San Diego Rental Homes - Need Suggestions

HaViet

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, we just had a fabulous family vacation at WDW and now planning our next trip for Spring/Summer 2015.

We'll probably head to Southern CA next year, most likely San Diego. I started looking at homes, but the prices are very high (compared to what we paid in Orlando) and it spreads all all over the map.

So, I would really appreciate any help from forum members here.

1) Which areas of San Diego to rent? Which to avoid

2) How to rent affordably

3) Which site to look for rentals? Homeaway.com, VRBO.com, Airbnb.com?

Thanks much!

1) Many of the beach cities are great places to rent and obviously offer beautiful views and a pretty central location. I would look at Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, Coronado, Carlsbad, and near Downtown. La Jolla if you're willing to splurge.

2) What is your budget? What time of year? How many people are coming? How many bedrooms? Are people willing to share bedrooms? -- All of these things will affect the price of the rental...

3) Here are few that I found:
2 bd. condo in Ocean Beach
2 bd. house in Mission Hills
3 bd. house in North Park
3 bd. house near Downtown
3 bd. house near the Beach

I tend to look at VRBO. They will also list HomeAway properties but after all the VRBO ones have been shown.

I have looked at airbnb but I personally prefer to rent through VRBO. I don't really know why....it's just a personal thing I guess.

The closer you are to SD and to the beach, the more you might expect to pay.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Our travel month is August 2015.

Budget is $5-$7k for a week rental

Our party is 14 so we prefer a property with at least 4-5 beds.

We would also like to have a pool for the kids.

1) Many of the beach cities are great places to rent and obviously offer beautiful views and a pretty central location. I would look at Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, Coronado, Carlsbad, and near Downtown. La Jolla if you're willing to splurge.

2) What is your budget? What time of year? How many people are coming? How many bedrooms? Are people willing to share bedrooms? -- All of these things will affect the price of the rental...

3) Here are few that I found:
2 bd. condo in Ocean Beach
2 bd. house in Mission Hills
3 bd. house in North Park
3 bd. house near Downtown
3 bd. house near the Beach

Thanks for the links, but I think we are going to need something bigger. We have 14 in our travel party.

I'd use VRBO but it helps to know what you want to do in Sandy Eggo before suggesting areas.

But... needing 4-5 bedrooms might limit you as the larger homes tend to be in the suburbs.

I'd use VRBO but it helps to know what you want to do in Sandy Eggo before suggesting areas.

But... needing 4-5 bedrooms might limit you as the larger homes tend to be in the suburbs.

We would definitely like to visit Seaworld, San Diego Zoo, Legoland, and spend some times on the beach. I think somewhere close to the beach area would be nice so we can quickly make trips down the shores, walk around, enjoy dining and shopping.

We wouldn't necessarily need to get a home right on the shore or the beach, but close proximity would be highly desirable.

And we would also like a home with a pool/spa.

I know, that really limit our choices. I've look quite a bit but there doesn't seem to be many houses near the beach area with a pool and spa.

I think, if we know where to look it would make it much easier for us to focus our search on specific areas. So far I have Mission Beach, Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, Sunset cliffs, and La Jolla (expensive). Anything else?

Thanks,

We would definitely like to visit Seaworld, San Diego Zoo, Legoland, and spend some times on the beach. I think somewhere close to the beach area would be nice so we can quickly make trips down the shores, walk around, enjoy dining and shopping. We wouldn't necessarily need to get a home right on the shore or the beach, but close proximity would be highly desirable. And we would also like a home with a pool/spa. I know, that really limit our choices. I've look quite a bit but there doesn't seem to be many houses near the beach area with a pool and spa. I think, if we know where to look it would make it much easier for us to focus our search on specific areas. So far I have Mission Beach, Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, Sunset cliffs, and La Jolla (expensive). Anything else? Thanks,
As far as what you're looking for and where you're planning to visit, you have the right neighborhoods, but you're looking for the Holy Grail. Those types of places exist (pool, spa, 5+ bedrooms near a beach) but they are multi-million dollar homes. Just for fun I searched on VRBO and there is not really anything fitting all your needs. This one will sleep 14 and is a decently close location but no pool/spa: http://www.vrbo.com/60542 There's also this one that isn't built yet but promises to sleep 15 and will have a jacuzzi: http://www.vrbo.com/570002 This one is an amazing house with what you want but at least a 15 min. drive to anything: http://www.vrbo.com/479753#

As far as what you're looking for and where you're planning to visit, you have the right neighborhoods, but you're looking for the Holy Grail. Those types of places exist (pool, spa, 5+ bedrooms near a beach) but they are multi-million dollar homes. Just for fun I searched on VRBO and there is not really anything fitting all your needs. This one will sleep 14 and is a decently close location but no pool/spa: http://www.vrbo.com/60542 There's also this one that isn't built yet but promises to sleep 15 and will have a jacuzzi: http://www.vrbo.com/570002 This one is an amazing house with what you want but at least a 15 min. drive to anything: http://www.vrbo.com/479753#

Thanks, we have looked at those listings numerous times on VRBO also. The last one is the best one that would meet our criteria.

I think we've slowly come to the realization that if we want a pool and spa, it has to be away from the beach.

Could you reccommend any beaches that are clean, fun, and kids/family friendly?

Thanks

Thanks, we have looked at those listings numerous times on VRBO also. The last one is the best one that would meet our criteria. I think we've slowly come to the realization that if we want a pool and spa, it has to be away from the beach. Could you reccommend any beaches that are clean, fun, and kids/family friendly? Thanks

The beaches I recommend for families are typically mission beach, la Jolla, or coronado, but coronado is across the bay - but would make for a good day trip to visit the Hotel del Coronado, get ice dream, etc.

La Jolla is beautiful, but it will be expensive and getting in and out of the area can be nightmarish, traffic wise.

For the attractions you mentioned, the Mission Bay area would be ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter