$ saving tips at WDW

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
I seen some tips today I didn't know about, and I thought I knew every way there was to save $. :rotfl: Yes, I have been called frugal.

Let's compile ways to save on...

1. site/room ressies
2. tickets
3. dining
4. shopping

Thanks for helping me and others save!

Some people like to eat their way around all the TS restaurants at WDW. We split meals at the counter service restaurants. At MK's Colonial Harbor House, you can get 6 and 8 piece chicken nugget meals. Get the 8 and split it. A number of restaurants have small dinner salads. Get two salads and split one meal. I like the mac and cheese at DTD's Wolfgang Puck Express; but, don't want a whole big bowl of it. I also don't want to pay $10 for mac and cheese when I think the velveta stuff out of the box is just fine, thank you! I ordered a side of it and added a small salad. At EPCOT, consider a cheese plate (enough for 2-3 people) with a nice piece of bread and a glass of wine at the bakery in France.

I look forward to many more suggestions.

They just expanded the AP discount on merch (10%). Used to be only at WoD but is now good at all Disney run stores on WDW property. We used this last month but I'm not sure if this is "for a limited time" or not.

I'll also repost this great bit of info from Carol on the TiW card...
Tables in Wonderland is a Dining Discount program that Florida Residents and/or Passholders can purchase. (If you live out of state, you have to be a passholder to purchase it, if you live in Florida you don't have to be a passholder to purchase it, but you get a discount if you are a Passholder).

Anyway, it costs $75 a year for Passholders, and slightly more than that if you are a Florida Resident and don't have an Annual Pass.

It provides 20% off of sit down meals at participating restaurants around Disney Propoerty. It also provides 20% of off food court meals in resorts that don't have a sit down restaurant such as All-Stars, Port Orleans French Quarter, Pop Century and for 2008 & 2009, it provided 20% off of counter service eateries at Animal Kingdom. That can change at any time as they realize that they now have Tusker House as a full time table service, but for now, they are just too lazy to change the computer system.

New for 2009 for the program, when you use the card an 18% gratuity is automatically added to sit down meals. I'm sure they did that as most folks were probably tipping on the discounted amount. For us it actually saves us money as I was tipping the discount, then rounding up to the next dollar, so before our servers were getting 22 - 23%, now they only get 18%.

Oh, there is one distinct restriction that has caused us problems before. If you use the card, everyone at your table must be on the same check, so if you have a large group at your table, please ask your friends to bring cash to reimburse you as they WILL NOT separate the checks.

A little further info..
We bought our TiW card Nov'08 and it's good through 12/31/09. It just about paid for itself with one really nice meal/drinks for 4 at Calif Grill and we've used it a ton since we got it. It went up from $60 to $75 this year for AP holders, but we'll probably still get one next year.

Nice thing is that it covers alcohol too - even if you order drinks from Crocketts! :thumbsup2

You can also use it on take out from Trails End although not at Meadows snack bar.

Just remember that 18% tip IS included - the last time I got drinks on the porch of Crocketts I forgot and tipped. Lucky CM!

ETA: just remembered that it isn't good at Paradiso 37 at DTD. At least not yet. Our server said they have to be in operation for 6 mos. min. and then Disney reviews them. I think that may included DDP too, as you can't use that there yet either. Same was true when Yak and Yeti opened - not sure if that's changed?

Ooh - one more re: ICE at the FW comfort stations.
If you want to get the most for your $$ bring your own large bag or cooler with you to get ice. The bags they provide at the ice machine do not hold the full amount you get for your $2. You can fill up almost another 1/2 bag with the overflow. I usually bring a clean trash bag with me. :)

I seen some tips today I didn't know about, and I thought I knew every way there was to save $. :rotfl: Yes, I have been called frugal.

1. site/room ressies

AAA or AP - up to 20% off. Our last trip last year we go 20% off the entire month of Nov and that was huge - like $300 for the month.

2. tickets

Fl. resident or military thru Shades of Green - no sales tax

3. dining

DDP or Tables in Woinderland and AP (Fulton's, Rainforest, Yak and Yedi - all tips for TiW meals are included in the cost of the card and your real savings is 2% of the meal cost.

4. shopping

AP - 10% at Arribas Bros and World of Disney in DTD and maybe so other places like 50% for miniature golf, etc.

Thanks for helping me and others save!

Larry

2. tickets
When we bought AP's last month, the best price I found was at AAA South. For other types of tickets like MYW multi-day tickets, a good way to save is to sign up for the monthly Mousesavers newsletter, which is emailed on the 15th of each month. It typically contains a link to Undercover Tourist for special pricing on tickets.

3. dining
We use the TiW card everywhere we can. We bought it for $75 on our last trip, and by the end of the trip it already paid for itself. We will use it on upcoming trips in 2010 and the savings will be gravy, including CRT....20% adds up quickly there!

At Disney locations where TiW is not accepted, I always ask if they offer an AP discount. Some CS places do, some don't.

Off site or at non-Disney establishments, they often will give a 10% discount with AAA. On our recent trip, I discovered that Earl of Sandwich offers this.

4. shopping
Several places on site are now giving a 10% AP discount with no minimum purchase. You can also ask for and many times will receive a 10% discount with the Disney Visa card, with a $50 min purchase.

On tickets...if you're not a Florida resident - go thru AAA. IIRC it's either a 10% or 15% discount.

You can purchase a life-time club membership at either Rainforest or T-Rex and receive 20% off on meals and non-sale merchandise in the stores. We bought ours in 2002 for $18 and it has more than paid for itself in 7 years. I recently found out the discount card is good at Landry's Seafood Restaurant on SR 535, too. I'm sure it's more than $18 now, but probably not much more. The club card is good for all locations nationwide & in Canada.

I discontinued my Disney Dining Experience card (now TiW) two years ago when they decided to automatically add an 18% tip to your bill. I think I'm going to cave in and order a new one. When I think about it, we usually use it at CS & food courts only, and if we do eat at a full-service restaurant I usually leave 20% or more. So - even with the tip thrown in, it's still a nice savings for us.

If you shop at the Buena Vista Outlet Mall on SR 535, the Premier Outlet Mall, or Prime Outlet Mall on International, most stores give a AAA discount of anywhere from 10% - 20%. Just ask at check-out.

In the past, an AP stated you only got a discount on WDW merchandise at WoD. A few years ago I started asking about the discount at other DTD stores - including West Side. Some gave it, some didn't - even at the same store - different visits. So....ask! I sometimes score a discount at the AMC 24 with the AP. It just depends on the cashier selling the items.

Are you 55+ or active/retired military? No matter where you shop/dine - ask for a discount - even if it's not stated anywhere that they offer one. You'd be surprised at how many places will give those two classes of people a discount. The Home Depot I worked at gave a 10% military discount to all active/retired military if the customer asked for one & had appropriate I.D. That doesn't work at all Home Depots - it's at the store manager's discretion.....but ASK!

On tickets...if you're not a Florida resident - go thru AAA. IIRC it's either a 10% or 15% discount.

Just wanted to add that not all AAA offices offer a discount on tix. I know ours (Southern New England) doesn't. I think it varies by region/office. Still can't hurt to ask!

I didn't know about the TiW discount at food courts where there's no TS - good to know!!

You can purchase a life-time club membership at either Rainforest or T-Rex and receive 20% off on meals and non-sale merchandise in the stores. We bought ours in 2002 for $18 and it has more than paid for itself in 7 years. I recently found out the discount card is good at Landry's Seafood Restaurant on SR 535, too. I'm sure it's more than $18 now, but probably not much more. The club card is good for all locations nationwide & in Canada.

I discontinued my Disney Dining Experience card (now TiW) two years ago when they decided to automatically add an 18% tip to your bill. I think I'm going to cave in and order a new one. When I think about it, we usually use it at CS & food courts only, and if we do eat at a full-service restaurant I usually leave 20% or more. So - even with the tip thrown in, it's still a nice savings for us.

If you shop at the Buena Vista Outlet Mall on SR 535, the Premier Outlet Mall, or Prime Outlet Mall on International, most stores give a AAA discount of anywhere from 10% - 20%. Just ask at check-out.

In the past, an AP stated you only got a discount on WDW merchandise at WoD. A few years ago I started asking about the discount at other DTD stores - including West Side. Some gave it, some didn't - even at the same store - different visits. So....ask! I sometimes score a discount at the AMC 24 with the AP. It just depends on the cashier selling the items.

Are you 55+ or active/retired military? No matter where you shop/dine - ask for a discount - even if it's not stated anywhere that they offer one. You'd be surprised at how many places will give those two classes of people a discount. The Home Depot I worked at gave a 10% military discount to all active/retired military if the customer asked for one & had appropriate I.D. That doesn't work at all Home Depots - it's at the store manager's discretion.....but ASK!

I have gotten both the 10% discount at Lowes both in Va. and most recently in Jax, Fl. by showing them my retired I.D. I will have to check the next time I buy something a HD.

As an aside I was messing around with my Visa Reward $$ and found out the give 20% off of tours and while at EPCOT today went to Guest Relations and asked about the Behind the Magic 7hr tour we book in Jan 2010 for a total of $448 and yep rebooked it and now am paying 381.70 for 20% off. Visa calls it the "Backstage tour" and not the "Behind the Magic tour that WDW calls it. Looks like the 20% is off just the tour and not the buffet at WL that is included. Had the same thing when using the DDE at CRT. The discount did not come out to 20% and that was because something like $20/person was for the pict that is included on the price and you only get the 20% off the food portion. So on some of these discounts at WDW there are some interesting accounting methods used and you can't at times just use the percent off number and expect that as you actual savings.

Larry

We always take food in the parks. Disney allows a soft sided cooler, so we pack sandwiches and drinks. This gets us through most of the day. We usually end up buying one meal and a snack (got to have my Mickey Head ice cream!)

We always take food in the parks. Disney allows a soft sided cooler, so we pack sandwiches and drinks. This gets us through most of the day.

Along these lines, pack frozen water bottles in the cooler. Eliminates the need for an ice pack and by the time you're ready to eat you have nice, ice cold water. You can probably refill it a few times before the ice completely melts too.

This also works with any non-carbonated sports or juice drinks. :thumbsup2

I had been hoping that Disney would extend their military $99 5 day tix for next year. Well, they did, sort of. It is now 4 day tix for $99. $25 to add the water parks and more. http://www.shadesofgreen.org/4DAY.htm

Not sure if it is worth it to me now. We need 5 days minimum. I wish you could add an extra day for $25. Hmmm, I need to recrunch my numbers and think this through.

On the food note, we usually bring drink packets in and just order ice water and add the drink mix to it. Healthier than soda and you save over $2 per person per meal. With 6 of us, that is $24 per day!!

We like to go to Pecos Bill in the Magic Kingdom. We order one meal, the chicken wrap. It comes with fries and a drink. DH and I take our plate to the condiment bar and pile on the mushrooms, a few tomatoes, etc. It is more than enough food for two people. We split that HUGE chicken wrap, share the fries, I eat most of the mushrooms, and DH loves to eat a tomato and onion salad. I think it comes out to about $8.00 for the two of us to eat there.

I had been hoping that Disney would extend their military $99 5 day tix for next year. Well, they did, sort of. It is now 4 day tix for $99. $25 to add the water parks and more. http://www.shadesofgreen.org/4DAY.htm

Not sure if it is worth it to me now. We need 5 days minimum. I wish you could add an extra day for $25. Hmmm, I need to recrunch my numbers and think this through.

On the food note, we usually bring drink packets in and just order ice water and add the drink mix to it. Healthier than soda and you save over $2 per person per meal. With 6 of us, that is $24 per day!!

Military person does not get a free ticket in 2010. It won't be worth it for us either. Not only do we need 5 days but also a total of 7 tickets.

Military person does not get a free ticket in 2010. It won't be worth it for us either. Not only do we need 5 days but also a total of 7 tickets.

We were a little disappointed when we saw this too. Not sure why there are dates on the deal either instead of just having them available for the entire year. I'm trying to be optimistic and hope that something will come up the second half of the year. I know that I should be appreciative that they are even offering a discount though.

We always take food in the parks. Disney allows a soft sided cooler, so we pack sandwiches and drinks. This gets us through most of the day. We usually end up buying one meal and a snack (got to have my Mickey Head ice cream!)

We did this as well on our last trip for our family of 5. We packed pb&j sandwiches for the kids and water when we went to the parks. I brought my electric egg cooker/boiler so we made egg salad and kept it in the refrigerator in the room. The kids actually liked the egg salad sandwiches for breakfast. We did not eat any TS meals but did eat at least 1 CS meal each day. My husband and I split when possible and the kids actually split as well. If they were still hungry, I would give them a pb&j sandwich. We packed our own snacks as well. I think we spent a total of $550 but that inluded other stuff we bought, not just food.

This trip we are staying at the Fort so it will be easier for us to bring our own foods and plan on eating most of our meals at the motorhome.

I brought along a bunch of things for the kids to give them each day (glow in the dark necklaces, light up whirly things, stuffed animal, t-shirts, etc) instead of buying things in the park.
We also each packed a plastic pencil box (kept things from getting squished) with snacks and drink mixes to take along to the parks each day.
Shared meals and also ordered off the child's menu on several occasions.
We stayed at the POP and got in on a Frig swap which helped out alot.

Cannot wait to use our motorhome this trip.

MMMMMMMMMMM......Mickey Bars...Thanks goodness our new trailer has a full size freezer...Crossing the border back into Canada :rolleyes1 with a freezer full of Mickey Bars is dangerous....but worth the risk..lol...:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter