Seeking Info From Those Wiser Than Me

KenHutch

DIS Veteran
Hello to all

I am seeking information on a series of topics that I have little to no data on. Even though we have just finished our 5th trip these are things that I have little to no information on.
My girls have decided that no more 20+ hour drives they want to fly. So any tips on flying and their bus service would be greatly appreciated.
Also after 7 of 9 days being crowd level 8 or 9 they now want to go in late Jan or early Feb. They younger girl will turn 11 on Feb 2 2021 so that's her 1st choice and information on crowds and dates the entire months of Jan,Feb or March would be appreciated.
My daughter brought up the question of annual passes (at least for me). I have no idea on how annual passes effect room cost etc. I mean do I have to get passes for everyone in the room or can I get the pass and use it to reserve and pay for room and get them tickets? Also any ideas and input would be appreciated.
The last question I am working out myself. I am at least researching and pricing the meal plan vs an annual pass and paying OOP for the meals.
Sorry to be so long winded in my requests and I want to thank everyone in advance.

I will take a crack at the AP question:

You only need one person (primary guest) to have an AP to take advantage of the AP room rate BUT, this should not be your primary reason fro getting an AP. The AP rooms are released in limited quantities and for certain date so you might not end up being able to take advantage of the discount.

I have an AP and often find that i can get one of the other promotions offered for the same rate as the AP rate.

Your break even point on an AP over regular tickets is about 9-10 days (depending on how you break it up) If you are planning a long trip or two trips in one year, you should probably all get APs.

I will take a crack at the AP question:

You only need one person (primary guest) to have an AP to take advantage of the AP room rate BUT, this should not be your primary reason fro getting an AP. The AP rooms are released in limited quantities and for certain date so you might not end up being able to take advantage of the discount.

I have an AP and often find that i can get one of the other promotions offered for the same rate as the AP rate.

Your break even point on an AP over regular tickets is about 9-10 days (depending on how you break it up) If you are planning a long trip or two trips in one year, you should probably all get APs.
Thank you its not my primary reason and we stay for 8 to 10 days a trip but several people mentioned getting one because they might be discounts in Jan or Feb. Much thanks

When you do your calculations about the meal plan vs paying OOP, remember that everyone in the room has to be on the same package. There is a way to add the meal plan to a room only reservation if you all have APs.

There are some really good online calculators to help you figure out if the meal plan will save you money over paying OOP.

If you have an AP, you can buy a TIW card for $150 and get dining discounts. I have done the math six ways to Sunday and TIW does not save me money based on my typical trip. But we don't do TS either. We did come out ahead on the trip where we did Hoop De Doo and another buffet in the same year.

I also can eat waaay cheaper than any of the dining plans.

BUT, the trip we had the dining plan, I enjoyed eating high dollar meals and not looking at the bill.

When you do your calculations about the meal plan vs paying OOP, remember that everyone in the room has to be on the same package. There is a way to add the meal plan to a room only reservation if you all have APs.

There are some really good online calculators to help you figure out if the meal plan will save you money over paying OOP.

If you have an AP, you can buy a TIW card for $150 and get dining discounts. I have done the math six ways to Sunday and TIW does not save me money based on my typical trip. But we don't do TS either. We did come out ahead on the trip where we did Hoop De Doo and another buffet in the same year.

I also can eat waaay cheaper than any of the dining plans.

BUT, the trip we had the dining plan, I enjoyed eating high dollar meals and not looking at the bill.
Thank You again this next trip in 2021 I will be bringing a 3 year old grandson (my 1st) and his mother want to do a ton of character meals including a lot of character breakfasts so I am looking hard both ways.

Adding about TIW. Character meals can help tip the scale but just know you must spend approximately $750 in TS meals to break even (give or take) so it's only worth it if you are going to spend more than that. DH and I do character meals cause I'm a sucker for them. Poor guy. LOL But I did the math 2 years in a row and for how we eat and how we vacation (frequent visitors. DVC members. AP holders) I still came out a head on using the discount instead of buying TIW.
Even though you plan on bringing a 3 year old and Mom, too many character meals is exhausting and there are other ways to meet the characters other than the meals. Plus are you sure how your little one will react to the characters? Lots of kids (I find more than not) under 5 are terrified of them. Something to think about with $$.

Adding about TIW. Character meals can help tip the scale but just know you must spend approximately $750 in TS meals to break even (give or take) so it's only worth it if you are going to spend more than that. DH and I do character meals cause I'm a sucker for them. Poor guy. LOL But I did the math 2 years in a row and for how we eat and how we vacation (frequent visitors. DVC members. AP holders) I still came out a head on using the discount instead of buying TIW.
Even though you plan on bringing a 3 year old and Mom, too many character meals is exhausting and there are other ways to meet the characters other than the meals. Plus are you sure how your little one will react to the characters? Lots of kids (I find more than not) under 5 are terrified of them. Something to think about with $$.
Well I just took him for his 1st birthday and I have incredible pictures of him kissing Mickey and hugging Chewbacca but you make a good point I should watch his attitude before the trip to get a feel for what meals to do. Good point thanks

If you fly, the DME bus experience is very simple and enjoyable. The video they play gets old once you've seen it, but overall the trip from the airport on the bus is relaxing and carefree. If you arrive before 10pm and use the yellow luggage tags they send, you can just get off the plane and head straight to the bus. They will pick up your bags and deliver them to your room a few hours later.

Travel in January/Feb is my dream time to go. The crowds are ideal (for Disney) and the temperature is much more tolerable. I enjoy it when it's cool enough to carry a jacket. The first two weeks of December are also pretty decent, crowd-wise. The thanksgiving crowding is over, but most people are at work and school; crowds (and prices) pick back up after the middle of December.

AP can be rewarding if you will travel more than once for at least 4-5 days each. Even if just one of you has the AP to be able to book room discounts, that can make a difference. I just booked a last minute trip to Coronado Springs and saved $40 per night with the passholder offer (vs. the current summer room only offer). It was even cheaper than a travel agent with exclusive group rate discounts. A note: passholder room rates are only released a couple months in advance, so it's not a great way to plan far in advance. If you like to keep/purchase your park photos, the included Memory Maker should be a factor in assessing your AP value. Meal discounts could also be factored in if you eat at a lot of table service restaurants. Merch discounts are a factor for me, as well. Usually I am the only one in my family with the AP because I also travel for runDisney events and take different people with me. Because we planned for extra trips, the kids and I all have AP this time. Hubs can't usually travel during summer months like we can, so he doesn't have one this year.

Just keep in mind Jan is Florida coldest months so pack warm clothes. Mid Jan is also a race weekend so book you rooms right away. Most resorts are already sold out for 2019.

Just keep in mind Jan is Florida coldest months so pack warm clothes. Mid Jan is also a race weekend so book you rooms right away. Most resorts are already sold out for 2019.
Well I pay for everything so it takes awhile to save the case for 2 room for 10 days at Poly so this trip is 2021 but perhaps you can help me a bit more. The god daughter wants to celebrate her birthday there which is in Feb so now I am looking at Jan 31 thru Feb 9 or 10th. How is the weather and crowds then? If you know of course.

The crowds should be a lot better. The weather cold then. We have gone many times in Feb and a lot of times they did not turn off the sprinklers and we woke up to frozen plants and grass. We once had a guy offer to buy my husbands winter coat right off his back it was that cold and he was desperate. So don't expect to go swimming in Jan or Feb.

The crowds should be a lot better. The weather cold then. We have gone many times in Feb and a lot of times they did not turn off the sprinklers and we woke up to frozen plants and grass. We once had a guy offer to buy my husbands winter coat right off his back it was that cold and he was desperate. So don't expect to go swimming in Jan or Feb.
Much thanks for the info, I wondered about the weather because in 2008 we went in March and I saw the check in clerks (all locals) weather heavy winter coats and when we were walking to our rooms 2 girls in bikini's were walking in front of us on their way to the pool. Not having to listen to requests for a water park day might be nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!