SCAL help needed

mycutiepatooties

DIS Veteran
I'm fairly new with my SCAL software. I'm trying to cut a SVG file that I imported. It's the 3 ghosts for haunted mansion for the Disneyland swap. I have a cartridge in my cricut, it's ON, the cable is connected to my computer...when I click "cut" it goes through all the normal questions and then it says "cutting complete" but it hasn't done anything. What's up with that? Any ideas for me to try?

Okay, So I was just clicking random things and it will cut if I click on "Break Apart". I'm not sure what this feature does. I've only cut out titles that I type in and never an imported SVG file so far. Can anyone explain what break apart does?

A few cuts aren't being made on the ghosts either. They are critical ones that give the ghosts more detail (faces etc.). Is there something else I need to do?

The break apart is used when you have one image that has many parts you want a different color. It will take the one image and turn into the smaller pieces that make up the sum. You can then move those pieces around on the "mat" so you can put the different colored paper on the real mat in those areas. Kinda like a quilt.

I'm not sure why some will cut and some won't. That seems really strange. The only image I've cut is the Mike from Monster's Inc. And he was already in pieces for me.

Can you email me the file and I'll see what I can do here with it? I won't use it for anything, so it won't be giving a paid for file out for free. I will delete it after I try to help you.

I need to run out shopping right now. Be back shortly if you still need help.

If you want, send it to me if AWM can't figure it out, and I'll break it apart in Photoshop for you.

It is currently cutting okay on my machine.

Did you turn on your cricut before or after you plugged in the usb cable?

Oo, it's not just a clipart picture turned into an SVG in Inkscape. Okay!

I should go look at those instead of making my own every time..

I broke it apart. But once I moved the body of the first ghost, the face stayed behind. The way they overlap some on the mat, I can't make each ghost a stand alone figure. Some parts of the other ghosts get stuck in the "box".

But it did all cut out leaving it alone and just changing the size with the proportion box checked.

Did you get it work yet? If not, I can cut it here if you want.

How did I miss those? I check her blog regulary. thanks jennifer

I didn't get it to work yet. I only tried once more this morning since I'm cranking through paper like crazy on this one I figured I'd lay off it until I heard back from you AWM. Is there a certain thing I need to plug in and power up first? Maybe that's my problem. Wonder why it won't cut the beard area and bow tie/shirt area but it cuts the rest though? On my cutting mat I left it alone just as it's laid out when it's imported with the detailed one at the top and the base underneath it. I just clicked on keep proportions and sized it down smaller and moved the whole thing over some on the cutting mat. I finally figured out to click the break apart (even though i had no idea why) and it would cut. Are you clicking anything else Ann? I can try it some tomorrow evening but I have baskets to get ready tonight and lots of eggs to take care of. Thank you to Ann and everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

:confused3 I really don't think I did anything special to it.

I used my laptop at the table. Opened SCAL2, imported the svg file, clicked "Keep Proportion", changed the dimensions using the numbers until it fit on the screen. W: 7.86 H:11.34 and used the arrow to move it a smidge to get it inside the dotted line.

Then I moved the laptop over to the cricut. Plugged in the USB cable and then turned on the cricut. Load the paper. Clicked cut design, clicked the OK and now it is cutting.

Can you take a picture of what IS cutting?

Here is what is on my mat
102_4940.jpg

close up of detail cutting
102_4941.jpg

You can see the thumb in the left corner. I don't think there is anything on my screen that is not on my mat. Is there?

:confused3 I really don't think I did anything special to it.

I used my laptop at the table. Opened SCAL2, imported the svg file, clicked "Keep Proportion", changed the dimensions using the numbers until it fit on the screen. W: 7.86 H:11.34 and used the arrow to move it a smidge to get it inside the dotted line.

Then I moved the laptop over to the cricut. Plugged in the USB cable and then turned on the cricut. Load the paper. Clicked cut design, clicked the OK and now it is cutting.

Can you take a picture of what IS cutting?

Here is what is on my mat
102_4940.jpg

close up of detail cutting
102_4941.jpg

You can see the thumb in the left corner. I don't think there is anything on my screen that is not on my mat. Is there?

Ann,

Your set up of SCAL2 sounds like exactly what I did except my height and width were smaller. I just gave up on it...really it wasn't worth the stupid stress! I have a zillion bushes/flowers we bought at the garden center in my backyard waiting to go in the ground tomorrow and I just don't have the time to fight with this any longer. I couldn't get those important areas inside to cut. It looked dumb with the shorty guy having no beard! That is what gives him a "face". So I finished my group up tonight and just bagged and labeled everything to get it ready for the P.O. in the day or so. THANK YOU for helping me along Ann! Even though I never "got it to work" I so so SO appreciated the second set of eyes and advice. You are the best!:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter