Sailing out of New York

Lizzards

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I am looking for some help and advice concerning a Disney Magic Cruise out of New York. We are from Southern California, and I have never been to New York. So, I was wondering what airport is best to fly into and where to stay pre and post cruise.....actually any advice for a sailing out of NYC would be appreciated!

Oh it is the sailing that covers the week of Thanksgiving....embark is 11/17 and disembark is 11/24....if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Liz

It is beautiful!!!! There are a few NYC planning threads that I will try to find and link for you.

Here is one from 2016

https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-york-2016-cruises-planning-info-thread-nyc.3413090/

and one from 2011

https://www.disboards.com/threads/nyc-cruises-planning-info-thread.2704317/

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/new-york.htm

I thought there was a more recent one but I can't seem to find it. Maybe another poster will have more luck.

Basically, like LA, NYC can be expensive. In both threads there are some hotel recommendations that should still pertain to upcoming cruises.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away....everyone is pretty willing to help plan!!

We have sailed DCL out of NYC several times (we live about 30 minutes from the port) so don't need hotel ever. But I can tell you to try to avoid LGA (LaGuardia) as it is undergoing major renovations currently and is a big mess to get into and out of.

You could fly into EWR (Newark) or JFK. We actually just got back from JFK (had to drop my DD off). From any of the airports you should be able to find a cab to Manhattan.

MJ

Last edited:
Our favorite hotel in NYC is a great boutique hotel, the Casablanca Hotel, at the corner of Broadway and W 43rd St just off Time Square in fact, we'll be there again in March). The price includes a good breakfast to start the day and an afternoon wine and cheese reception. The staff is fantastic. It is a short cab ride to the Cruise Port and walking distance to theaters and a zillion NYC sites. Shhh! It's the best kept secret in NYC...

Like MJ, I live close to NYC. So, we don’t fly in or need a hotel. We will be on our 3rd cruise out of NYC this October.

I did work in NYC for over 10 years. NYC is the real deal. In the USA there is no other city like it. And people are friendly. Just always on the move and they always look pre-occupied.

MJ provide you with some great links. From what I have read EWR (Newark) maybe your easiest to get to and from. Newark has a train that will connect you with NJ Transit trains to the city. JFK is in Queens, NY and traffic can be super crazy to and from. But with city traffic is all about the day of the week and time of day.

Hotel accommodations can be in city if you are planning sight seeing before or after. There are many different accommodations available. Some people stay in NJ, either in Hoboken, West N.Y. or Jersey City, where you are a ferry ride or path train to Manhattan.

There are a lot of nice boutique hotels in the city. One that I really like is the Sanctuary Hotel on West 47th. It’s close to the action but reasonable for city prices. The Millennium Hotel is also nice on West 44th.

Of course there is so much to do and see in Manhattan. Christmas decorations will be up. Store windows will be decorated. The Rockefeller Christmas tree will probably be up but maybe not light till very end of November or December 1st.

I am sure you will get more help. Good luck and enjoy!

Oh and the port is easy to get to. Just on the West side across from NJ.

Th view leaving the port is crazy beautiful. Th skyline, sun setting , Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Freedom Tower and going under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge.

We did that cruise this year and are doing it again next year. We live in NorCal and flew from oakland to Newark. We stayed at a great Embassy Suites in Newark, rented a car, and drove in for the cruise. We actually drove around the city the night before. There’s a rental return near the port, $10 cab ride. Post cruise we got the government rate at a Hilton Garden Inn in the theater district.

Of our 10 cruises this was by far the best. We’ll that extra day as last year was 8 and this year is a 7 night cruise.

Hello all! I am looking for some help and advice concerning a Disney Magic Cruise out of New York. We are from Southern California, and I have never been to New York. So, I was wondering what airport is best to fly into and where to stay pre and post cruise.....actually any advice for a sailing out of NYC would be appreciated!

Oh it is the sailing that covers the week of Thanksgiving....embark is 11/17 and disembark is 11/24....if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Liz
Fly into Newark. 50-60 dollar Uber fare to Times Square. You can walk from Times Square to the port it's about 15 minute walk. We stayed at the Double tree Suites in Times Square after the cruise and walked right from the port to the hotel. I found the best rates using my AAA card and weekends are cheaper. We were there the week before you and found really good hotel rates after the cruise. Try any of the Hiltons near Time Square. Your cruise ends Thanksgiving weekend so you may find better rates before your cruise.

NYC is a surprisingly easy place to cruise out of. Be prepared for cold weather.

Last edited:

We flew into Newark for this year's Thanksgiving cruise, really liked that the airport was not so big. Stayed at the airport Hilton and then took the air train into the city the morning of the cruise. It was about a $10 cab ride from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. The air train was very easy to use, and reasonably priced.

Sailing out of New York Harbor was like nothing else we had ever experienced. The city was beautiful, the Statue of Liberty was all lit up, sailing under the bridge was an amazing experience. It was really, really cold, but so worth it to be out on deck experiencing all that. One of my favorite cruises of all time.

Our favorite hotel in NYC is a great boutique hotel, the Casablanca Hotel, at the corner of Broadway and W 43rd St just off Time Square in fact, we'll be there again in March). The price includes a good breakfast to start the day and an afternoon wine and cheese reception. The staff is fantastic. It is a short cab ride to the Cruise Port and walking distance to theaters and a zillion NYC sites. Shhh! It's the best kept secret in NYC...

I live in South Jersey so I never have had to fly to New York City for cruises. Usually I only do day trips when I go there but last summer I did a weekend trip to NYC. I booked the Casablanca after reading great reviews on Trip Advisor. I completely agree with you on everything you said about it. I am doing another weekend trip in June when I go to see Frozen and I plan on staying there again.

We're booked the week before you! I've done this itinerary once before and flew in and out of Newark. I stayed at the Springhill Suites at the airport and LOVED it. So much so that we are booked there again for this year. The ride to the port wasn't bad at all. We are planning on staying in Manhattan on the day that we get back since we don't fly out until Sunday. Here are a couple more threads to check out. One is just about the day at WDW.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/just-back-from-dvc-magic-nyc-cruise-any-questions.3551696/page-2
https://www.disboards.com/threads/cruises-out-of-nyc-with-a-stop-at-wdw-good-news.3635738/

Just throwing it out there, but flying into Islip (Long Island MacAruthr airport) is an option for flying into, too. It's about another hour on the train (Long Island Rail Road) to get into NYC but if you can get a SW deal it may be worth it. It's been cheaper for me to fly to California from there instead of JFK so I don't know if the reverse is true - they have another discount airline there now too (Frontier, maybe).

Also, while people say to avoid Laguardia, I've had 2 friends fly in there recently and both have had no issues, so while it is the last airport I'd chose, I wouldn't cross it off completely.

I did the Thanksgiving cruise last year. Seas were a pretty rough on the first day, because of a storm. It got much better after that though and sailing home were some of the calmest seas I've ever seen.

I tend to watch groupon and looks for sales for hotels, but quite honestly, my best luck for NYC hotels has been with chain places (unless you're willing to pay the big bucks). I've stayed in some places that look nice online but end up being a bit sketchy. There's a nice Holiday Inn Express 2 blocks from the port. If this is going to be a one time trip to NYC, I'd probably splurge and stay near Times Square.

I agree with above poster if this is a one time trip to NYC I'd splurge and pay the extra 200.00 per night to stay in Times Square. If money is an issue I'd find a way to cut corners somewhere else like downgrade my room on the ship.

Another option.
Just an FYI you can drop your bags at the port and go sightseeing. Times square and Grand Central are walking distance to the port. Just be back on board by all aboard time.

One of my favorite places to stay in NYC is the Renaissance Times Square. They have a lounge that overlooks Times Square that has breakfast (not free) with amazing views. Walking really is preferred in NYC. We've found it faster than taking a cab, even when going several blocks. We are sailing from there in September and will be making another trip in June to NYC before the cruise.

We fly into JFK, which always seems to be under construction. We've tried to book flights into Newark, but we live just north of Dallas and get better fares on American or SouthWest into JFK than anything into Newark. We've tried car service, cab and Uber from JFK to NYC. They recently instituted a new program that requires you to take a shuttle from the terminal to a pick up area for either a car service or an Uber/Lyft. This is intended to reduce traffic during construction, but it makes it much less convenient. The shuttles are crowded and moving your luggage on and off is a pain. It's not a long ride, but once you get to the pick up area you go to a zone and then contact your driver to tell them what zone you are in. If you take a cab into the city, you can get picked up at the curb outside the terminal. Even though the cab line is long, it's now the most convenient way to get into the city.

We love live theater so we like to go to a show (or two) when we are in town. You can choose to buy tickets in advance to the more popular shows, or you can try your luck at the TKTS window. They sell the unsold tickets to some great shows the day of the show at substantial discounts. If you have a few shows on your list that you want to see, you'll likely get some decent seats through TKTS to one you'll really enjoy.

Dining in NYC is awesome too. Really great places that offer some unique choices. I love to use YELP in NYC. You will want to make some time for a dining experience, or just choose to pick a pizza place that has good reviews if you prefer. Yelp has not done me wrong.

If you get into town with a few days to explore, consider visiting the aircraft carrier Independence. We walked there from Times Square and then back again. You could also choose to do the hop-on, hop-off bus tour. We've done this too and it's a pretty fun way to explore the island and learn a bit about it's history. Of course there are all the obvious places such as the Financial district, 9/11 memorial, Central Park and the museums.

We became somewhat familiar with the subway system as well and found it surprisingly easy to navigate. In fact, google maps set to "train" will give you all the stations, including walking directions to and from where you want to go and the stations. Super easy.

Don't be afraid of LaGuardia if that's your cheapest choice. It's by no means my favorite airport at all. But I've been in and out of it a handful of times in the last year (during construction), and while it is cramped, I still find it convenient into Manhattan with taxi fares lower than the other airports.

I was looking for this info too as we are on the same cruise, from Canada so flying in as well
Thanks for posting

Don't be afraid of LaGuardia if that's your cheapest choice. It's by no means my favorite airport at all. But I've been in and out of it a handful of times in the last year (during construction), and while it is cramped, I still find it convenient into Manhattan with taxi fares lower than the other airports.
OK ... so ... yeah ... my post above ... everything I wrote about JFK ... was actually LaGuardia.

Has anyone taken either the train or bus from Providence RI? Peter Pan supposedly drops off at the port, however feeling like the train would be more comfortable? Traveling with older parents and ten year old. Trying to make this comfortable, affordable and convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter