Sea Shells on Beaches

canadadisney

Mouseketeer
We are going to SD Oct 9-12 and staying at a condo on Mission Beach. It is my DD dream to collect shells one day. Being from the prairies of Canada, I have no idea where to go. I've heard to go when the tide goes out. When is that? When is the best time? Where is a good beach to look. A couple of years ago we stopped at San Clemente to look for shells and no luck. TIA

Unfortunately, Southern California is not known for a variety of shells. Mostly what you find is clam shells and mussel shells. You can also find other small ones, but they are not the really nice ones you might find in Florida, for instance. The summer before last we went to Coronado, near the hotel there and I found lots of sand dollars at low tide. Any of the shops along the boardwalk may have a tide table. The newspaper will also have them, usually in the sports page somewhere.

Hi!

The beaches in Southern California have been picked clean of any interesting shells, if indeed, we ever had them.

Be cautious about picking up items at low tide, the tide pools are protected areas, and need to be respected so they will continue to be there for future generations.

There are nice tide pools, although small, at a very family oriented beach in Corona del Mar--Little Corona Beach.

I don't know how young your daughter is, or whether this is a scientific exploration or a 'magical' experience. If it is the latter, and she is sufficiently young, you might buy a packet of shells from a shell shop, Balboa Island has one, and 'seed' the beach. Hope this helps!!

Cathy

Ebb tide is when the tide is going out. Flood tide is when it's coming in.

But all you really need to do is look at the graphs. When the line is at the bottom of the graph, it's low tide. When it's at the top of the graph, it's high tide.

HTH,
Bob

actually on sea shells at the beach you might want to read the posted signs carefully some of our beachces here that are state run do not allow shells to be taken of the beach!

Ebb tide is when the tide is going out. Flood tide is when it's coming in.

But all you really need to do is look at the graphs. When the line is at the bottom of the graph, it's low tide. When it's at the top of the graph, it's high tide.

HTH,
Bob

Thanks Bob, I've got it all figured out now!!:)

We went to four beaches:
1. Carlsbad State Beach- thought it was beautiful. Found some shells- nothing spectaular
2. Mission Beach- this is where we stayed, very young crowd. Lots of surfer/ partying. Same kind of shells as Carlsbad
3. Children's Beach- seeing the seals that close was AMAZING!!!!
4. Coronado Beach- everyone we talked to said to go here for Sand Dollars but warned us we probably wouldn't find any. We ended up finding 9! My DD said that was the highlight of her trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter