Running the WDW Resorts

BFD

Mouseketeer
Just a quick index of this thread:

Scroll down in this post for Port Orleans
Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness: Running the WDW Resorts
Polynesian/Grand Floridian: Running the WDW Resorts

A week or two ago, I had the idea to start running the Disney World resort paths, just to make my weekend runs a little more fun. I live about 20 minutes away, so it's pretty easy to just head over for an hour or two, especially early in the morning before traffic gets bad. So, I decided to start a thread here and post some photos and information for anyone else thinking about running any of the resort paths.

I found a list and maps of most of the resorts here: http://allears.net/btp/running.htm

I asked about it in another thread, and someone suggested Port Orleans as a good one, so I decided to start there. Here's the map for the Port Orleans running trail: http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/port-orleans-french-quarter-map.pdf

full

I wanted to do about 3 miles, and most of the resort paths aren't more than a mile or so. Port Orleans is 1.7 miles if you run from the beginning all the way through and back (red dotted line). The loop around Riverside (blue line) by itself is 1 mile. So I decided to start at the beginning of the trail, run the Riverside loop twice, then back to where I started for a total of 2.7 miles. You could probably add more distance by taking one of the bridges to Ol' Man Island and running the loop around it, but I didn't try that so I'm not sure what that's like.

If you're driving there just for the run, you want to enter at the French Quarter entrance. But if you do like me and accidentally pass it and end up entering at Riverside, it's fine, you can still get to where you want to be from there. Follow the signs to the South Quarter to park, and head over to Building 1.

As suggested in the other thread, I told the nice lady at the gate that I was there to get some beignets, (which was 100% true so not technically a lie) and she let me in with no questions asked and directed me where to go.

The trail starts around the side of Building 1. It's really not clearly marked, so you have to familiarize yourself with the map a little to know what you're looking for. Here's where you start:

20180211_091506 (1).jpg

I got there around 8am on a Sunday, and I wouldn't want to get there much later than that. It was a little foggy to start with, which to me, for some reason, made it seem like the perfect day to run Port Orleans. Something about the river and the Spanish moss on the trees, I guess.

It really is a beautiful path.

20180211_083726 (1).jpg

20180211_083924.jpg

20180211_083019.jpg

20180211_082937.jpg

I only saw a couple of signs indicating there was a running trail throughout the whole thing, so I kept having to stop and refer to the map I had on my phone to make sure I was going the right way. But it is fairly straightforward, and after the first time around, very simple. You basically just stay alongside the river. It's mostly level with only a couple of gentle uphills around the bridges.

The only part I didn't love was where you have to run through the lobby/food court area in the Riverside loop, but that's only because there's obviously a lot more people walking around there. Just follow it around for a short distance, and when you get past the waterwheel, you're back on the regular path.

20180211_083326.jpg

A few minutes in, I saw signs about a Fun Run happening at the same time that I didn't know anything about, so I felt kindof dumb for not checking this out beforehand and trying to get in on it.

20180211_083216 (1).jpg

When I got home, I looked it up. Apparently, this happens every Sunday. It's a $15 fee to run a 1.5 mile course (but you can run an extra loop if you want), and you get 3 free beignets and a "medal" (a plastic medallion on Mardi Gras beads) at the end. I may do it next time. You can run it the way I did for free of course, and you can get 3 beignets for less than $5 at the food court (Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory.) But I guess with the $15 fee, you also get the beads, a bib, and a button. So, some nice keepsakes, if you're into that kind of thing.

Here's a schedule of events for the resort: http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php

The payoff:

20180211_093912.jpg

The courtyard outside the food court is a nice place to sit and relax for a bit. Just remember about the beignets: the powdered sugar is like sand at the beach. It gets everywhere and you'll probably be finding it in weird places for weeks to come.

The food court also has water and sports drinks, in addition to lots of options for breakfast, if you need anything like that after your run.

Since I missed signing up for the official race and didn't get a medal, I decided to make my own at the penny press machine.

20180211_103240.jpg

Overall, it was very pleasant, and I will be happy to do it again at some point. Just get started as early as you can to avoid the crowds.

Next week, I'm thinking about trying Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness and back. My plan at this point is to do a new one each week, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice, please feel free.

Last edited:
That’s a pretty cool idea. And beignets are all the medal you ever need but I like the pressed penny.

Fun idea! Love the pictures too - it’s one thing to see the paths on a map, but much better to see actual photos.

Looking forward to more posts!

A week or two ago, I had the idea to start running the Disney World resort paths, just to make my weekend runs a little more fun. I live about 20 minutes away, so it's pretty easy to just head over for an hour or two, especially early in the morning before traffic gets bad. So, I decided to start a thread here and post some photos and information for anyone else thinking about running any of the resort paths.

I found a list and maps of most of the resorts here: http://allears.net/btp/running.htm

I asked about it in another thread, and someone suggested Port Orleans as a good one, so I decided to start there. Here's the map for the Port Orleans running trail: http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/port-orleans-french-quarter-map.pdf

full

I wanted to do about 3 miles, and most of the resort paths aren't more than a mile or so. Port Orleans is 1.7 miles if you run from the beginning all the way through and back (red dotted line). The loop around Riverside (blue line) by itself is 1 mile. So I decided to start at the beginning of the trail, run the Riverside loop twice, then back to where I started for a total of 2.7 miles. You could probably add more distance by taking one of the bridges to Ol' Man Island and running the loop around it, but I didn't try that so I'm not sure what that's like.

If you're driving there just for the run, you want to enter at the French Quarter entrance. But if you do like me and accidentally pass it and end up entering at Riverside, it's fine, you can still get to where you want to be from there. Follow the signs to the South Quarter to park, and head over to Building 1.

As suggested in the other thread, I told the nice lady at the gate that I was there to get some beignets, (which was 100% true so not technically a lie) and she let me in with no questions asked and directed me where to go.

The trail starts around the side of Building 1. It's really not clearly marked, so you have to familiarize yourself with the map a little to know what you're looking for. Here's where you start:

301779-e35d551651dde4b503d283eb2f839aca.jpg

I got there around 8am on a Sunday, and I wouldn't want to get there much later than that. It was a little foggy to start with, which to me, for some reason, made it seem like the perfect day to run Port Orleans. Something about the river and the Spanish moss on the trees, I guess.

It really is a beautiful path.

301777-3f5c7a92f8b8148f80ed6515d96b93a1.jpg

301778-eff9e61b507bde46178426f2f940dbb7.jpg

301774-18fec3101f6754afb47135693bdb8bae.jpg

301773-ba665d7f78b51d4a1a151f5315174f37.jpg

I only saw a couple of signs indicating there was a running trail throughout the whole thing, so I kept having to stop and refer to the map I had on my phone to make sure I was going the right way. But it is fairly straightforward, and after the first time around, very simple. You basically just stay alongside the river. It's mostly level with only a couple of gentle uphills around the bridges.

The only part I didn't love was where you have to run through the lobby/food court area in the Riverside loop, but that's only because there's obviously a lot more people walking around there. Just follow it around for a short distance, and when you get past the waterwheel, you're back on the regular path.

301776-ac23f90d94d7e04e3b810803d40169aa.jpg

A few minutes in, I saw signs about a Fun Run happening at the same time that I didn't know anything about, so I felt kindof dumb for not checking this out beforehand and trying to get in on it.

301775-be759011f37bfc16f09fa38e1a3ff37a.jpg

When I got home, I looked it up. Apparently, this happens every Sunday. It's a $15 fee to run a 1.5 mile course (but you can run an extra loop if you want), and you get 3 free beignets and a "medal" (a plastic medallion on Mardi Gras beads) at the end. I may do it next time. You can run it the way I did for free of course, and you can get 3 beignets for less than $5 at the food court (Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory.) But I guess with the $15 fee, you also get the beads, a bib, and a button. So, some nice keepsakes, if you're into that kind of thing.

Here's a schedule of events for the resort: http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php

The payoff:

301780-fd36bdf772f8f2ac4ea525a1ecf845b7.jpg

The courtyard outside the food court is a nice place to sit and relax for a bit. Just remember about the beignets: the powdered sugar is like sand at the beach. It gets everywhere and you'll probably be finding it in weird places for weeks to come.

The food court also has water and sports drinks, in addition to lots of options for breakfast, if you need anything like that after your run.

Since I missed signing up for the official race and didn't get a medal, I decided to make my own at the penny press machine.

301781-1630088829257a3041292e3c442e41cf.jpg

Overall, it was very pleasant, and I will be happy to do it again at some point. Just get started as early as you can to avoid the crowds.

Next week, I'm thinking about trying Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness and back. My plan at this point is to do a new one each week, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice, please feel free.

That looks like a great run. I like the out and back part over to POFQ but I always running toward POFQ on the mansions side of the river so I need to do the loop up and over the bridge to get to the FQ path.

In order to tack on some additional distance I tend to run back up into Alligator Bayou if I am running at a time when not a lot of people are out. I find I can get kind of lost on those paths if I don't watch out though.

That’s a pretty cool idea. And beignets are all the medal you ever need but I like the pressed penny.

The pressed penny thing hadn't even occurred to me until i saw the machine in the lobby. We developed a bit of a hobby during our two week vacation on the property last year of trying to collect as many of them as possible. I now know which pennies to use to get the best ones (pre-1982,) have a book full of them, and even some cleaner to keep them shiny. (I never said it wasn't a nerdy hobby.) Anyway, I think now I'll try to get one for every resort I run, and try to find some kind of fun way to display them.

Fun idea! Love the pictures too - it’s one thing to see the paths on a map, but much better to see actual photos.

Thanks--I really was not prepared for how breathtaking the path is at Port Orleans. I had looked for info like this, to know what to expect, and hadn't really found it anywhere so I thought I'd share. I'm really excited to check out the other ones I haven't been to yet.

That looks like a great run. I like the out and back part over to POFQ but I always running toward POFQ on the mansions side of the river so I need to do the loop up and over the bridge to get to the FQ path.

In order to tack on some additional distance I tend to run back up into Alligator Bayou if I am running at a time when not a lot of people are out. I find I can get kind of lost on those paths if I don't watch out though.

I think you know more about this place than I do. What do you mean by mansion side?

I can totally see getting lost back there. I made a wrong turn myself once, just after the lobby area, I wasn't paying attention and went across one of the bridges. I thought, I can probably find my way back around, but really wanted to stay on the main path, so ended up turning around and going back. There are probably a lot of ways to add more distance, including just getting lost. It's a great place to get lost in. I love that there's plenty of shade for most of it.

I think you know more about this place than I do. What do you mean by mansion side?
In your map the buildings on the right side of the Sassagola River (or the part by building 90 and 95).

I love the creativity here! That is so cool what you did with the pennies for the medal! Can't wait to see more posts on this or maybe even a blog?

Reactions: BFD
My niece and I will be doing our own modified 5K at Port Orleans in a couple weeks since she is unable to run the Princess 5K with me next weekend. This resort was the first one that came to mind when we were discussing possibly doing a fun run together on our trip, so it's nice to see we're not the only ones with this idea!

Reactions: BFD
I love the creativity here! That is so cool what you did with the pennies for the medal! Can't wait to see more posts on this or maybe even a blog?

Thanks! I guess *this* is my blog, since I don't currently have another one. I'm glad people are enjoying it and I'm excited to add to it. :)

My niece and I will be doing our own modified 5K at Port Orleans in a couple weeks since she is unable to run the Princess 5K with me next weekend. This resort was the first one that came to mind when we were discussing possibly doing a fun run together on our trip, so it's nice to see we're not the only ones with this idea!

Of course this is the only one I've done so far, but it's hard to imagine a better one. The Beignet Dash fun run I think would be a great substitute if she's disappointed about not getting to do the official race. (I wish I had gotten in on the Princess 5k too.)

We had our first visit to WDW last year and stayed at both POR and Beach Club. On our third morning I finally made it out for a run (previous two mornings had been early park starts) while the family slept. It was beautiful out, sun was just rising, and there were hardly any other people around. I wound up going for around 6k by adding a loop around the outside of the buildings, but this was not quite sominteresting as it was just running through carparks... The only problem was the heat and humidity - it was close 80 with a dew point around 77, so I was drenched by the time I finished!

Here is a pic while on the run looking across the river at the building we were in (Parterre I think). Loved our stay there, great introduction to WDW, but liked Beach Club even better!
POR.JPG

We had our first visit to WDW last year and stayed at both POR and Beach Club. On our third morning I finally made it out for a run (previous two mornings had been early park starts) while the family slept. It was beautiful out, sun was just rising, and there were hardly any other people around. I wound up going for around 6k by adding a loop around the outside of the buildings, but this was not quite sominteresting as it was just running through carparks... The only problem was the heat and humidity - it was close 80 with a dew point around 77, so I was drenched by the time I finished!

Here is a pic while on the run looking across the river at the building we were in (Parterre I think). Loved our stay there, great introduction to WDW, but liked Beach Club even better!
View attachment 302349

Beautiful picture. I stayed there for a couple of days a few years ago, but we were on the back side (parking lot side) of Acadia, so I know what you mean about it not being nearly as charming as everything in the middle part here.

Today was Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness Day!

Found the maps and spent a decent amount of time studying them (especially Fort Wilderness) so I could spend as little time as possible during my run trying to make sure I was on the right path.

http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/fort-wilderness-map.pdf
http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/wilderness-lodge-map.pdf

Originally I thought I'd just try to park at Wilderness Lodge, but then I decided since I had plenty of time and I was in no hurry, I'd take the scenic route, starting at the Transportation and Ticket Center, taking the monorail to the Contemporary, then the boat to WL. It was a beautiful day and still relatively cool by the time I got there (around 8am) so it was nice taking the long way there.

Once you get to Wilderness Lodge, to get to the running path, you want to head over to Boulder Ridge Villas, which is toward the front of the property, just off the main lobby. About as far away from the boat transportation as you can get.

WL.JPG

To make it simple, just head toward the bus transportation. When you get to the start of the running path, this is what you'll see.

20180218_085419.jpg

To me, it looks like you want to head down the covered path. Don't do that. You'll end up at a dead end. Turn to the right, and head out toward where the busses are loading and unloading.

20180218_085443.jpg

This is where we get started.

If you look at the Wilderness Lodge map, it looks like there's really not much to it at all. But it's a little misleading. There's a little stretch between the two properties that's about .7 miles long.

20180218_085751.jpg

Cross the street here, and you're on your way.

It's a really nice, shady path. I passed some people walking, running, and some families on bikes, but it wasn't super crowded, and the path is wide enough that it's not an issue.

20180218_085832.jpg

20180218_085943.jpg

The Fort Wilderness trail is a little more confusing. The route along the road that's marked is very straightforward, but the sidewalks and paths alongside it require a little bit of navigation.

FW.JPG

And again, the path is not clearly marked. In fact, I only remember seeing the one sign at the start of the path at Wilderness Lodge, and I don't remember seeing any at FW. So it's a good idea to have the map handy. My suggestion would be to use an app like Map My Run, that shows you where you are and the path that you've run so far, so you can figure out which way to go if you get confused.

The map makes it look like you run on the road. I did see someone running on the road, but I'm more comfortable on the sidewalk. And there are sidewalks all along the route. If you look at your Map My Run app, you can see the sidewalks much more clearly. I basically just held my phone in my hand and kept referring back to it. There are some areas where you might see several forks in the path, or where it looks like it ends altogether. You have to investigate a little to figure out where to go from there. I do wish Disney would mark the paths a little more clearly.

A little ways through, I noticed that the sidewalks make the path a little longer and more winding, and then I spent the rest of my run with The Long and Winding Road stuck in my head. Not the most motivational running song in the world.

20180218_093215.jpg

Except for a few areas, it's mostly nice and shady and almost completely level.

20180218_091848.jpg

This is the route that I ended up running:

Map2.JPG

Once I finished the FW loop, I just retraced my steps to go back to WL. So from Wilderness Lodge through Fort Wilderness and back again, you can probably get around 4 miles. I planned on running all the way back, but I don't usually run more than 3 miles at a time, and one of my knees has been a little sore so I decided not to push it, and walked the rest of the way.

All in all it was a very pleasant run, as was the trip there and back on the boat. I also enjoyed wandering through the Wilderness Lodge property, getting a bite to eat, and looking for a penny press machine that I liked. It was a nice way to spend a morning that only cost about $10, and if you can get out of Disney for $10, you're definitely winning.

Next week, Polynesian/Grand Floridian.

By the way, Geyser Point is a beautiful place to cool down after your run. It's an open air bar/restaurant that doesn't open until lunch time, so if you're there in the morning, you can have the place mostly to yourself. There's a quick service food location there where you can grab a pastry or some oatmeal, coffee, soda, water, etc. But the selection is very limited, and when I went to Roaring Fork afterward, I wished I'd gone there first and brought my breakfast back over to Geyser Point.

20180218_095504.jpg

Still, it wasn't bad, and the view...

20180218_095832.jpg

20180218_102951.jpg

I didn't love the penny machines though, none of them had the name of the property on them, at either Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness. Which is really disappointing. But I got the one I thought was best.

20180218_111109.jpg

A little inspiration before you go: https://open.spotify.com/user/gregscottbryan/playlist/7AiposHl6men82THLySgxz

Last edited:
So, today I got to go to my happy place.

Well, almost. My happy place is on a chaise lounge, under a poolside cabana at the Oasis pool, at the Polynesian resort, with a drink in my hand, listening to the retro Hawaiian music.

20170904_101451.jpg

In fact, this is a picture of me, right there in my happy place.

Unfortunately, that's not why I was here today, but still, I can think of many, many worse places to go for a run.

I specifically chose this path today because I wanted to keep it short. I've been battling a sore knee all week, took a few days off, and wanted to just do a quick easy trial run, to see if I could handle it. This was a great place for a light run. The path from the far end of the Polynesian to the pool at the Grand Floridian is only about a mile long. I decided to run from the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian and back for a distance of 2 miles, so I parked at the TTC again, walked over to the Poly, and started there. You could easily run it back and forth as many times as you like to get the distance you want. I passed by another runner 3 times while I was there--once when I was just getting started, again at the Grand Floridian, and then one more time as I was finishing up back at the Poly. He was still going strong. For all I know, he's still there running laps.

Anyway, here's the maps:

http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/polynesian-village-resort.pdf
http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/grand-floridian-map.pdf

One of my favorite things about the Polynesian is the music, and it's really nice to be able to hear it while you're running. If you're in denial about your vacation being over and you want to listen while you're at home, here you go: https://open.spotify.com/user/kleph/playlist/4YwJ93byOjpDfnraRKR9o8

So, I started over by the Moorea longhouse--the first one you come to if you're walking over from the Transportation and Ticket Center. Just take a right, and head toward the water.

20180225_081518.jpg

Unlike the last two where I had to keep checking my map, this one is very straightforward. It runs basically alongside Seven Seas Lagoon the whole way. It would be pretty hard to get lost.

20180225_081543.jpg

20180225_082020.jpg

The path is lots of different surfaces--sidewalk, stone (or concrete poured to look like stone,) brick, and even a little bit of boardwalk. Keeps it interesting.

20180225_082118.jpg

Trader Sam's doesn't open til 4, so keep moving.

20180225_082317.jpg

Incidentally, today was Princess Half Marathon day. I debated even going, because I figured it would be really crowded and the traffic would be bad. And it was. A lot of roads were closed, so I wasn't able to go in the way I usually do. It probably took an extra 20-30 minutes of detour time before I was able to park. Getting out afterward wasn't much easier. But I'm glad I went, because I enjoyed the run, and I saw lots of people with medals around their necks, which gave me even more inspiration to sign up for the very next RunDisney event that I'm able to. That apple medal is AMAZING and I'm a little distraught that I can't have one.

In between the Poly and the Grand Floridian, I caught a glimpse of some of the half marathon runners. Never thought I'd be so jealous of people working so hard.

Anyway, I made the loop around the pool at the Grand Floridian, turned around and headed back the same way.

20180225_082448.jpg 20180225_082802.jpg

20180225_083152.jpg

It's almost completely level, so that's another reason it's nice for a light, easy run.

Breakfast at the Poly means one thing to me: Tonga Toast.

20180225_085616.jpg

I don't usually eat meat, but I will make an exception for bacon. The patio outside Captain Cook's and the Tiki Terrace are really nice for having something to drink while you cool down.

This run felt so easy to me, I felt like I probably could've gone back and forth another time or two. Maybe next time. The good news is that the knee feels fine so far today, so I'll definitely be doing it again.

Next week, I'm doing the Best Damn Race Orlando 5K, so I won't be doing any of the resorts. I'm tossing around ideas for the next one after that. Right now I'm thinking of either the Epcot resort/Boardwalk area, or Contemporary to Magic Kingdom and back. I'm also really intrigued by the idea of running through Disney Springs early in the morning while no one is there. Has anyone ever done this?

I'm also really intrigued by the idea of running through Disney Springs early in the morning while no one is there. Has anyone ever done this?

DH and I did a SSR and then through DS run early one morning. There were a good many cast members out there driving "golf carts" and working to prepare DS for a new day, and about half-way through, we got stopped by security and kicked out because DS wasn't open yet. So be sure to check the opening time before you go. If you get there right at "rope drop" you can probably run without having security stop you and before the crowd gathers. I believe @Wendy98 has also been kicked out!

DH and I did a SSR and then through DS run early one morning. There were a good many cast members out there driving "golf carts" and working to prepare DS for a new day, and about half-way through, we got stopped by security and kicked out because DS wasn't open yet. So be sure to check the opening time before you go. If you get there right at "rope drop" you can probably run without having security stop you and before the crowd gathers. I believe @Wendy98 has also been kicked out!

Oh really, that's interesting. I was there a couple of days ago and looked at the sign at the entrance, right in front of the stairs from the lime garage, that says Disney Springs opens at 8am, but that the businesses all open at different times. Were you there earlier than 8? I usually haven't been getting to the resorts any earlier than that anyway, so hopefully that would be ok. Next time I go, I'll ask someone. Definitely don't want to get kicked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!