Should I give up on getting DR's the last week of December?

momsavealot

DIS Veteran
We booked a trip in October for four days between Christmas and NEW Year's. I knew it would be hard to get dining but figured people might cancel. I've been looking every day and nothing. Wondering if I should give up and just go with counter service. When is the latest I can switch meal plans? and any advice on getting DR's at this point?

Check every day! Try the free Touring plans reservation finder. They have come through for me every time I used them . Sometimes I'm not quick enough to get the ADR, but I just start the search again! Also, you can find a lot the few days before to the day of as people change their plans. Don't give up!!

This weekend, there were still a few restaurants at Disney Springs that accept dining plans and have available tables for 12/31 which is the only date I checked at opentable.com. I would also take a look at Tokyo Dining as there are some tables with great views of the fireworks.

HTH

This weekend, there were still a few restaurants at Disney Springs that accept dining plans and have available tables for 12/31 which is the only date I checked at opentable.com. I would also take a look at Tokyo Dining as there are some tables with great views of the fireworks.

HTH
I hear what you're saying but I'm afraid to leave the parks during this crowded week and not be able to get back in due to crowd closures. Same reason I haven't really looked at hotel restaurants.

Keep looking. As you get closer you may see cancellations. Even when you are there, look the day before, people will be letting ADR's go.

Definitely wouldn't give up - I have helped friends go that week who only started planning in late November, and got them all the meals they wanted. Agree with PP to sign up for Touring Plans reservation finder - it is very helpful. Also watch the thread for Cancelled ADRs for December on here - you can try and coordinate with people who are cancelling. I wouldn't worry too much about parks closing of you are staying on property and using buses. Parks don't usually close to that level, especially on the non holiday dates. In fact, you might enjoy a break from the parks for a meal, like something on the monorail while at MK, or Boardwalk while at Epcot or HS. Don't know if you have a large group, but just plugged in party of 4 for days that week, and there were several times at LTT, 50s PT, Coral Reef, and Via Napoli just as examples - they may be lunch instead of dinner, or early/late dinner, but could grab something for now, and then keep an eye out to modify. Also saw brft at Boma and The Wave. We often like to eat late brft or early dinner anyway then grab quick service later on our own time!

A lot of cancellations happen the day before since that's when people have to cancel by to avoid the 10$/pp fee.

Don't give up. I just scored a CG dinner reservation for 12/30 courtesy of a cancellation from this forum. Doing my happy happy dance.

I had to call today due to a ticket glitch for my daughter. We are dropping a few days due to service man coming home. Today I cancelled.

5 for lunch dec31 lunch bog. 5 the plaza for supper and 2 for 4pm CRT.
Dec 30 I think plaza for 5 for 3:15pm; lunch BOG but single spots.

Forgot. Cancelled at Epcot Minnie's holiday party around 3pm. Dec 30.

We booked a trip in October for four days between Christmas and NEW Year's. I knew it would be hard to get dining but figured people might cancel. I've been looking every day and nothing. Wondering if I should give up and just go with counter service. When is the latest I can switch meal plans? and any advice on getting DR's at this point?

I have a 50's prime time cafe lunch on December 26th for five people, a Be Our Guest dinner for 3 on December 26th at 9:35, a Chef De France dinner on December 31st at 6:50 for 6 people all that I am going to drop but have not got around to it yet if you could use any of these we can coordinate if that would help.

If you are patient... continue checking it a couple of times a day. We are going in January (beginning the 5th) and I have been able to find a California Grill dinner reservation that previously wasn't available. Also, be willing to switch your TIME for a reservation. We enjoyed the Teppan Edo and the only reservation I could find was 4:30 PM. Every couple of days, I'd pop in to try and modify the time and voila - now we have a 6:30 PM.

The concierge cast member I spoke to last night said for both dining and fast passes to begin really checking in earnest 30 days out (when folks have to cancel their hotel reservations if they aren't coming) and then a week out, a lot of folks change their plans. And, of course, daily as you get closer because sometimes, people just cancel a bunch of reservations when they are onsite . Good luck!!!! (and happy Thanksgiving!)

Keep checking as ADRs do become available. Also many people cancel or change a day or two before so that may be a good opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter