Sewing ? ... Grain of the Fabric

switch15foot

Mouseketeer
Patterns I'm using has arrows to indicate how to line piece up with the grain of the fabric. Wondering how this effects the pattern and the final piece. I'm using a fabric where the pattern is random and what to chose placement a bit more.

It's for a drappy type of tank top.

I've include a picture of what fabric I'm using.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5037.PNG
    IMG_5037.PNG
    349.6 KB · Views: 8
I have a couple of thoughts. I see that this is a knit fabric. Does it stretch in both directions? If it stretches in one direction you will likely want that stretch to go around your body instead of up and down. Its more comfortable that way. If it stretches in both directions then you can cut it on the grain or across the grain. If you are thinking of cutting it on the bias (on an angle) then the garment might twist rather than hang straight. Cute fabric though! It would make a fun tank for sure.

Thanks for input.

It stretches in both directions.

I was able to make it work (I think). I was trying to make sure Buzz was most often the right way without wasting much fabric so I could use the left over on a pair of shoes. Ended up being able to line up the pattern as they suggested and get good Buzz placement.

Fingers crossed that it turns out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!