Safety/security of tent sites?

Wendysofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
Should a female traveling alone have any qualms about a Ft. Wilderness tent site? I figure Disney security is probably better than most campgrounds and was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Generally you should have no qualms, Wendysofftoneverland.

The two tent loops, 1500 and 2000, are very compatible. 1500 has fewer sites and is frequently full so neighbors/help is not very far away because the other folks have tents or pop-ups (canvas).

2000 is bigger and typically fills up on weekends. Perhaps when you check in, even if you get a site automatically assigned and texted to you, you can go in and find out where it is and ask to be transferred to a different site if you wish. I would think you would want people in the sites around you and not stuck off sorta by yourself. And maybe close to a Comfort Station to shorten any walks after dark.

Disney security has ridden through our loop 2-3 times a day that I've seen while we've been here (currently in 1100).

I'm a guy but that's my opinion.

Bama Ed

I've tent camped solo at Ft Wilderness in the 1500 Loop many times. (I still love it; the rest of my family is over it) There are some things I do for safety including: always listing at least one other person on my reservation, keeping valuables in a lockbox in the office (because I fly in), keeping the direct line to Security in my phone, and putting jingle bells on the tent doors. All of these things help me sleep better... but I've never had any issues or problems staying alone at Ft Wilderness.

I've tent camped solo at Ft Wilderness in the 1500 Loop many times. (I still love it; the rest of my family is over it) There are some things I do for safety including: always listing at least one other person on my reservation, keeping valuables in a lockbox in the office (because I fly in), keeping the direct line to Security in my phone, and putting jingle bells on the tent doors. All of these things help me sleep better... but I've never had any issues or problems staying alone at Ft Wilderness.
Great suggestions. Were there any issues when you checked in without the other person(s) on your reservation?

Thanks for the info, everyone. I figured in these Covid times, I'd rather have the fresh air of the campground than stay in the (non-Disney) hotel where my friends are staying.

Were there any issues when you checked in without the other person(s) on your reservation?

The person who is the name on the reservation has to be the one to do the check-in (either in person when arriving or on-line anytime beforehand).

Once the check-in process is complete, anyone else on your reservation can come in on the "returning guests" side of the front entrance of the Fort and use their magic band to open the gate.

Note if checking in on-line in advance, you will receive a text with your site number when it is ready. That is when the magic bands will work. If checking in in person, the name on the reservation has to be the one and they will get a site assigned (if one is ready). So with either method, once you are checked in and have a specific site number, all names/magic bands on the reservation can roll in and out.

Bama Ed

"Were there any issues when you checked in without the other person(s) on your reservation? "

No problems, just tell them the other person can't make it...no extra charges for people not showing up. I add a "person" to my ADRs since Disney's system seems to prefer even numbers. I've never been given any grief when it's just me showing up.

have fun!

I've never camped solo at the Fort, but have done so in other places. We usually stay at either preferred or Spanish Moss Lane (loop 2000), and while we have a mini camper now, we've tented it several times and I didn't feel the need to lock up anything other than items like wallet, phone and cameras. I didn't feel the need to lock up these items if just taking a bathroom run.

No public place like a campground is going to be perfectly safe (being amongst humanity and all) but FW is as safe as it gets, comparatively. We lock our camper up when we leave for the day, or for activities like meals at the settlement (in the past), but I don't do so for just doing a BR run if I'm by myself at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter