September 9, 2018 WBTA - Dover to New York

:welcome: Hello Elizabeth

We too have done several other cruise lines however DCL is our favorite by far. We are traveling adults only on this and the cruise immediately before this one. Our 18th DCL cruise, last 5 are kid-less. Hope your kids love the cruise as much as ours did and still do.

Just got off the Magic as she set sail for Europe, 9 great nights. Adult Cruise Staff lead Matt will be leaving on vacation after getting to Barcelona and will be coming back a week or so before our British Isles cruise which is immediately before the Trans Atlantic. Several of the serving staff and one of our favorite head servers are also on the same rotation so will be back in time for our cruise. The Cruise Directors are now doing a 10 week on 10 week off rotation so it was uncertain who we would have, for the cruises we just got off it was Brent which was strange, we never saw him a single time about the ship, only at the show introductions.

Rapunzel's Royal Table is fabulous, there is entertainment during dinner and it is no where near as loud as Tiana's Place on the Wonder. The décor is beautiful and the cast were perfect, as much as I loved Parrot Cay, this is ok, I can accept it.

Lots of crew from as far back as I can remember and still as nice and engaged as always. Our sever has been on the Magic for 20 years who we first met on our first Mediterranean cruise in 2010, we will be requesting him this September. Our Head Server had been our Assistant Server during her first contract and several of the bar and stateroom staff remembered us from a particular previous cruise we shared with them. Looking forward to September.

Not sure if anyone has a deluxe inside room booked, but there are now three secret porthole rooms available, 5520, 5024 and 6606.

Joining the group! Better late than never ;)
Trying to get caught up on the posts.
We are soo excited. Its our first Transatlantic: me, DH, DS15 and DD12. Our 12 year old is very curious about other kids on the boat.

How did all you golds do Saturday night? I heard Palo brunch was already unavailable.

We were able to grab a brunch for the last sea day... but yup. All the other options were gone. We were a little surprised. I assume it will be full for the Silvers.
Its kind of funny... We just did the West coast Repo from San Diego to Vancouver and had no trouble getting a brunch.. had options in fact and it only had two sea days.

We were able to grab a brunch for the last sea day... but yup. All the other options were gone. We were a little surprised. I assume it will be full for the Silvers.
Its kind of funny... We just did the West coast Repo from San Diego to Vancouver and had no trouble getting a brunch.. had options in fact and it only had two sea days.
There was a tweet from the Disney Cruise Line blog that said online and shoreside reservations said brunch was full but onboard, the Palo manager said they had so many openings they stopped counting. The blog guy is pretty reputable. DCL seems to be trying a new thing with pre-booking. I don't like it.

I can see setting aside some reservations for cruisers who aren’t computer savvy or who change their minds about going, but what you are describing, Amunet, seems not right. We decided not to eat at Palo this time around as we love the main restaurants so I wasn’t caught up in the booking panic. But I know what it feels like!!! Hopefully people can go onto the web site later and find openings!

I am flying in a couple of days early (due to flight availability and I booked late) and staying out at Heathrow Airport for 3 nights (2 full days). Will rest one day and head into London on the Saturday using the Underground. The hotel is the Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport and it's about $100 a night in case there are other cruisers out there who are . . . um. . "thrifty"! There is a free bus back to Heathrow where I have been told I can get a transfer. Thought about taking the train to Dover but as has been mentioned, you then have to take a taxi to the Port.

As you can see, I am new to this board. Wanted to thank Amunet for helping me find this thread! I will be cruising by myself and "OGT" because it saved me $1000. Yes, I am a "thrifty" cruiser! Haven't gotten my cabin number yet. Hope to get it at least a few days before but . .

A couple of questions:

1. Do they still hand out free landyards? (I am Gold)
2. The gift . . it's that backpack thing? I have gotten some NICE stuff but I think I'll leave the backpack.
3. Do they sell bags of Mickey Pretzels on the ship?
4. I think the Library is a thing of the past. It was deep in the ship, no windows, and had puzzles and books and nice big chairs for reading.
5. Any good places to just sit and read a book? Doesn't have to be totally silent but 'calm' would be nice.
6. I will probably skip the sit down dinners except for the first night. Even while cruising with family we always felt it just took TOO long. Thinking I'll just have a sit down dinner at Cabanas? They used to have a few choices from the main dining rooms, and a little salad bar. Is this still the way it is?
7. Do you still get Navigators in your room or are they online now?
8. Any experience with wifi on a TransAtlantic? I want to semi unplug but would also like to touch base with family once a day? Price? What package do most people go with?
9. OH! Do you still have to wear your life jacket/straight jacket to the muster thing? I guess it won't be too bad in England in September. It was SO hot doing it in FL

Thanks much! Glad this thread exists and again, thanks to Amunet for pointing me in the right direction . . .

1. yes you still get a gold lanyard
2. in May it was the sling pack (back pack type thing) with luggage tags
3. yes, the mini pretzel bag is in the gift shop
4. you can go up to McGills
5. deck 4 padded loungers are always nice, or outside Cove Café
6. we have not done supper at Cabanas since they no longer offered buffet
7. after first day, the navigator is the single activity schedule page and is placed in your room each night.
8. wifi is ok, not at the level of "good", be sure to sign up for the 50 free mb before midnight the first day and with this long a cruise we will probably get the 100 mb package after that
9. no, you do not bring the life jacket to assembly drill.

Welcome aboard and where in the South are you from ?

1.Great, one more thing I don't have to buy - a landyard! Thanks!
2. My favorite was a blanket with a map of 'special ports' - might have been the first stop in San Juan?? I'll have to find it. I still use it!
3. YES! YES! YES! If i was flying out of Orlando I know they used to have them in the Disney store at the airport. They are so wonderfully crunchy!
4. McGills???
5. Yes, thought about Deck 4. Saw a video of the Cove Cafe and looks like a lot of towels saving lounges?
6. No buffet at Cabanas at dinner or at all?
7. Got it, thanks!
8. Hope I remember to sign up for the 50 FREE mb - good to know. Probably not enough for 11 days.
9. Awesome . . orange is NOT (nor has it ever been) my color . . .

Thanks for the Welcome and the answers to all my burning questions! I live in Franklin TN, a little ways south of Nashville. A bit landlocked for my taste. Nearest ocean is 7 hours south in Gulfport MS and whenever I get close to the coast (like Boston or Weymouth) I order fish!

Not a great place for a last minute decision to cruise. We did just get our first non stop flight to Europe (Nashville to London) on British Air but it's expensive so I haven't tried it yet. Usually catch Southwest to a gateway city. Are YOU in Ireland?

Lots of Irish in my family but I did the Ancestry DNA test and I have no Irish blood. Bummer.

MY husband, daughter and I will be on this cruise. Anyone know how many formal, semi formal nights on this cruise?

One formal, one semi, one eye patch!

1. Casual
2. Formal
3. Casual
4. Casual
5. Casual
6. Pirate
7. Casual
8. Casual
9. Semi Formal
10. Casual
11. Casual

1.Great, one more thing I don't have to buy - a landyard! Thanks!
2. My favorite was a blanket with a map of 'special ports' - might have been the first stop in San Juan?? I'll have to find it. I still use it!
3. YES! YES! YES! If i was flying out of Orlando I know they used to have them in the Disney store at the airport. They are so wonderfully crunchy!
4. McGills???
5. Yes, thought about Deck 4. Saw a video of the Cove Cafe and looks like a lot of towels saving lounges?
6. No buffet at Cabanas at dinner or at all?
7. Got it, thanks!
8. Hope I remember to sign up for the 50 FREE mb - good to know. Probably not enough for 11 days.
9. Awesome . . orange is NOT (nor has it ever been) my color . . .

Thanks for the Welcome and the answers to all my burning questions! I live in Franklin TN, a little ways south of Nashville. A bit landlocked for my taste. Nearest ocean is 7 hours south in Gulfport MS and whenever I get close to the coast (like Boston or Weymouth) I order fish!

Not a great place for a last minute decision to cruise. We did just get our first non stop flight to Europe (Nashville to London) on British Air but it's expensive so I haven't tried it yet. Usually catch Southwest to a gateway city. Are YOU in Ireland?

Lots of Irish in my family but I did the Ancestry DNA test and I have no Irish blood. Bummer.

I wax wondering about that McGills too. Oh, I bet she means O'Gills. The Cove Cafe had sube reading material.
Cabanas is sit down, table service, for dinner.
I second deck 4 chairs for reading. Best spot ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!