Sewage Spill closes beaches at Ko Olina

That is a bummer - fortunately there is an awesome lazy river, cool pools, two lagoons open and a whole island full of beaches. Although a huge disappointment I hope it doesn't ruin anyone's vacation.

Walk about 15 min towards waikiki on the path. You will be at the two lagoons that are open. Its only a 10 minute walk or so. Very nice day today. Just got back from marriott ko olina. Beach should be open next week Wednesday when we go back to aulani. If anyone wants to meet up for a chat.

That would still be very disappointing if I were a cash guest.
You can generally save a lot on hotels if you are OK with a 10/15 min walk to a beach vs paying a premium to be on the beach.

Poop bay opened at some point today. We spent the day at the North Shore with the 20 foot waves. Thankfully they didn't let us swim there either. Off to Maui in the morning.

Has this ever happened before? Is it a common occurance to have to close the beach?

We are looking at a stay at Aulani next year. We don't own DVC so we will be paying cash and only getting to stay 4 nights. Just want to know if this is a rare thing before I lay down the cash for this. We are big beach people and always pay a premium to stay on a nice beach.

I was talking to a woman who usually stays at the Marriott. She has been coming here for 10 years. The only other time any of the bays closed was because of a massive jelly fish infestation.

The main that burst is up on the road in front of the Marriott. They have not re paved the road as of yet.

Trust me, us CM's are hoping for a beach opening tomorrow as well!! It sucks because the pool deck has been slamming due to the beach closure which makes for some very unhappy guests! Lots of yelling at us but it's not our fault, promise ! :)

Wow.... how rude. I want to say I had some of the best CM's hand down at Aulani. Sorry you've had to encounter rudeness... some people don't take change or being told 'no' very well even if it's for their safety and put out their frustration at the wrong people.

Has this ever happened before? Is it a common occurance to have to close the beach?

We are looking at a stay at Aulani next year. We don't own DVC so we will be paying cash and only getting to stay 4 nights. Just want to know if this is a rare thing before I lay down the cash for this. We are big beach people and always pay a premium to stay on a nice beach.

It's not an everyday occurrence, there was a leak due to a sewage spill from a burst pipe.... we were there last year just about this time and it was amazing. I'd rather the lagoons be closed than risk any sort of illness due to contamination. (Eww)

Poop bay opened at some point today. We spent the day at the North Shore with the 20 foot waves. Thankfully they didn't let us swim there either. Off to Maui in the morning.

So glad to hear it has been opened. I called yesterday afternoon to check, and it was still closed. We arrive Friday, I was getting nervous.

If you have that attitude, how do you ever vacation ANYWHERE? The type of problem that happened at Aulani can and does happen other places too. It's impossible to predict and even more impossible to lay blame on a resort. Things happen...Even at home. It's a bummer, but not much you can do about it. If you aren't worried about getting an infection from the hot tubs and pools at Aulani Like I did, then just go to another beach and enjoy beach time there. All beaches in Hawaii are public, so no problem there. Frankly, I found so many other things to do on the islands, I wouldn't much miss a little beach time. Even with the beach closed, I'm sure the sea turtles will still be in the little bay past Marriott, and there are so many other things to do and see, you won't be lacking for things to do.

Even with the beach closed, I'm sure the sea turtles will still be in the little bay past Marriott, and there are so many other things to do and see, you won't be lacking for things to do.

Is this a common place to find sea turtles? I know my boys would be thrilled to see them. About how far, walking, would this be from Aulani?

Is this a common place to find sea turtles? I know my boys would be thrilled to see them. About how far, walking, would this be from Aulani?

You just follow the walkway past the Marriott timeshare and out onto the shore rocks past the end of the path. There is a small rocky beach area where they tend to be. We also saw a monk seal there one day. It was our favorite trek each morning to go visit the sea turtles. It's a short walk, so maybe 5 minutes of less from the beach entrance of Aulani.

This is the first time in the nearly 7 yrs we've been here that I can recall the Ko'olina Lagoons being closed for this. Closed for jellyfish or sharks, yes, but sewage, no. Luckily the currents are very strong (outside the lagoons) and it does tend to clear out the water fast.

You just follow the walkway past the Marriott timeshare and out onto the shore rocks past the end of the path. There is a small rocky beach area where they tend to be. We also saw a monk seal there one day. It was our favorite trek each morning to go visit the sea turtles. It's a short walk, so maybe 5 minutes of less from the beach entrance of Aulani.

We went out today to try and see some turtles, no luck :(

I remember reading about something like this before the resort opened, and I remember when there was also medical waste washing up on the beach there.
I think it was when the adjacent landfill flooded and washed a lot of garbage and other waste onto the beaches.

It always disgusts me to hear about stuff like this happening on ANY beach! :sad2:

SO much for pristine beaches....anywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter