Shining, Shimmering Splendid - a PTR - January 2019

TexanInTheMidwest

DIS Veteran
What would a trip to Disney World be without obsessing over the planning of it? Psychologically, speaking, research has shown that you can get as much pleasure out of planning and anticipating something as actually doing it. So, I'll use that as my excuse :earsgirl:.

We'll be visiting WDW beginning January 5th for 5 nights. We're staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time.

We'll begin with the basics: Who are we?

There's Me: A life coach and writer by day. A type-A planner. Empty Nester with two DD who are Flown and Grown.

This is me on a solo day in MK last year. I still love all things Disney and have since watching reruns of Annette, Jimmy Dodd and the gang in the original Mickey Mouse Club. I still think I should have been a Mouseketeer in the NEW Mickey Mouse Club with Julie, Lisa, and the gang ;-)
Disney-Jan-2018-5-768x576.jpg

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Favorite Princess: Mulan. or Belle.
Favorite Character: Classic Mickey. And Pooh.
Favorite Resort: Contemporary (We'll see if the GF converts me this year)

There's DH: A retired Naval Officer (Go Navy! Beat Army!) and is back to working for Uncle Sam as a Civilian.

He will watch the occasional Disney movie with me, but isn't a super fan. What is, though, is a lover for fun and play. He is a delight in the parks and loves the thrill rides.
St.-Croix-Jan-2015-768x576.jpg

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Big Thunder / Tower of Terror
Favorite Obscure Movie: Meet the Robinson's
Favorite Meal from Last Year: Brown Derby Lounge
Favorite Meal/Experience Last Year: Tony's for Lunch while the parade went by

This will be the 2nd year in a row we've gone to Disney World in January. Previous trips were in March 2012 as a couple. And in a previous life (and former marriage when I had small children: 1994 & 2000). and 1980.

My MIL has is a New Year's Eve Baby, so we've begun a tradition of getting together in Fort Meyers Beach area (where 2 of the sisters have condos) to celebrate as an extended family - 3 sisters, the hubbies, sometimes the kiddos and grand-kids... Here we are last year at midnight

HappyNewYear-768x576.jpg

We're driving down from Ohio after Christmas for a little over a week with the whole family. Then, stopping at Disney on our way home. :mickeyjum

Last year, we planned with less than 45 days before our trip. We lucked into a Military Rate at the Contemporary (Theme! Park! View! ) (We slept with the blinds open so I could see The Castle anytime I woke). Our last day, we had breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe and DH said "we are staying here next time!"

When we began planning for the family time in Ft. Myers Beach, after securing our condo for the trip (family is wonderful, but there's something extra nice about having your own space!) DH suggested we do Disney again.

(A reward for spending 9 days with his family?? I'm not complaining!)

So, I called the magic 407W-Disney Number and booked a Theme Park, Outer Building Room at the GF. We book room only as we are eligible for Military Tickets. At the time of booking, Military Discounts are not yet out for 2019. Nor has the Salute been released yet.

What's most important to me is that we're GOING. And for 5 nights! Now that the room is booked, I begin to research and find The DIS Unplugged and Disney Food Blog. I watch way too much YouTube and follow everyone on The DIS on Instagram.

I realize that I have been visiting this site since the 1st time I planned a WDW trip way back in 1994.....

Please, follow along as I share our plans !

Last edited:
180 Days Out - It Must Be Time to Eat!

There are experiences I know we want to have again: Tony's during the parade. California Grill during the Fireworks (but not Sip & Savor like we did last year, that was not a winner for us). And if we skip a park at all this trip, we'll skip Epcot. Last year, we skipped AK.

I begin making reservations, knowing we can change some things around as we get closer to time. I do know from experience that I need to secure some of the Signature dining ASAP.

Arrival Date - Saturday, January 5th

Dinner at Narcoossees (timed so we can see the Fireworks)

Sunday, January 6th - Magic Kingdom Day

Breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe
Late lunch at Tony's Town Square
Dinner at Citricos

Monday, January 7th

Dinner at the California Grill (timed for Fireworks)

Tuesday, January 8th

Lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby

Wednesday, January 9th

NO Early Reservations made. EEK!

Thursday, January 10th - Departure Day

Final breakfast again at Grand Floridian Cafe.

Now, these plans have shifted slightly here and there. But this was what we had going into Fast Pass Day. More later!!

I was overjoyed when Disney released the 2019 Military tickets and room discounts. Thanks to my obsession with following The DIS, Military Disney, and Disney Food Blog, we knew right away. Disney also released the "Gift of Magic" offer on the same day. Though it was hoped for and almost anticipated, it wasn't expected. It was nice to have the confirmation.

First Up: Call that magical 407-W-Disney Phone number.

After some discussions with the fabulous CM, the reservation was modified from a Theme Park View (Outer Building) to Theme Park View, Main Building, Club Level. With the Military discount on the rooms, the overall cost for the trip is a bit of a savings. Not much of a savings, yet DH and I both agree that being able to be in the main building and have access to the club is a good choice for us.

DH travels a fair amount for work. And when there's a concierge lounge, we often utilize it. I have faith after reading all the posts here that it will be a good experience for us.

Within 24-hours of modifying our reservation, we get a call and email from Club Services to outline the ways the Concierge Team can help us plan.

Next up: Ordering our Tickets.

Thank goodness for all the good information online. Last year, we got our tickets at the Shades of Green Ticket Office the day we arrived. I know that we need our tickets before then this time if we hope to get Fast Passes. I also have learned that we need to order from Shades of Green so that the tickets are activated immediately VS just buying them from the ticket office on Base (DH works on a big Base now as a Civilian).

We order the 5 Day Hopper Armed Forces Salute Tickets.

To do this: contact Shades of Green Ticket Office. They will email you a PDF form to fill out. Now, know up front you will need to send all kinds of personal information to SOG to do this (ID number, Date of Retirement, Etc.). After emailing your form back to SOG, they will call to (a) verify the number of tickets and (b) get the credit card info. DO NOT MISS THE CALL or you will be delayed. After processing, SOG will send your ACTIVATED tickets out via Fed Ex. This package must be SIGNED FOR which means you need to be home.

After FedEx arrived, I tried in vain to add the tickets to MDE. I called the handy concierge line and they were able to do it for me.

We are more than 30 days away from our FP+ Window. I am SO grateful we now have tickets.

magic_kingdom_frontgate_march2012-768x576.jpg

I think I mentioned that DH travels quite a bit for work. He has back-to-back trips to San Diego and Honolulu in late October/ early November.

Of note:

I have plans to meet a work colleague in Orange County while we are in California.
Our Fast Pass Day is while we are in Hawaii.

While in San Diego, we have brunch at the Hotel del Coronado (the inspiration for the Grand Floridian!)

LRM_EXPORT_99939559169608_20181029_060027527-768x1365.jpeg

After meeting a colleague for a work consult in Orange County on 10/30, I make a breakfast reservation in Downtown Disney for 10/31. I am meeting my Birth Mother for breakfast and figure Downtown Disney is a nice, happy place to meet. (am adopted, was born in in 1968, found my birth mother last year through DNA. she lives near Anaheim. We met in person last year, this will be the 2nd time we've met face to face).

Downtown Disney is a Godsend.

20181031_071909-e1544307129744-768x1024.jpg

A few moments of embracing the Disney Magic. Breakfast at La Brea. Some window shopping in World of Disney

20181031_084505-e1544307678427-768x1365.jpg

After we both return to the parking lot, I decide to pop back into Downtown Disney for a bit and window shop on my own. The healing power of Disney Magic.

I have an ice cream at Salt & Straw and then finally hit the road back to San Diego.

Up ahead: the Fast Pass Window. Which I am stressing over.

Concierge Services offers a PAID Fast pass - up to 90 days ahead. And I waiver on that but we decide to pass. They also offer to make our FP+s since it will be the middle of the night in Hawaii when our window opens. The CM reminds me that the window opens at 7 AM, but the concierge staff doesn't begin work until 8 AM.....

How will it go????

Our Fast Day Pass Arrives!

The day before, I am going over our plans - which parks we want to do on which days to hopefully avoid crowds (based on crowd calendars) - which rides we really want to do the most - and what we missed last year.

The biggest downside to this, though, is that we are in Hawaii and the Fast Pass Window at 7 AM Eastern is 2 AM in Hawaii.

20181103_064504-e1545590914233.jpg

Trying not to stress/obsess we go out to dinner at Hy's Steak House (what everyone says is the BEST Steak House on the Island) And it was wonderful.

When we went back to the room, DH confessed he had to re-work all of his presentations for the following day. As he worked, I dozed off and on... And at midnight he was still working. He turned the computer off finally around 1 AM and I willed myself to stay awake.

I begin refreshing my MDE app around 1:50 AM. I am under the covers trying to keep the light from the phone from waking him as he needs to get up at 5:30 AM for work...As soon as the window opens, I realize that me, my notes, and my phone under the covers aren't going to work very well. :rotfl2:

So, off to the bathroom. As I go to turn on the lights, I realize that our bathroom has WINDOWS into the bedroom, so I quickly close the blinds, turn out the lights, and get to work on booking things now that I can SEE all my notes .

Saturday, Jan 5: Arrival Day.

We are driving up from Ft. Myers Beach and the family gathering. DH doesn't like to go into the parks until we are unpacked and in our room...
No FP's booked
We may not even go into the parks (though this is the last chance to see Christmas at DHS.) (However, we say it last year...)
We have dinner booked at the Narcoosees and will watch the fireworks from there. And I think we may hop over to Wilderness Lodge to check out their decorations...

Sunday, Jan 6th: Magic Kingdom Day

I book 7DMT 1st and get a 4:25 PM - 5:25 PM FP and then work from there.
10:00 AM - Big Thunder
11:40 AM - Space Mountain

Monday, Jan 7th: Animal Kingdom OR DHS
End up going with AK as I couldn't get Slinky Dog but COULD Get FOP

11:00 AM - Dinosaur
12:05 PM - Expedition Everest
03:05 PM - FOP

Tuesday, Jan 8th: DHS

02:05 PM - Slinky Dog is snagged first and then, like in MK, work my way from there
09:35 PM - Rocking Roller Coaster (last year, we just did single rider line)
10:35 PM - Tower of Terror (last year, we couldn't get this at all and the lines were insane so we missed it)

Wednesday, Jan 9th

So, this is where my exhaustion begin to catch up with me. I can't remember if the ride I REALLY want in Pandora is FOP or Navi River.
We didn't go to Animal Kingdom at all last year. And, in fact, DH has never been. The last time I was there was 2000.

So, I snag

10:05 AM - Navi River
12:15 PM - Dinosaur
2:05 PM - Expedition Everest

By this time, it's about 2:45 AM. And I know that alarm is going off at 5:30 AM. Not only am I awake once the alarm goes off, I have a call with my editor and 2 client calls the next day. So, I go to bed and promise myself to do research in the morning on Navi VS FOP. And see where the gaps are in our plans. Do I need to cancel any ADR's? Make new ones?

And a Few Hours Later...

After the alarm goes off (geeze louise. that was early). I start the coffee while DH gets in the shower.

When we have week-long (or more) trips, we often travel with a coffee pot. Or, like on this trip, buy an inexpensive coffee pot at the grocery store (I bought one for $14 in San Diego) and then get our favorite coffee beans from a local Starbucks. This also allows us to ease into the day with some routine of sorts when we are on the road.

I am DYING to do my research. And as he dresses, I tell him what FP+s I snagged and what I'm thinking as far as fill-ins and such. I pop into the boards and search FOP vs NAVI River and get my answer.

Notice, I didn't book an Epcot Day. Last year, we didn't seem to enjoy Epcot as much as MK or DHS (which I still call MGM Studios in my head). So, had agreed not to do a full day there. However, I suggested we take the Friendship Boat over from DHS to Epcot and do dinner at Epcot (we really enjoyed the food at the Hibachi place) and then Monorail back to the GF on Monday, Jan. 7th.

And our favorite park is still MK (what DH calls "Real Disney" because most of his experiences are Disneyland pre-2000).

I go downstairs with him as he meets his team and they head to work. I walk down to the beach to catch the sunrise... (That's Diamond Head)

20181105_063701-e1545592928950.jpg

My Hawaii routine has been to catch the sunrise and then head to a Starbucks for more coffee and breakfast (their Egg White Bites!). I have about an hour before my first client call, so while I eat, I begin to adjust FP+'s and fill in the rest of our days. It's about 7:30 AM Hawaii Time so about 1:30 Eastern

Wednesday, January 9th
This becomes another MK Day.

I get an 11:10 AM FP for 7DMT and work from there. I rode this last year on my solo day - did it at Rope Drop. But DH didn't get to ride it. So, it's worth a repeat

Adding:

12:40 PM - Big Thunder (DH's favorite)
10:00 AM - Mickey Character Greet at the Town Square Theatre.::MickeyMo
Now, DH isn't too keen about seeing the Characters for Meet & Greets. But it's Mickey's 90th this year. And if we have an early FP, we can go in and out :mickeyjum

My DD (25) couldn't believe I didn't do any characters last year. (Though , I admit, on my solo day, I loved watching Gaston with all the folks)

Now that I feel things are in place, I need to begin filling in. My client calls are looming, so the only thing I do this morning is add a reservation at Teppan Edo for our DHS Day (Tues., Jan 8th). The ONLY available ADR there is for 4:50 PM. I snag it and hope to shift it to a little later....

Though I'd love to keep planning, the real world calls. Clients 1 & 2. And a Skype session with my editor and her team.....

Next UP: Technology Goes Awry....

Oooops. Real life just kept happening and I never got back to update here.

Now, we are HERE.

Checked into the Grand Floridian around 4 this afternoon after spending 9 days with DH's family. At final count, there were 20 of us.

We're in the main building with a view of the Castle from our balcony.

First impressions: the rooms are smaller than the Contemporary. The Castle is closer. And when I stand on my balcony at the right moment, I can experience the boat returning from MK, the Monorail, and look out onto the castle. Pretty Magical.

We are TIRED. And enjoyed the lounge for snacks. Dinner was lackluster (more later on that). But to begin the trip with Fireworks is perfect.

We have a MK Day planned tomorrow!

Sweet Dreams

Too bad your dinner at Narcoosees was not what you had hoped for. Your room in RPC sounds lovely! I hope you have a great day at MK today!

Our trip report is coming very soon. Though, I will be beginning our next Pre-Trip report soon because it's gonna be a doozie.

John-and-Debra-Little-Mermaid-768x1024.jpg

Here we are - at Disney After Hours - at The Little Mermaid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts