Running at Disney Resorts?

DawnNichole

Earning My Ears
Hi all -

New to the board, but I have been following you all for info since pre-Dopey 2020 :)

I am heading to Disney World mid Sept and again for what was Wine and Dine weekend in Nov. Planning to get some long runs in and staying on property.

Does anyone have updates on what is runnable near Pop Century and along the Boardwalk? Was hoping to run the Boardwalk (with mask?) for the Virtual WD Half, but might have to go out extra early....

Any other suggestions in the area are welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Around Crescent Lake/Boardwalk is a great spot to run and is also popular. You can run around the lake and up the path towards Hollywood Studios.

As for Pop until November 1st the entire loop isn’t open because Art of Animation is closed until November 1st. So you have to turn around and do smaller loops there.

Around Crescent Lake/Boardwalk is a great spot to run and is also popular. You can run around the lake and up the path towards Hollywood Studios.

As for Pop until November 1st the entire loop isn’t open because Art of Animation is closed until November 1st. So you have to turn around and do smaller loops there.

Thank you for the quick response - I've been running along the Boardwalk in the past, happy to hear it is open. Sounds like we can get creative at Pop, too.

I love running the Boardwalk loop including the path down to DHS and also up and over the E. Buena Vista overpass to the back of the Swan. You can really get in a long run if you do multiple loops. The only other "long" run on property I know of is using the POR trails that connect to Disney Springs but the only time I ran at POR it was short and just at the resort.

If you have a car, or even just Uber, I would recommend heading into Celebration to do a run as well. I had to do a track workout when I was down at WDW for a convention once so I drove over to the high school there but would do a road run around there if the opportunity presented it self.

I love running the Boardwalk loop including the path down to DHS and also up and over the E. Buena Vista overpass to the back of the Swan. You can really get in a long run if you do multiple loops. The only other "long" run on property I know of is using the POR trails that connect to Disney Springs but the only time I ran at POR it was short and just at the resort.

If you have a car, or even just Uber, I would recommend heading into Celebration to do a run as well. I had to do a track workout when I was down at WDW for a convention once so I drove over to the high school there but would do a road run around there if the opportunity presented it self.

You can also do a long run at wilderness lodge. I think it's around 3 miles there.

At Pop Century, they block off the running path around the lake to Art of Animation, but if you go into the parking lot, you can run around the parking lot of AoA and make a full circle.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

I am wondering about others running WnD weekend....will likely try to head out to the Boardwalk super early (I am staying at Beach Club). Love running Disney property, hopefully a few other options open up between now and Nov. For Pop, I will run the loop around the parking lot (I saw a recent post where someone mapped out their course with the new cutoff).

Here are a few Epcot resorts routes I did a few years ago (just hit the Play button at the bottom of the maps to see the animated route):

4.9 mile route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1099252184
6 mile route (same as 4.9 mile route but adds a loop around DHS parking lot): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1090526683
7 mile route (same as 6 mile route but adds out/back on sidewalk along Buena Vista Drive and an additional loop around DHS bus station): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1093614512

I ran these routes early in the morning because we were going to parks, but you could really run these routes at anytime.

There is a sidewalk all along Epcot Resorts Blvd except for a small portion just before and after the viaduct (between Beach Club Villas and Boardwalk). It's only about 50 feet or so between the back side of Beach Club Villas and the start of the viaduct sidewalk, but it's a little longer, maybe 150 feet, on the other side of the viaduct before getting to a sidewalk by the Boardwalk (although there is some space in the grass on this stretch if needed). When I say viaduct, the road becomes a tunnel that goes under the boat viaduct. In any case, there is a sidewalk when you go under the viaduct, just not right before and after.

For the longer routes with the loop around DHS parking lot, I stayed just inside the parking lot barriers/poles, so that I was separated from the cars entering DHS. It wasn't bad at all.

There’s pretty good route with end points at all star music and Coronado springs. Most of it on the sidewalk along buena vista. You can loop around inside Coronado resort and the all star parking lots at each end. I can’t remember how long exactly but I think you can get a good 5 miles.

I don't know if it's Google maps latest updated color scheme or what, but it's really easy to see the resort pathways now on Maps--they are green. Might help you get a sense of some possible paths. I've only really run at Boardwalk, Pop and OKW--you can get to SSR and to Disney Springs, but Security apparently doesn't let people run through DS.

Are you a Garmin user or have a paid Strava account? I don't have a paid Strava account but you can use their route builder which should include heat maps to show the popular running routes. If you are a Garmin user you can do the same thing using their course creator. You'll need a compatible device to actually load the course on the watch to follow but even without that you can see the popular running routes around property with their "Popularity Routing" feature.

There’s pretty good route with end points at all star music and Coronado springs. Most of it on the sidewalk along buena vista. You can loop around inside Coronado resort and the all star parking lots at each end. I can’t remember how long exactly but I think you can get a good 5 miles.
Currently you can’t access either resort as both are closed. Coronado especially is locked off for the NBA.

Bumping this thread to ask about masks while running at Disney - there is simply NO way I could run in a mask, especially in FL. We will be down there next week (at WL) and have hopes to get in some runs at the resort (early in the morning). Has anyone been there since Covid and have any experience?

@BigEeyore that is an interesting question. i bet they will require a mask unless you are out really early. I will be at Ft Wilderness in Oct and I know they said if you are not at your campsite you are supposed to wear a mask. I don't want to say anything about rules but i normally have my mask with me when running, i wear it when i get close to people.

I am thinking maybe just wear a buff around my neck and pull it up if I see someone? I am planning on early runs (probably like 6am) so hopefully I won't run into too many people.

I am thinking maybe just wear a buff around my neck and pull it up if I see someone? I am planning on early runs (probably like 6am) so hopefully I won't run into too many people.
Masks are required everywhere and buffs/gaiters are not allowed. This has been discussed on Facebook and your best bet is to bring a mask on your run and wear it under your chin. If you see a guest or CM pull it up over your face until you have passed them. Many folks have been successful using that approach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts