September Hurricanes???

amykathleen2005

Wishing....
Planning a mid September trip. Is a hurricane a sure thing? I know last year was crazy but in general is it a bad idea?

We`ve always gone during hurricane season for the past 20 yrs and have never had any problems. Of course I probably just jinxed us.

well, I think Disney has closed like 4 times due to a hurricane, so the chance is very low, also when a hurricane is around Disney get Dead and you can get a lot done in so little time.

September is part of peak hurricane season. It's a risk you take when booking then. This is why there is travel insurance.

No- hurricanes are a not sure thing thing. I would not let it stop me from my planning a trip during this time. Just be prepared for a change of plans if need be - get travel insurance if it makes you feel better.

I've lived here 22 years and have seen 4 so law of averages is very low. Hurricane season is from June 1st until Nov 30th. So anytime during that period you could encounter a hurricane. Last week of Aug to the 3rd week of Sept is peak season. I'd buy trip insurance if you are nervous.
It is also rainy season so you should expect rain everyday regardless of a storm.

We go every year either the second or third week of September during the middle of peak Hurricane season. It has never once been a "Problem." Last year, stayed at POFQ when Irma passed over and never once felt scared or nervous. Disney did an AMAZING job of keeping everyone safe, entertained, fed and informed. Both my wife and I agreed that last year, hurricane and all, was our best ever trip to WDW. After experiencing that last year, i would never hesitate to schedule during September....

September is also known for being very humid and lots of chances of thunderstorms! We've gone 5 different years in September for the Food and Wine Festival. We're done going in September! It was so hot and humid that we had salt marks on our clothes the last time! Crazy hot! When we wanted to go back to the resorts in the afternoons, we were turned away because there were lightening strikes within 5 ? miles( I can't remember the exact distance that Disney determines to be dangerous). During a week, we were only able to use the pool 2 days! Be prepared for a hot time, even if there aren't hurricanes.

We were there last year during hurricane Irma. As mentioned above, a hurricane is not a sure thing but it is hurricane season and the weather patterns have been a little crazy lately. Bottom line is you really never know what is going to happen in Sept in Florida.

Last edited:
I've been in September before and it rained ( a lot ) that trip but nothing like a hurricane. We went in October one year and there was one that went through the Space Coast. Nothing is a sure thing but hurricane's don't hit EVERY September.

We are going September this year for 10 days.. I tend not to worry about things I can't control and that was the time of the year that worked well for us.. it is what It is.. and after seeing what happened last year with Irma I we did not hesitate to book in September

Planning a mid September trip. Is a hurricane a sure thing?
Not even close to a sure thing.

I've done four September trips since 2007 (fifth scheduled this year) and one hurricane. I looked up the stats and Irma was the only one to hit WDW in those ten years. In the last 20 years there have been three Hurricanes near Florida in September. Jeanne in 2004 affected WDW a little. Ivan didn't get close enough.

We were at WDW for Irma. We had driven there from New Orleans and felt that if we left we could easily drive into worse conditions. Katrina actually hit Florida days before it devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

We felt that WDW was the safest place that we could be. And it was.

We felt that WDW was the safest place that we could be. And it was.

You do know how many locals go to disney when a harrican comes I am simi local. ( like just under 4 hours from Disney) andI have thought about getting a room there when a hurrican comes I mean they realy do not lose power and if they do it is up and runing very fast, hotel are safe and there are just a number of things.

You do know how many locals go to disney when a harrican comes I am simi local. ( like just under 4 hours from Disney) andI have thought about getting a room there when a hurrican comes I mean they realy do not lose power and if they do it is up and runing very fast, hotel are safe and there are just a number of things.
That's what I told my husband. That we would have a backup safety net being on Disney property that would not exist at home. Having been thru Katrina I realize how critical it is to have access to things like water and food.

I was there for Irma. I shouldn't have let the fear mongering get to me, it was an incredible experience and I think we will be spoiled on WDW now because we waited in line at Starbucks longer than at any ride. Walked into every sit down restaurant we wanted. Parks were so empty in the evenings one night I got worried that we somehow stayed past close. We stayed in all star movies and the hotel was so solid I slept through the whole damn thing which I'm still disappointed about (and I'm a light sleeper.)

They closed the parks early and for a whole day the next day, and water rides like jungle cruise took a while longer to clear of debris. The railroad was down as well. But other than that, all rides were up and running and you would never have known a hurricane passed through. We extended our trip by a few days to make up for it, and they were happy to give us the same room at the rates we booked at, as well as upgrading our tickets to park hopper at a discount.

The airline was happy to bump our flight back for a few days to accommodate all the people who wanted to leave but had their flights cancelled.

Long story short, I wish I could predict hurricanes so I could go there on purpose. Trip insurance is not a bad idea however if you have a much more rigid schedule and can't accommodate a few extra days on your trip.

I will say I felt absolutely awful for the locals, which I hope goes without saying. This is all coming from the perspective of someone with nothing to lose in a hurricane.

I've been thru multiple hurricanes over the past 50+ years - starting with Betsy in 1965. Most were in New Orleans but one in Houston. No one can predict the outcome. But Orlando is not on the coast. There may be some disruptions - but not the utter devastation that the coastal areas experience.

I was there for Irma. I shouldn't have let the fear mongering get to me, it was an incredible experience and I think we will be spoiled on WDW now because we waited in line at Starbucks longer than at any ride. Walked into every sit down restaurant we wanted. Parks were so empty in the evenings one night I got worried that we somehow stayed past close. We stayed in all star movies and the hotel was so solid I slept through the whole damn thing which I'm still disappointed about (and I'm a light sleeper.)

They closed the parks early and for a whole day the next day, and water rides like jungle cruise took a while longer to clear of debris. The railroad was down as well. But other than that, all rides were up and running and you would never have known a hurricane passed through. We extended our trip by a few days to make up for it, and they were happy to give us the same room at the rates we booked at, as well as upgrading our tickets to park hopper at a discount.

The airline was happy to bump our flight back for a few days to accommodate all the people who wanted to leave but had their flights cancelled.

Long story short, I wish I could predict hurricanes so I could go there on purpose. Trip insurance is not a bad idea however if you have a much more rigid schedule and can't accommodate a few extra days on your trip.

I will say I felt absolutely awful for the locals, which I hope goes without saying. This is all coming from the perspective of someone with nothing to lose in a hurricane.

I was originally going to leave the day before but then decided to extend my vacation ( I did not want to drive home in that traffic then I found a ride home ( and someone to drive my car for me) what normally take me just under 4 hours took 18 hours ( I kid you not 18 hours) it was one of the worst things I have ever did!!! But yes the park even Thursday was very very very slow the longest wait at the MK was like 30 minutes. I am kind of wishing to be there during a hurricane ( I go every fall) but as a local that has had some damage to my house no electricity for a week ( a few times), I also do not want a hurricane to come either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter