and first {at least as of this post} timed 10k and I'm both excited and anxious about it.

Any seasoned runDisney runners care to share any tricks/tips/advice for navigating the World

Training is important. A 10K isn't too long and it seems like you have done them un-timed before but this course will be swept at different points so you'll want to train for a 14 or 15 minute mile just to be sure. If you want to stop for character photos shoot for a 10-13 min mile or faster.

runDisney uses Poweraid and Dasani. If you don't like that bring your own liquids. I get sick off of Poweraid so bring my own gateraid in my fuel belt.

Know what fuel you'll need and bring it with you. Do not trust that the running stores at the expo will sell what you use.

Be prepared for all sorts of weather. The last 2 Wine and Dines have been complete wash outs. Last years half was cut to a 10K and the year prior we were allowed to run the full distance but it was a miserable race due to the non-stop rain.

If you want the specialty items sold at the expo then plan to be there on day 1. If the extras don't matter then go the day before your race as it will be much less crowded.

DO NOT OVER DO IT! It is so tempting to go play in the parks but if you aren't use to putting in a ton of miles in a day it can destroy even the best trained for race. You can walk several miles at the parks with out even realizing it so you'll be tired and sore before you even get to the 10K. IF you must go to the parks the day prior then take it easy. Make it a short day with lots of rest breaks. I typically like Typhoon Lagoon on the day before because I just soak in the lazy river for hours.

Most important. HAVE FUN!

Following......

This is my first disney race too. I'm doing the Lumiere Challenge. This will be my first back to back race and my first timed 10k. I've done several half marathons. I'm planning on taking the 10k easy and get my character pictures there. My goal for the half is to finish and maybe get a picture or 2. I can't wait and I'm so excited. I'm looking to this as a fun race and not a PR race.

I second @wilkeliza re: the weather, training and not over doing it.

I ran Disneyland half last September and made the mistake of doing the parks the day before. My feet were miserable for the race and my body was NOT happy. I ran Star Wars Dark Side two weeks ago and we just spent the day before in Disney Springs and relaxed. I didn't train as much as I did for Disneyland and I actually ran a faster time – even with the almost 30 minute wait to take pics with R2D2.

The most important thing is just have fun. :tink:
This isn't a race that you'll run a PR (whether it's because the route narrows and you actually do have to run/walk with the pack or because you stop for pictures) – but make sure you enjoy every moment and have so so much fun! runDisney races are my favorite and I enjoy every single one. And DEFINITELY stop for pictures – they're totally worth it :)

My sister {who pulls rank on the trip since she's paying for the hotel/driving us there} has it in her pretty little head that I'm stressing too much and have no need to cut my 14/15 min miles down to 13 min miles stating that a friend of a friend of hers walked the Princess Half and was in no danger of being swept so I shouldn't stress. She also says that we're fine going LATE in the day to the expo on Friday and still get things {I was personally aiming for early Friday knowing that even then we'll get our shirts, bibs, the tervis/hat I pre ordered and have a 40% shot of getting a magnet} and when I told her that my plan was to go to bed at 8 unless Amazing Race is going to air Fridays at 8 again then bedtime will be at 9 she commented that if the poolside movie was a good one she was going to go stay out and watch it....I told her from the MBs the busses start leaving around 3/330 and I wanted to be out by 230 she said that's too early we can get there at 330 and not be rushed/placed in the back of the last coral

she doesn't get that Dark Side was such a clusterfuck and with the 10K being an inaugural as well it's going to be nuts

For travel races, Disney or otherwise, pack all of your racing gear in your carry on. If your baggage is delayed, lost, or damaged you don't want your running gear to be affected. I would also suggest that you unpack your running gear and lay it out right in your room so you notice before the expo if you forgot anything and can get a replacement at the expo if you have to. This isn't really a good idea with shoes but for socks or a tech shirt or socks or something it is valuable.

If you need to go to bed early or want to go to the expo early, then do so. It is your race too. :)

Make sure you read the information on the website and the race guide when it comes out. It usually provides a lot of valuable information.

Disney races are crowded. Be prepared to speed up to stay on pace. Remember that all stops ( bathroom, picture, medical) are included in that 16mm pace.

Training is the time to try out fuel, clothing, pre-race snacks, etc.

Bring lots of money :)

After the race, take your medal with you into the park. It is a great opportunity to get pictures with characters.

Have fun!

Bring lots of money :)
I work in a job where we are not supposed to get tips however allot of the little old ladies like to tip anyway especially in the summer saying to use the $ to buy a drink from the vending machiene and so I actually have a jar on my bookshelf and all that tip $ is being saved for Wine and Dine

I work in a job where we are not supposed to get tips however allot of the little old ladies like to tip anyway especially in the summer saying to use the $ to buy a drink from the vending machiene and so I actually have a jar on my bookshelf and all that tip $ is being saved for Wine and Dine

Wonderful! It really adds up quickly.

I wouldn't worry about the inaugural 10K being nuts just quite yet ... they haven't posted the course, but the RD site says the 10K is only at EPCOT, so I assume they'll just use tried-and-true Marathon Weekend/Princess Weekend 10K course.

On buses, personally if they start at 3:30 I wouldn't get out there any earlier than 3:30 maybe head out at 3:15 at the earlies, but I don't want to just be standing waiting. Corrals aren't even open right away so even if you are on the first bus you'll still have to wait before walking to the corral so if you are later you can still get to the front of your corral as long as you are there when they open the corrals.

For training I would get to as fast you can, sure you can get by on 14-15 min/mile, but if something comes up and slows you down (unforeseen crowding, pain, stomach issues, etc.) it's nice to have the buffer of banking time if you can. So, taking the time to train now is important and if you can get faster go for it and if you can't at least you tried. With 6 months to go you can get some great training in to cut that time some maybe.

As for the expo if there is merch you must have then you probably should go as early as you can on opening day. Seems like you never can tell if stuff will run out. Darkside ran out of a lot of stuff it seems, where Princess was a nut house at first but was being restocked. So, if it's must haves then go early.

Funny on watching the Amazing Race, I watch it too but DVR it for when I get home, I prefer watching movies that will make me sleepy and TAR never puts me to sleep it's too exciting.

Last edited:
I would say be careful at the parks the day before. If you're spending a lot of time there you are most likely walking a lot and you might find yourself tired before the run. I'm not saying you shouldn't do the parks because you're in Disney obviously but be careful not to overdo it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter