Should I keep my reservation for June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone needs to look at the facts and make tough decisions, I know Disney is important to people, but your family and health are even more important, you will have plenty of opportunities to visit the World in years to come.

We are in a phase when we still do not really understand the entirety of the virus, we are trying to contain the spread of this evil disease, but that is it. When the numbers infected start to decline, we can not go back to normal life or it will just start again, imagine 50,000 in the MK or any other large scale event, we would be back to lockdown in a matter of weeks.

The only way we can get back to normal life is with a vaccine, and sadly that will not be here until at least the end of the year.

We need to be sensible and look after ourselves and our loved ones.

I think everyone needs to look at the facts and make tough decisions, I know Disney is important to people, but your family and health are even more important, you will have plenty of opportunities to visit the World in years to come.

We are in a phase when we still do not really understand the entirety of the virus, we are trying to contain the spread of this evil disease, but that is it. When the numbers infected start to decline, we can not go back to normal life or it will just start again, imagine 50,000 in the MK or any other large scale event, we would be back to lockdown in a matter of weeks.

The only way we can get back to normal life is with a vaccine, and sadly that will not be here until at least the end of the year.

I agree with you, but these businesses will open well before the end of the year and they'll be pressured to by stock holders and other factors. It's unfortunate, but it is a reality and people will follow.

I am really nervous about our scheduled end of June trip but we will lose out financially if we cancelled at the moment and we could stay safe and cancel anyway but not long after 4 of the 5 of us will more than likely be commuting again for 3 hours a day on public transport and sitting in university lecture halls so it seems like if it is still around we are going to struggle to avoid it entirely and if everything is still closed by then it is hard to imagine what position we will all be in

At this point, I'm still holding my June reservation mostly on the hope that, by then, there will be widespread availability of the antibody test that determines whether you have already been exposed and are now immune (assuming that people can develop immunity to this virus in this way, which is still not known for sure). It is possible that a great many of us have already been exposed---or will be exposed in the coming weeks, despite our best efforts---and will be lucky enough to be asymptomatic, or to have had only very minor symptoms. If it ends up being the case that exposure has already been extremely broad (some experts suspect it, most are skeptical), then perhaps my family is already immune (or will be by June). And perhaps many CMs will be as well. And then maybe Disney World could be safely reopened, and safely attended without fear of either getting sick ourselves, or unwittingly spreading the virus in our communities.

Seems quite unlikely. But you never know!

I read that WDW is not taking reservations until June 1st which implies they expect to be open by then. It does not necessarily mean however they won't be open in May - in fact that may be a way they will try to implement a crowd control strategy as the world will be on edge. This way there's no new visitors outside of those that have already booked May in advance allowing the parks to test the waters and make people feel safer.

I respectfully disagree. This indicates to me that they do not plan to open until at least June 1. If they aren’t accepting new reservations until that date, I can’t imagine them deciding to open at some date in May, welcoming guests when they weren’t able to fill up rooms.

I’m saying this as someone who had a March trip canceled and rescheduled it for May. This isn’t what I’m hoping for, but what seems logical to me. I live in Westchester and we in this area had to come to some startling changes at a quicker pace than other areas of the US.

ETA: I don’t think Disney will open so long as CDC guidelines say they shouldn’t, ie avoid large gatherings, as it would be a very bad look. They got a lot of bad press after those closing night videos/photos came out. I think we’re a long way from the CDC lifting those guidelines.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. This indicates to me that they do not plan to open until at least June 1. If they aren’t accepting new reservations until that date, I can’t imagine them deciding to open at some date in May, welcoming guests when they weren’t able to fill up rooms.

I’m saying this as someone who had a March trip canceled and rescheduled it for May. This isn’t what I’m hoping for, but what seems logical to me. I live in Westchester and we in this area had to come to some startling changes at a quicker pace than other areas of the US.

Hi, I'm giving possibilities, in my reply I only give hypotheticals. If there was a guarantee they would not be open in May I believe something would be said. So until they do, I can't say there's no way they won't be open, which is why I say it does not necessarily mean they won't be open. Based on CMs I've spoken with, their guess is as good as ours.

I live in NYC, worked in a building where the virus was found for two weeks, possibly had the virus myself and have been quarantined for nearly a month. I've seen it first-hand and I believe other certain areas of the U.S. that aren't locking down will have a tough time as NYC begins its recovery. I believe that will also impact the possibility of it being open.

