Should I get AP?

JakAHearts

Earning My Ears
Is buying annual passes for the family always beneficial if visiting more than once in a year? I have reservations in Aug 2018 for Me, my two children, and my mother. We are going again next Jun 2019 with all of us plus my wife. Im having a hard time figuring out if AP for those of us going twice in the calender year is a good idea. Any thoughts? We always stay at Pop and dont usually do water parks or park hop.

Is buying annual passes for the family always beneficial if visiting more than once in a year? I have reservations in Aug 2018 for Me, my two children, and my mother. We are going again next Jun 2019 with all of us plus my wife. Im having a hard time figuring out if AP for those of us going twice in the calender year is a good idea. Any thoughts? We always stay at Pop and dont usually do water parks or park hop.
How long is each visit. The break-even point is generally considered to be somewhere around 10 days. Although a lot rests on whether you qualify for any kind of discount or special AP (like the Florida seasonal pass or a gold AP, or DVC discount), or if you would normally do park hopping.

For instance, two 5-day adult hoppers would cost around $1,000 while a Platinum AP costs $904. But if you would not normally hop, 2 5-day adult base tickets would cost $842.

The math gets even more complicated if you factor in buying from one of the online ticket sellers.

As a first time Platinum AP holder (just bought our AP's a few days ago), I think the AP is worth it if you are going for a certain number of days. Prior to getting my AP, I went once a year and bought base tickets. However, having the AP has been nice. We are able to hop to different parks and also make dining reservations at park restaurants (I'm looking at you, Epcot) even if we aren't in a specific park on that day.

I also didn't realize how awesome memory maker is. The pictures they take are all high quality and amazing. Beats my Iphone 8 pics any day of the week.

The other thing that should aide you in your decision is whether you do a ton of Disney dining. If you are an AP holder you can purchase the tables in wonderland card. While it's $150 upfront, if you eat at numerous table service and quick service restaurants, the savings add up. You get 20 percent off and the tip is already added in which I LOVE. I broke even on the cost of the card during my short 3 day trip and got to enjoy restaurants such as California Grill and Narcoossee's. Dining is part of our trip so we would have spent the money on these places, anyway.

You also get 20 percent off merchandise which adds up. Not to mention the discounts on the various parties and tours.

The downside to getting an AP is the eye-watering upfront cost! I had to purchase 4 AP's recently and it was difficult to wrap my brain around spending so much money since I tend to be frugal. The other downside is the fact that you'll likely want to "get your money's worth" by planning more trips..lol

But weighing the pros and cons, I think it was the right decision for my family since we have 3 trips (one down) this year and another two planned for next year.

Good luck with your decision.

As a first time Platinum AP holder (just bought our AP's a few days ago), I think the AP is worth it if you are going for a certain number of days. Prior to getting my AP, I went once a year and bought base tickets. However, having the AP has been nice. We are able to hop to different parks and also make dining reservations at park restaurants (I'm looking at you, Epcot) even if we aren't in a specific park on that day.

I also didn't realize how awesome memory maker is. The pictures they take are all high quality and amazing. Beats my Iphone 8 pics any day of the week.

The other thing that should aide you in your decision is whether you do a ton of Disney dining. If you are an AP holder you can purchase the tables in wonderland card. While it's $150 upfront, if you eat at numerous table service and quick service restaurants, the savings add up. You get 20 percent off and the tip is already added in which I LOVE. I broke even on the cost of the card during my short 3 day trip and got to enjoy restaurants such as California Grill and Narcoossee's. Dining is part of our trip so we would have spent the money on these places, anyway.

You also get 20 percent off merchandise which adds up. Not to mention the discounts on the various parties and tours.

The downside to getting an AP is the eye-watering upfront cost! I had to purchase 4 AP's recently and it was difficult to wrap my brain around spending so much money since I tend to be frugal. The other downside is the fact that you'll likely want to "get your money's worth" by planning more trips..lol

But weighing the pros and cons, I think it was the right decision for my family since we have 3 trips (one down) this year and another two planned for next year.

Good luck with your decision.
All of those benefits can be had if only one person in the family has an AP. Not everyone needs one in order to take advantage as long as the AP holder is present. Even MM can be seen and used by anyone with whom you are friends with in MDE.

All of those benefits can be had if only one person in the family has an AP. Not everyone needs one in order to take advantage as long as the AP holder is present. Even MM can be seen and used by anyone with whom you are friends with in MDE.
Yes, but if you are traveling together than an AP makes sense. I always travel with my family so one AP for the 4 of us doesn't make sense.

That depends on whether you a
Yes, but if you are traveling together than an AP makes sense. I always travel with my family so one AP for the 4 of us doesn't make sense.
It all depends on whether you are purchasing the APs to save on park admission or because of the benefits (like MM) which are the same whether one person or all 4 of you have APs.

The benefits are nice but they can (and do) change without notice. So, I wouldn't factor them into an AP purchase when trying to determine their "worth".

ick replies, ya'll! We are doing 4 days this August and probably 6-10 next year. I'm trying to make an educated decision on it and youve been very helpful. Im unable to see the current "resort offers" for AP members. Is this a secret until I sign up or am I missing something?

That depends on whether you a

It all depends on whether you are purchasing the APs to save on park admission or because of the benefits (like MM) which are the same whether one person or all 4 of you have APs.

The benefits are nice but they can (and do) change without notice. So, I wouldn't factor them into an AP purchase when trying to determine their "worth".
My only point was that I needed to purchase 4 AP's since all 4 people in my party would be using them for 20 days in the parks over a one year period. If you are in a situation where not all people in your party will be joining you for every trip, or you have seperate tickets for them, then AP's for everyone in your party is not necessary.

ick replies, ya'll! We are doing 4 days this August and probably 6-10 next year. I'm trying to make an educated decision on it and youve been very helpful. Im unable to see the current "resort offers" for AP members. Is this a secret until I sign up or am I missing something?
Super-duper secret. You gotta know the password!

Actually, you just need to have an AP or an AP voucher attached to your name in your MDE account.

Such an easy question to answer. Take the price of the tickets that you would purchase for both of the trips, add them together, then compare to the price of the annual pass.

If the annual pass is less, and you are 100% sure you are going on both trips, then buy the annual pass.

If the price is close, but the annual pass is more, then look at the cost of the perks the annual pass gets you. Discounts on lodging, dining and souvenirs. Add in free parking and memory maker that the annual pass provides and decide. Keep in mind that only 1 person needs an annual pass to access the perks :)

Just something else to factor in - all APs cost the same regardless of the age of the AP holder while tickets are less expensive for the "under 10" crowd than they are for those who are 10 years of age or older.

Such an easy question to answer. Take the price of the tickets that you would purchase for both of the trips, add them together, then compare to the price of the annual pass.

If the annual pass is less, and you are 100% sure you are going on both trips, then buy the annual pass.

If the price is close, but the annual pass is more, then look at the cost of the perks the annual pass gets you. Discounts on lodging, dining and souvenirs. Add in free parking and memory maker that the annual pass provides and decide. Keep in mind that only 1 person needs an annual pass to access the perks :)

This makes sense but doesnt factor hotel discounts or package offers. Add in tiered pricing and well... I cant keep my kids out of my hair long enough to sort through it.

So.... does anyone with the super secret password want to shoot me a number for Aug 2 check in-7th check out at a few budget and moderate resorts? I'll dance at your wedding, promise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts