September 9, 2018 WBTA - Dover to New York

Sorry, that is correct O'Gills which used to be Diversions which used to be something and was originally Barrel of Fun. Cabanas now is sit down dinner only, buffet at breakfast and lunch. Cove Café is behind to the side of the pool so no towel over lounge chairs. They have stuffed chairs and benches alongside the café and seats inside as well.

I had an office in Franklin several years ago, long before it built up to what it is today. It was a converted house just a couple buildings off the square. Orange should by your color being from TN, I got my medical training at UT Memphis. Can't say I cared much for the Memphis area but certainly love the Nashville area and Smokey Mountains.

Wow, Barrel of Fun. Now you're dating yourself. We were on the fifth sailing of the Magic. I miss the improv.

I can see setting aside some reservations for cruisers who aren’t computer savvy or who change their minds about going, but what you are describing, Amunet, seems not right. We decided not to eat at Palo this time around as we love the main restaurants so I wasn’t caught up in the booking panic. But I know what it feels like!!! Hopefully people can go onto the web site later and find openings!

I checked online at 12:04am on June 11 for brunch @ Palo and there were no spots available....:mad:
I hope there will be a cancellation....

I hope you can book something when you get onboard, if not before. Usually there is something available!

Checked out O'Gills. Looks cozy but the food cost money so I'll probably forage the free offerings!

I am hoping to load up on some magazines to bring . . will drop them off in the Cove Cafe after I read them. We should really start a book club with say, 4 people, bringing a book and we pass them around? Depends on how fast of a reader one is. I try to read two at a time. One semi serious, usually non-fiction. And the other one just a good quick story.

Is Deck 4 the one that if you wanted to do laps (and I mean slow laps, just walking) you'd go there?

Looks like there is a Tesco in Weymouth (Portland) for extra snacks or soda to bring back to the ship. Not sure how long I'll have to shop in London. I love English chocolate.

Just noticed that pre-cruise is 4 nights for me - a night at Newark Airport and 3 nights at a Heathrow hotel. One day on the plane, two in London . . and AFTER the cruise, from the time I get kicked off the ship to the time I am back in Nashville is about 6 hours. Always a let down!

Yes, deck 4 is the walk / jog deck, 3 laps equal 1 mile. In the evening O'Gills sets out apps, usually vegies , chips and salsa and wings, help yourself. There are some magazines in the Cove and snacks there as well. They are now in a case you just ask the staff to give you what looks good, no charge on these. We expect to catch several of the late night Funnel Vision movies, the more sea days the better the offerings.

:(no mixology, no tastings, no brunch:(. Guess I will have to just relax and sleep late!

Me and my wife are on this cruise......we just got back this week from our first trip to London, and Paris. We flew in to London (Stansted) on Primera Air, and took the Eurostar to Paris after 3 nights in London. We went to Burough Market, which had some very good food. (Bread Ahead custard doughnut was incredible) We toured the Tower of London which was very interesting. St. Paul's cathedral was the most impressive church I have ever visited. If you go to St. Paul's, walk right across the street (East) to the One New Change building. You can go to the top floor, to their FREE observation area overlooking the church. Great view! On Friday, we went to the changing of the guards at St. James Palace. This is a small ceremony that started at 10:35, and only lasted about 15 minutes, and then they march over to the mall, and down toward Buckingham Palace. We left as soon as the ceremony was over at St. James Palace, and walked around the corner and took the bus to the Portobello Road market. (had to change buses 1 time) We started at the southern end of the market and walked to the northern end. Wife loved Portobello Road. We also went to the Apsley House, which was the home of the First Duke of Wellington (the Iron Duke). It was full of paintings, and the oldest grand piano in Britain.
One afternoon we went to Leicester Square, to the TKTS booth, and bought tickets to Wicked for later that evening. (27£ per ticket, lower area, near the center) Show was great. Highly recommended.
We bought an Oyster card when we arrived, and loaded 10£ on the card. Before we left on the Eurostar to Paris, I inserted the card in the machine, and got back my 5£ deposit for the card, and the leftover money on the card. Very easy, and using the tube was very easy. A big money saver that people should take advantage of is the 2for1 offers for using the trains. We used this for the Tower of London, Apsley House and St. Paul's. I had printed the vouchers before I left home, and I showed them my train tickets, and got buy one, get one free. Looking forward to going back in September, and touring Westminster Abbey and the British Museum.....jonathan

I am seeing a few slots for Palo DINNER but, you're right, Brunch seems to be sold out.

Thanks for the London tips, BigJon! Sounds like you packed a lot in your visit!

Is anyone else catching the DCL transfer from London Heathrow? Have been told it leaves from the Arrivals Hall in Terminal 3 and to be there by 11am but wasn't sure how EARLY we could get there? Wonder if there is more than one shuttle???

We are taking a car service the day before and spending the night in Dover before our British Isles Tour, will be using our 2 foot shuttle from deck 2 to disembark and reboard, will be thinking obout you poor souls on that long bus ride and happy we arrived at the port along with the ship.:woohoo:

Gosh, Irish Eye! No need to feel sorry for me! I certainly don't consider a ride through the English countryside on a Sunday morning to be something resembling a "poor soul" thing to do.

Were you being serious?

No, just wanted to gloat that we are doing B2B. The trip from airport to port was not bad at all, the bus even stopped at a waypoint which had a nice convince shop which offered last chance to pick up anything we forgot. Our last trip was a comfortable motor coach and we zipped around all the traffic waiting to enter the port.

yes, port to Newark Airport, flight is from Newark back home and very very cheap (points). we don't do uber or lyft, have a thing about non licensed services, like knowing the drivers and vehicle passed city requirements. don't mean to start a fire storm of people telling me how much better, this is a personal thing to us.
The train from Penn Station is the way to go. Then on the Newark side, there is a train right to the airport.

Has anyone else cheapened out and booked National Express like we have from London? Lucked onto a direct bus for the 5 of us for less than the price of 1 train fare. Figure by the time we get ourselves to St Pancras to get the train to Dover that a direct bus would get us there in about the same time.

Any suggestions on what to do in London on Saturday before cruise?? Buckingham palace, and British museum Friday. Get in Thursday so I wander a bit then
do TEA at my hotel then pass-out!! LOL but Saturday is free so I need any suggestions you may have.

Hi! Decided to unlurk and make an account. Starting to get excited about the cruise! My 4th Disney cruise (2nd westbound transatlantic) with DH and 2 kids (9 & 5). Will be ending a 2.5 months long travel with this cruise so pretty stoked about it.

Someone mentioned Uber & Lyft in NYC in the above comments. Uber & Lyft drivers in NYC are actually required to have TLC licenses so just some FYI.

I have yet to book my transportation in London to Dover (not staying at a Disney recommended hotel) so will look into calling Disney about it.

Anyhow, Hi!! :ccat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter