Shonda Rhimes left ABC over a Disneyland ticket

The article I read was more along the lines that the Disneyland ticket was the straw that broke the camels back. She was already contemplating leaving.

Same. All she wanted was to get her ticket/pass swapped so that someone else could use it in her place for one time. To make such a big deal over that simple request makes absolutely no sense to me. Good for her for leaving and moving on.

Same. All she wanted was to get her ticket/pass swapped so that someone else could use it in her place for one time. To make such a big deal over that simple request makes absolutely no sense to me. Good for her for leaving and moving on.

Especially when they apparently were going to allow it and then when she arrived the ticket didn’t work. That would’ve irked me too. I agree. Good for her.

Were these annual passes? The linked story explains that she was given “all inclusive passes” for her and her daughter, and “she negotiated a another pass for her nanny”. If they were APs, I’m wondering if she was trying to have her AP reassigned to her sister for that day. If that AP was already activated, I don’t think they can be reassigned (under normal circumstances.) Lots of assumptions on my part here. Just wondering what the specifics were.

And it appears she traded in her $10 million base salary at ABC for a four-year deal with Netflix worth an estimated $150 million. So I guess all’s well that ends well.

At first, I thought, "Sheesh, that seems kind of dumb to walk away from that over a ticket that's probably about $150." But a moment later, I thought, "What do you want to bet that Disney/ABC made similar accommodations all the time for other big Disney/ABC executives, producers, directors, etc.?" And then I also thought, "Good grief, just buy the ticket. You can afford it." And then I caught myself again and thought, "There's probably more to the story here."

At first, I thought, "Sheesh, that seems kind of dumb to walk away from that over a ticket that's probably about $150." But a moment later, I thought, "What do you want to bet that Disney/ABC made similar accommodations all the time for other big Disney/ABC executives, producers, directors, etc.?" And then I also thought, "Good grief, just buy the ticket. You can afford it." And then I caught myself again and thought, "There's probably more to the story here."
She made them millions if not billions of dollars off of her creativity and shows. They shouldn’t have an issue with giving her one more ticket. Greys anatomy alone is on its 17th season still a number one show she created and they’re complaining about giving a measly extra ticket to her.. my friends cousin is a designer for disneyworld and he gets as much tickets as he wants with passes.. why the issue with shonda getting one extra...

I guess I see this different from some of you. She is worth 135 million dollars and couldn't put up less than $200 for a one day pass for her sister. That would have been nothing to her. I really don't think this had to be such a big deal. I'm seeing it though through the eyes of someone who is really tired of entitled rich celebs. Plus I was never a fan of her shows so that doesn't help me to see it differently.

I guess I see this different from some of you. She is worth 135 million dollars and couldn't put up less than $200 for a one day pass for her sister. That would have been nothing to her. I really don't think this had to be such a big deal. I'm seeing it though through the eyes of someone who is really tired of entitled rich celebs. Plus I was never a fan of her shows so that doesn't help me to see it differently.
When you read about all the various issues surrounding her departure (not just the most recent story), I think it’s pretty clear that she felt like she was giving more than she was getting in this employee-employer relationship, and (as other posters have mentioned) this was the “straw that broke the camel’s back.” If they can’t even listen to her/follow through on this, then what does that say about how they view her. I can’t imagine the executive’s quip did anything to smooth over the situation.

You may not like her shows (to be honest, I can’t say I’ve personally watched more than one episode of any of her shows) but our personal tastes don’t minimize that massive profits her projects contributed to ABC/Walt Disney Television. When we’re talking about employees at such high levels (especially at Disney), these types of “perks” are used in negotiation all the time. There are all sorts of special arrangements Disney has with high-level talent, senior executives, big-time investors and sponsors, members of the Board, and the like. I think we as non-company Disney fans forget that the parks are often treated as transactional benefits much like PTO or other employee perks and benefits that, if you’re “in demand” enough by the Company, are negotiable.

I think it’s easy to dismiss it as more “celebrity nonsense,” but the reality is that if your employer promises a certain benefit and then gives you difficulty/push back when you try to collect that benefit, I think anyone (rich celebrity or not) would be frustrated. Imagine if your employer agreed to cover 100% of your health care premiums and then turned around and said “nervemind, don’t you get enough?” Yes, there is of course a difference between healthcare and Disneyland access but if she was already not feeling respected by some of her leadership (which seems to be the cased based on all the previous reporting on this separation), then this incident certainly wouldn’t have done anything to quell those feelings.

I’m amazed that any executive (most of whom at Disney are known for expecting far more than an extra pass) — in the midst of contract negotiations — would respond with a quip like “don’t you get enough.” The arrogance doesn’t necessarily surprise me but the short-sightedness/tone deftness does. I’ll never forget the executive who made all the CMs at a popular attraction stay for an extra two hours after their closing shifts so s/he could ride said attraction with friends, only to never show up or alert management that s/he wasn’t coming. So I’m sorry, one of your top creators for the highest or second highest revenue-generating unit of the Company (depending on the year) wants an extra ticket for Disneyland and that’s a problem all of a sudden? Bull. GR prints comp tickets like there’s no tomorrow, so why now is an issue? One also has to wonder if the response would’ve been different if you replaced her name with, for say, Tony Baxter. Would anyone be complaining about him wanting to ”fulfill” a promised extra Disneyland pass? Good on her for putting her money where her mouth is and leaving.

Last edited:
She made them millions if not billions of dollars off of her creativity and shows. They shouldn’t have an issue with giving her one more ticket. Greys anatomy alone is on its 17th season still a number one show she created and they’re complaining about giving a measly extra ticket to her.. my friends cousin is a designer for disneyworld and he gets as much tickets as he wants with passes.. why the issue with shonda getting one extra...

And they paid her handsomely for it.... they STILL are. It's a two-way street. You make it sound like she got taken advantage of by Disney.

They way I read this was they had given her multiple super deluxe passes already. She kept asking for more. Sounds like the issue was each pass was registered to specific people, and she didn't fully understand this maybe?

Anyway, it sounds like she kept pestering ABC executives for more and more passes and they finally had enough.

Sure, they could just have issued her yet another one. Or, you know, she could have paid $150 one time.

Last edited:
I had the same feelings when I read the article. Getting a little tired of the tone-deafness of celebrities, to be honest. Did she think this anecdote would garner sympathy from the average person? Being entitled to your whole party never having to stand in line because you're an ABC celebrity? How about the average cast member who is working their butt off for Disney and could never dream of having free super passes with no waits in line for their entire family...

At a time when a lot of people are struggling and could never afford to go to Disney, the story rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe if more celebrities had to pay their way into Disney World and for their VIP passes, the buck could be passed on to cast members.

You would be amazed how many people get caught up the excitement of getting something free, even when the amount means nothing to them financially. And how upset people get when something related to that freebie doesn't work out as planned. Personally, I wouldn't let that amount of money stress me, and I'm definitely not worth $140 million. But I'll admit, I've had a moment when I've asked for some consideration based on my financial loyalty to Disney, and they accommodated.

All that being said, I tend to look at who people are through a big picture of their deeds, not individual moments. This lady is obviously a hard worker that has adoption 2 kids whose lives would have been very different without her. If she had a diva moment, I think she definitely earned a free pass on that, no pun intended.

I haven’t bothered to read details on this beyond the headlines, but you can’t bring her net worth up as a reason she should have just paid for a ticket, and completely ignore that Disney is worth much much more than she is and could surely cough up the ticket too.

We all want to feel valued and properly compensated by our employers, whether we’re worth $150, $150k, or $150 million.

I haven’t bothered to read details on this beyond the headlines, but you can’t bring her net worth up as a reason she should have just paid for a ticket, and completely ignore that Disney is worth much much more than she is and could surely cough up the ticket too.

We all want to feel valued and properly compensated by our employers, whether we’re worth $150, $150k, or $150 million.
In my opinion though because of the way I am seeing it her net worth does play a factor. I don't see it as her wanting to be valued. I see it as her making demands outside of the agreement she made with Disney. That is just my opinion though and I'm ok if others see it differently.

I think it’s easy to dismiss it as more “celebrity nonsense,” but the reality is that if your employer promises a certain benefit and then gives you difficulty/push back when you try to collect that benefit, I think anyone (rich celebrity or not) would be frustrated. Imagine if your employer agreed to cover 100% of your health care premiums and then turned around and said “nervemind, don’t you get enough?” Yes, there is of course a difference between healthcare and Disneyland access but if she was already not feeling respected by some of her leadership (which seems to be the cased based on all the previous reporting on this separation), then this incident certainly wouldn’t have done anything to quell those feelings.
I totally agree that if things are agreed upon it the company has a responsibility to honor that. What I read though is that the agreement between her and Disney was a pass for her and her nanny. The sister was not included in the agreement. She then went to them asking for a pass for her sister. That was not part of what she had agreed to so Disney balked at it. It's just a shame things couldn't have been worked out without it even getting to this point.

Cute story but this was not the reason for her move, it was more abut the 150 million dollar deal and more control. Remember she sells drama for a living. What a great way to crystalize her frustration with the ABC/Disney with a simple story about a ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter