Scrapbookers! Magazines?

Hi Becky :wave: Welcome to the DIS and thanks for posting. Are you a Disney nut? Do join in with our other threads now you have taken the plunge!

Hi Fiona et al

Right I've now decided it's to be a 12" x 12" post bound scrapbook what do I need to buy to get me started. Help I feel another expensive hobby coming on :D

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

I know what you mean Fiona about fitting everything onto A4 pages but I've sort of already committed to using this size (all my supplies are for A4) and have now got pretty adapt at it

:)

Yes Deb I'm also a Disney Nut, along with scrapbooking and my insane hobby of collecting TY beanie bears.

I got hooked on Florida about 10 years ago, when I first went there on honeymoon.

My next trip is in 50 days and counting.

Becky

1993 - Days Inn nr Orlando Airport
1995 - Gateway Inn I Drive (now travelodge)
1996 - Day Inn Maingate
1997 - Wilson World Maingate (now Amerihoist Resort)
1999 - Masters Inn Kissimmee
2001 - Omni Rosen (in a suite paid for by Mum & Dad !!)
2002 - Travelodge I Drive (back on a budget!!)

:)

I'm with Fiona - I like 12x12 - it still hard to fit everything on the page with 12x12, so much smaller would be too hard for me!

I would start with an album (and take a deep breath before you look at the prices) - or you could just buy some card and buy the album later if you are unsure.

Cardstock - this is the 'pages' of the album if you get a toploading one (basically a top loading album consists of plastic page protectors, and you work on card and put the finished page into the page protector. You also use the cardstock for decorative elements - matting pictures, cutting out titles etc.

Glue - this is really important, you need to buy Acid-Free Glue - if you've ever put sellotape on a photo and come back to it many years later, you will have seen that it discolors the photo - acid free glue is safe. You can get lots of kinds of glue, some in a pen (Sailor Glue), some in a roller (I like Hermafix) or you can use photo splits - like squares of double sided sticky tape - you can get this in WHSmiths, or in a convenient dispenser from a scrapbooking store. I mainly use Hermafix and a Glue pen.

Acid-free pen - You just really need black, although eventually you will want every color under the sun. You can either get one from a scrapbook store, or check in your artstore or hobbycraft for Tombo or Zig pens - the are both safe - so are Zebra gel pens which you can find all over the place.

you also need some scissors - I used nail scissors for ages, but I've bought some better one's recently.

things that are nice to have but not quite essential would include

a paper trimmer
patterned paper
some templates for lettering (or you can print things off the pc)
templates for circles/ovals or a cutting system that can do circles/ovals.
stickers or other decorative accents
an idea book or a few magazines (but there is loads on the internet)

don't buy too much straight away - it's easy to buy a lot of stuff that you don't really need - some of my favorite layouts are just cardstock.

Also - and this is really important - don't start with your wedding pictures - your baby's birth pics, or anything else that is really really important to you. you will find your style over time and chances are you won't like your first page in 6 months - but you need to do that first page to move on. Too many people have started with important pictures and then regretted it.

I have a photo on my digital camera that I took yesterday (at a class) of some example layouts - ideas that are easy to copy and generally look good. When I get home I'll post it somewhere so that you can see it.

Bev

Thanks Bev and a big hello from me too Becky. I thought I'd start with some pictures I've taken in the last three years of the Brownie pack I run: days out, promise ceremonies, pack holiday etc. So any ideas would be great, feel free to PM/email me.

Has anyone bought scrapbooking supplies in Orlando ?

If so, any store names (and addresses if possible) would be much appreciated

Cheers

Becky

I wish I could have my own shop over this way, would anyone visit in Cirencester or Nailsworth?
Me Me! It'd be a lot closer than Artbase! Just down the M5 :)

Becky,

The main store is in downtown Orlando so I didn't get there, called "Memories" or something similar. However, I liked Michaels, which (unlike Hobbycraft) has a big scrapbooking section. Great for stocking up on much cheaper basics, ie I bought packs of 50 A4 (well US A4 is slightly different) cardstock for $2.99, veven the children can use it at that price. Obviously I can only use it for matting and lettering etc (matting is puting a piece of complimentary card behind a picture to "lift" it). Michaels is at the top end of I drive, behind Sweet Tomatoes and at or near Kirkman Rd junction (I think)! Send the others into the bookstore next door, golf shop over the road or Sweet Tomatoes to eat!!

Another easy port of call is WalMart, look in the craft section and they stock some items, what they do have is well priced.

If I mention "scrapping shop" to DH he may have a fit, a girl gotta dream, but I ought to do a bit of market research first!! So I have lovely customers willing to travel from Birmingham already (and Worcester) so that's good!!

there's a store locator here
USA Scrapbooking Stores.

Last year I went to Stamp your Art out, and Michaels. Stamp your Art Out was ok, but this year I am going to try and get to the Making Memories store, or The Scrapbook Headquarters instead. Stamp your Art Out is brilliant if you like Stamps - it has 1000's of Stamps and some scrapbook stuff, I would say about 1/4 of the shop is for scrapbooking.

Bev

Thanks for your information Fiona and Bev.

I think I may need a day away from Disney just to go scrapbooking shopping.

Becky

My DH (Disney Des) e-mailed your thread to me which has got me very excited. I started scrapbooking a few months ago and belive me it is very addictive and quite (alright very) heavy on the bank balance.

I first got into it as I came across a book in the Lakeside branch of ArtBase - Scrapbooking your Disney pictures. (we have to buy anything Disney we see)!!

It cost around £18 (I think)and is brilliant. There are pages and pages of examples of what you can do with your pictures. There are also books which you can buy with disney paper or die cuts (little pre cut pictures) for use on your scrapbook pages.

I have started scrapbooking our trip to DLP in New Year and have totally enjoyed it. I am in no way arty and much of the things on my pages can be shop bought or are photocopied from existing patterns from carrier bags, flyers,cards etc and then just cut out from the colour of paper you want.

Once you start you can't put it down and it has certainly helped my diet!! My dining room has now been totally taken over though with my bits and pieces.

One word of warning - you will never ever throw anything else out again as you may be able to use it on one of your future scrap pages.

I have used the ArtBase website extensively and there is service is excellent - currently waiting for my latest order!!

You may be interested to hear that this weekend (23/24 March 2002) is the first UK Scrapbook show in London. Taking place in Kensington High Street in the Commonwealth Institute. Opens 10am Staturday till 5pm I think. Also open Sunday but I'm not sure of the opening times.

The Show is called Spring into Stamping and I think is mainly for Stamping but also encorporates the Scrapbook element. Anyone new to the 'sport' may find it useful to go along and have a gander.

Hope this is of some help. Please put me (or DH) down for your Disney Scrapbook group.

Julie

Thanks for that info Julie - I happen to be going to Kensington, London on Saturday so if I get a chance will take a look :)

I can quite believe how addictive it is - and I haven't even started yet! LOL - I am just trying to gather info, and research the subject and am overwhelmed by the amount of interest here on the UK Dis about it :)

I think everyone better look out for lots of enquiries for help with Scrapbooking :) :)

Janice

I spoke to Caroline from Artbase this morning (checking on another order - this hobby will have me re-mortgaging my house before long!!) and she informs me they have a stall at the Scrapbook show that has been mentioned.

This will give you an opportunity to view some of their products and see how nice they are to deal with.:)

Becky

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter