Should I jump on this airfare or wait ?

Debby7

DIS Veteran
Have been watching airfare for our July 23 trip since I made ressies with MS in August. Air tran just dropped their fare from $211 to $181. Last year I booked 2 months out and got the same flights for $135. I am tempted to book now and have it done, but will I kick myself later ?

On Feb 1, 2003 a new tax is added on to airfares, I think it is $2.50/segment or $10 per ticket - I can't remember which the Northwest agent told me. Taxes have increased so much on airfare over the past couple years, so keep in mind you may not find fares quite as low as last year. Then again, who knows! You know best what the generally going price is for the airfare during your travel period - if you are within 10-20 of that price, I'd consider it at this point.

Out of Detroit we can find airfare for 130-200 (sometimes less on very off peak, always more) to Orlando by vigilently watching - last week we happened to find airfare for $161.50 for April, which is an incredibly busy time to fly with the various school vacations and Easter.

If you find flight times and dates that work with your schedule, you are flying during a busy travel time, the price is within a range you are comfortable with (we were looking for anything between $150-200 during a busy travel time), then book it and don't look back. Even if it drops $10-$20, the peace of mind you have for booking it and being done with this may be worth your time and worry over catching the deal.

July still gives you time - and you are right, about 2 months out there seems to be a round of pricing to fill the planes. So the question is, do you want to keep on watching the fares, or are you comfortable with the fare? And once you book, don't second guess yourself by continuing to watch the fares - you will drive yourself nuts if by chance one day you see the fare at a lesser price (and that doesn't necessarily mean it's available, depending on your internet search locale).

I'd probably book it too...

I fly out of Boston and it's usually floating around $200. I've paid $192., $215, and then last year by luck, I paid $100!!! My husband wanted me to wait this year in hopes of getting the $100 again but that's just not me! I like to get it over with.

So when our airfare went from $219 to $199, to $209 and then for one day $181, I booked it! It's now been steady at $199.

I'm happy to have it over with. There could be some one day sale but what if there isn't.

I agree with kendall.

I've been checking airfare for our upcoming trip in May since last October, and it's been hovering around $220 from NJ to Orlando. Finally, earlier this month I booked for $171(taxes & fees incl.)
I'm glad I didn't wait and went with the $171, because a couple of days after I booked, the fares started to creep up again to the $200 range.
It's somewhat of a gamble, but I guess the rule of thumb is to jump on a fare that's reasonable to you, and see what happens.

Good Luck :)

Mark P. May I ask which airline and if it was non-stop? I am checking for our up coming NOV trip and would like to have that in mind.

Which airport do you fly out of?

I agree about the taxes. The price for four tickets out of Syracuse was about $680. That ended being $886 after taxes and fees!

April in Disney,
We are flying on Spirit out of Atlantic City, and it is a non-stop flight:)

Thank you Mark P. for the information. We usually fly out of Newark" EWR". If the rate stay as they are I just got to convince DH to look at other airports for better options.

We are flying in July as well, and I booked our flights in October. We have very specific days to fly, and for us, the earlier we book, the better the fare. We have $182 for nonstop direct flights. Last year we paid $167, the year before $172, before that $211, etc. , all within a few dollars more or less.

This year the fares seem to be a bit more than the last several years because of the new taxes and security fees. If you are comfortable with the $181 fare, then book it. I don't think you will see a $135 fare this year for the same flights. If the fare does happen go down, you can always get a voucher to apply to another trip.:):):)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

I know some airlines will compensate in some ways if the price decreases.
For example, last January we flew Midwest Express. (non-stop, great service)
From reading the Dis boards I found out some airlines will give credits if the price lowers and travelers contact them.
I asked ME about this when I booked. I was told that if the price decreased (and I called them) anything under $xx per ticket ($100? don't recall now) would be given as a credit for a future flight. A decrease over $100 would be refunded, but a $100 deduction would be made.
And the price never did decrease that I saw.
But I am not sure if all airlines do this, or if any still are. Might be worth calling the airine and asking. :)
Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter