See as much as possible...beach, desert, mountains, SD zoo, DLR, Hollywood

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all ~ We would like to see as much as possible during our California trip. I have lots of questions.

1. Can you recommend a great family pacific ocean beach near Hollywood and one near Anaheim? And beach front hotels too.

2. What is there to do in the California mountains? Nearest to Anaheim. And what is the driving distance from Anaheim?

3. How far is the desert from DLR and what is there to do there?

4. Is there a nice family hotel in Hollywood?

5. Please recommend a nice family hotel near San Diego zoo.

6. Is staying on the Queen Mary for a night worth it?

7. Recommend an off-site DLR hotel.

THANKS! Sandra

I can answer some of your questions...

1. Can you recommend a great family pacific ocean beach near Hollywood and one near Anaheim? And beach front hotels too.

I don't know of one near Hollywood (maybe Santa Monica Beach?). But near Anaheim, there are many we have been to - Huntington Beach (our fave), Newport Beach, and Laguna Beach.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Huntington Beach. Highly recommend this one. We have also been to the Hyatt Newport Beach. Also highly recommend this one.

5. Please recommend a nice family hotel near San Diego zoo.

You may want to try the Bahia or the Catamaran, which are good family hotel options. We've stayed at the Bahia and some friends have stayed at the Catamaran, both of which were just fine.

We enjoy staying in La Jolla at the Hyatt La Jolla. We get a nice $165 rate there. We have stayed there 3x now (going for a 4th time in July). It is not close to SDZ, but close to I-5 so it's easy to get to SDZ and anywhere else (such as Legoland and various beaches) for that matter.

7. Recommend an off-site DLR hotel.

Walking distance hotels: Candy Cane Inn, Hojo Anaheim
Non-walking hotels: Hyatt Orange County, Marriott Anaheim Suites, Crowne Plaza, Doubletree Guest Suites.

We have stayed at the Hyatt 3x before and will be staying at the Marriott Anaheim Suites for the first time in July (got a good $99 AAA rate there). The distance doesn't get to us. We always have a car with us or we take the shuttle. We like being close to the Target (adjacent to the Hyatt and the Marriott Suites) and so many places to eat (Red Robin, Joe's Crab Shack, and Outback).

The rates that we get for those places are oftentimes cheaper than the walking distance hotels. In July, Hojo's is going for over $120 per night and Candy Cane is going for over $130 per night. Our $99 rate (including $11 to park at the DL lot) will still come out cheaper. It's too bad...because we really wanted to try out CCI and Hojo's this trip.

To add, check out the Aquarium of the Pacific since you mentioned you may be in Long Beach staying at the Queen Mary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter