Running with a dog - harness recommendations

AgentMama

DIS Veteran
I've recently started running with my parent's standard poodle. They just have a regular collar for her. I think it would be safer to take her out in a harness, but am wondering what everyone else uses. I don't want something that is going to torque her neck or shoulders or rub her skin.

I've recently started running with my parent's standard poodle. They just have a regular collar for her. I think it would be safer to take her out in a harness, but am wondering what everyone else uses. I don't want something that is going to torque her neck or shoulders or rub her skin.

Barkley, my golden retriever, runs with his prong collar on and I use a waist leash (Stunt Puppy or Iron Doggy are the two brands I own). He was sent to training and knows not to pull when the prong collar on though, so if she's not been trained using one I might not use it. My trainer told me not to use a harness with him because he is stronger than me and could pull me more effectively with one on, unless it has an attachment on the chest, rather than the back of the neck. I've heard good things about the Easy Walk harnesses, but I've never actually used one. Hopefully this helps! 😊

Harnesses are designed to help the dog pull. That is why many people don't recommend them for running. If you aren't careful, many of them (especially the front clip harnesses) restrict the dogs natural movement which can cause harm in the long run. Running with humans already isn't the natural stride for a dog which is why its important to wait until they are fully developed to do so.

I run with my Rhodesian Ridgeback with a martingale collar. We worked on basic loose leash walking manners before moving to running at the appropriate age. The martingale is typically loose on his fur and only gets tight if he tries to go too far ahead (like when the river otter wants to run in front of us...) but once it tightens, he comes back to where he should be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter