Running at Disney Resorts?

Masks are required everywhere and buffs/gaiters are not allowed. This has been discussed on Facebook and your best bet is to bring a mask on your run and wear it under your chin. If you see a guest or CM pull it up over your face until you have passed them. Many folks have been successful using that approach.
Mileage is varying on this issue. I’ve seen plenty with buffs/gaiters run with them at WDW. They are less strict on those at resorts it seems than at the parks. I’ve seen people run without them at all. I’ve seen people run with them the whole time too.

My suggestion would be bring a mask, if you are in the vicinity of someone put it on.

Masks are required everywhere and buffs/gaiters are not allowed. This has been discussed on Facebook and your best bet is to bring a mask on your run and wear it under your chin. If you see a guest or CM pull it up over your face until you have passed them. Many folks have been successful using that approach.

That is exactly my plan for next month at the fort. I too will run early but figure that is the easiest and least likely to get in trouble.

Bumping this thread to ask about masks while running at Disney - there is simply NO way I could run in a mask, especially in FL. We will be down there next week (at WL) and have hopes to get in some runs at the resort (early in the morning). Has anyone been there since Covid and have any experience?

Did several runs around BLT/CR and Poly in July and YC a couple of weeks ago. All early AMs (eg, 6-8ish)

Obviously take CM info with a grain of salt as I’d probably get a different answer on a different day, but in July I asked a recreation manager at BLT and she said the ‘rule’ is masks should be worn to/from the running activity, but that they are not required while running.

Also anecdotal, but I ran by two “Incredi Crew” mask/social distancing CMs making rounds several mornings over my Poly stay and each time they waved and said good morning. They would walk from the TTC to GF and back so I passed them several times multiple mornings. I figured if I was doing something blatantly against the rules they would have said something. This was July and very few others around, perhaps they would have said something if more people were around, I’m not sure.

I would say the majority of other runners I encountered during both trips did not wear masks. Some did have masks, some gaiters around necks, but generally speaking that was the minority. I ran a few mornings with a mask over the BLT stay just because my timing seemed to overlap with morning shift change/arrival and the path there shares a part with a main CM walkway - seemed like the right thing to do in that particular context.

FWIW, not sure if this is still accurate but the last report I saw on the WL thread is that the path from WL to FW is still closed, which may limit running options around there. I’d be curious to hear your experience when you get back about if that trail is still closed and what kind of running routes you used. I need to find a way to log some miles from WL during an upcoming trip.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Bumping this thread to ask about masks while running at Disney - there is simply NO way I could run in a mask, especially in FL. We will be down there next week (at WL) and have hopes to get in some runs at the resort (early in the morning). Has anyone been there since Covid and have any experience?

We will be at WL next week as well!

Based on our trip earlier this summer, I agree that you should plan on at least having your mask with you. At 6 am it probably won't be much of an issue once you're out running, but they were (and I am thankful for it) pretty vigilant in enforcing the mask policy in July.

... I will be at Ft Wilderness in Oct and I know they said if you are not at your campsite you are supposed to wear a mask. I don't want to say anything about rules but i normally have my mask with me when running, i wear it when i get close to people.
Any chance that’s the first week of October when we’ll be there?

@GADisneyDad14 thank you that is great info!

I had seen that about the path being closed, which is a huge bummer as that is a great way to get in some miles running around FW. In the past I think I was able to run around the resort, by the cabins, but its going to be a lot of loops.

Yes we check in on Oct 4 staying till Oct 17. Working from home some of those days but plan to be off for at least 6 days. When are you coming and where are you staying?
Sept. 29-Oct. 8, trying out the Riveria. We’ll have to plan a meetup sometime Oct. 4-7! Assuming you will have Mallory with you. If we can get into FW, maybe I can finally meet her sometime.

When we were staying at the BCV, and DH was training for the Dopey, he went to the Lobby Concierge, who gave him info on a great running loop (not Boardwalk area, though). Is there a lobby concierge where you're staying? They gave him a map, marking the route-he loved it!

Did several runs around BLT/CR and Poly in July and YC a couple of weeks ago. All early AMs (eg, 6-8ish)

Obviously take CM info with a grain of salt as I’d probably get a different answer on a different day, but in July I asked a recreation manager at BLT and she said the ‘rule’ is masks should be worn to/from the running activity, but that they are not required while running.

Also anecdotal, but I ran by two “Incredi Crew” mask/social distancing CMs making rounds several mornings over my Poly stay and each time they waved and said good morning. They would walk from the TTC to GF and back so I passed them several times multiple mornings. I figured if I was doing something blatantly against the rules they would have said something. This was July and very few others around, perhaps they would have said something if more people were around, I’m not sure.

I would say the majority of other runners I encountered during both trips did not wear masks. Some did have masks, some gaiters around necks, but generally speaking that was the minority. I ran a few mornings with a mask over the BLT stay just because my timing seemed to overlap with morning shift change/arrival and the path there shares a part with a main CM walkway - seemed like the right thing to do in that particular context.

FWIW, not sure if this is still accurate but the last report I saw on the WL thread is that the path from WL to FW is still closed, which may limit running options around there. I’d be curious to hear your experience when you get back about if that trail is still closed and what kind of running routes you used. I need to find a way to log some miles from WL during an upcoming trip.

Enjoy your trip!

And I had the exact opposite info at Ft. Wilderness. We were told by a few CM's that you had to wear masks while running/walking on property. As always, YMMV!

May try to run my W&D 5K while at the pop in November we will see

I am running my Food and Wine 10k in November while staying at BLT (waitlisted for GFV), but my daughter and her friend are running the half! Just got done making mile marker signs for it. So excited to run it at Disney!

Have fun!

Mileage is varying on this issue. I’ve seen plenty with buffs/gaiters run with them at WDW. They are less strict on those at resorts it seems than at the parks. I’ve seen people run without them at all. I’ve seen people run with them the whole time too.

My suggestion would be bring a mask, if you are in the vicinity of someone put it on.
Hi! I don't know if I am writing this on the right spot so forgive me if I am not! Question! Do you happen to know how many people can run together at the resorts if everyone is staying there? We have roughly 20 ish and wanted to earn our virtual medals together. Also can we run super early in the morning like 4 or 5ish or will security be on us for this? Thanks so much!!

Hi! I don't know if I am writing this on the right spot so forgive me if I am not! Question! Do you happen to know how many people can run together at the resorts if everyone is staying there? We have roughly 20 ish and wanted to earn our virtual medals together. Also can we run super early in the morning like 4 or 5ish or will security be on us for this? Thanks so much!!
I don’t think this has been attempted. My guess is they’ll likely want people as distanced as possible.

If requirements like masks and stuff are still in place then I don't think this would go over well with security. And of course make sure that whatever you do you don't want to block sidewalks/roads from other guests.

If you were to try it, I'd stay single file and 6 feet apart. Yes that would take away some of the fun of running together but I think that's about the only way security wouldn't say something.

Here are a few Epcot resorts routes I did a few years ago (just hit the Play button at the bottom of the maps to see the animated route):

4.9 mile route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1099252184
6 mile route (same as 4.9 mile route but adds a loop around DHS parking lot): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1090526683
7 mile route (same as 6 mile route but adds out/back on sidewalk along Buena Vista Drive and an additional loop around DHS bus station): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1093614512

I ran these routes early in the morning because we were going to parks, but you could really run these routes at anytime.

There is a sidewalk all along Epcot Resorts Blvd except for a small portion just before and after the viaduct (between Beach Club Villas and Boardwalk). It's only about 50 feet or so between the back side of Beach Club Villas and the start of the viaduct sidewalk, but it's a little longer, maybe 150 feet, on the other side of the viaduct before getting to a sidewalk by the Boardwalk (although there is some space in the grass on this stretch if needed). When I say viaduct, the road becomes a tunnel that goes under the boat viaduct. In any case, there is a sidewalk when you go under the viaduct, just not right before and after.

For the longer routes with the loop around DHS parking lot, I stayed just inside the parking lot barriers/poles, so that I was separated from the cars entering DHS. It wasn't bad at all.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting these routes. We’ll be at the Yacht Club next month and I was trying to figure out 3+ mile runs without just running the same loop over and over again.

Just want to add my recent experience, in case it’s helpful for anyone:

We stayed at the Polynesian this past weekend. I ran a modified version of the “official” route between Poly + GF.

I wore a buff/gaiter around my neck and just pulled it up when I passed someone. Other runners that I saw weren’t wearing any type of face covering.

There were very few people on the path. Most walkers that I saw were just enjoying their morning coffee and thus had their masks off. It was very easy to distance from people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!