Of course I am hopeful but my response is just a hypothetical none of us know as Disney has only stated indefinitely

We were scheduled for a beach/WDW trip for 6/6-/6/14. I just rescheduled the WDW portion only today after our school district came out indicating that make-up time in June is a high possibility. I was so sad to drop EMM and Ohana, but on the bright side, we might try a Halloween party which we have never done. I am a little nervous for August heat and rain, but we will go in with a loose plan with lots of pool time built in.

Just a heads up that VA/MD both have stay at home orders until June.

I think you really need to think to yourself if things are similar to now where various states are in stay-at-home will you decide to go even if Disney is open?

I have to think Disney is not going to be too quick reopening but you never know. Disney's biggest asset is their brand image.

I think you really need to think to yourself if things are similar to now where various states are in stay-at-home will you decide to go even if Disney is open?

I have to think Disney is not going to be too quick reopening but you never know. Disney's biggest asset is their brand image.
Yup, what I was going to post. Per the governor of Virginia, I’m locked down at home until June 10.

So true.

My family and I are in PA and we all (drivers and flyers) have to go through or get to MD for our June trip starting June 9th. This order solidified it and honestly, I'm glad.

We already decided not to go but having it in stone like this is helping to ease the sadness of watching our trip crumble. This is what needs to happen to try to beat this thing.

DVC points rented for Board Villas June 14 - 20
5 day Hoppers that start June 14, bought from vender from Touringplans.com
Meal plan bought through DVC rental group
Universal Portofino Resort Club room June 20 - 23
1 Universal Annual pass and 3, 4 day 2 park tickets from Universal.
Flights on Southwest for 4, using vouchers that expire June 28th.

Not sure what I can even change or get refunded :guilty:except Universal room reservation at this point.
I too am a teacher and summers are the best & only time to plan a decent length vacation.

As mentioned by AngelDisney, we are planners, that’s why we’re here reading all of this (sometimes too much :surfweb: )
and hoping our plans don’t have to be changed, we’ve all worked so hard on our trips and adding Pixie Dust .
Good luck to everyone with your plans and trips and hope we all can stay healthy and have awesome trips when we can.

We are hoping :worship:it’s good to go by then but will stay home if not safe even if they do open.
i understand Disney is hemorrhaging money but also believe they know they have to have public in mind when they do
come back as they want to remain “ The Happiest Place on Earth" :mickeyjumthis is a long game for them and they will look at it that way and what is best for the long term.

We will wait till late May 1st of June to make our decision.

Good luck and congrats :cool1::bounce:to those of you retiring from teaching :teacher:, I’m going 2 more years for a total of 33 years and I’ll be 60 and will plan:dancer::drinking1 my big retirement trip for then too.

DVC points rented for Board Villas June 14 - 20
5 day Hoppers that start June 14, bought from vender from Touringplans.com
Meal plan bought through DVC rental group
Universal Portofino Resort Club room June 20 - 23
1 Universal Annual pass and 3, 4 day 2 park tickets from Universal.
Flights on Southwest for 4, using vouchers that expire June 28th.

Not sure what I can even change or get refunded :guilty:except Universal room reservation at this point.
I too am a teacher and summers are the best & only time to plan a decent length vacation.

As mentioned by AngelDisney, we are planners, that’s why we’re here reading all of this (sometimes too much :surfweb: )
and hoping our plans don’t have to be changed, we’ve all worked so hard on our trips and adding Pixie Dust .
Good luck to everyone with your plans and trips and hope we all can stay healthy and have awesome trips when we can.

We are hoping :worship:it’s good to go by then but will stay home if not safe even if they do open.
i understand Disney is hemorrhaging money but also believe they know they have to have public in mind when they do
come back as they want to remain “ The Happiest Place on Earth" :mickeyjumthis is a long game for them and they will look at it that way and what is best for the long term.

We will wait till late May 1st of June to make our decision.

Good luck and congrats :cool1::bounce:to those of you retiring from teaching :teacher:, I’m going 2 more years for a total of 33 years and I’ll be 60 and will plan:dancer::drinking1 my big retirement trip for then too.
Oh man, I feel for you! Its my understanding the DVC point rentals are being taken on a case by case basis. I would assume the dining plan can be refunded if you cancel, because the DVC owner would be cancelling that with Disney and presumably be refunded for it. I believe your tickets will be extended through the end of the year. Tickets bought through Disney will be issued a credit for those who can't use it by the end of the year, but I'm not sure if Touring Plans' vendor can offer the same recourse. For your Universal tickets, they are valid for one year from the purchase date or they will credit it towards a new purchase, and the AP will be extended by the number of days they are closed. Hopefully some of this can help you when you decide whether to stay or go.

For the Southwest credit, we are in the same boat with May flights booked on travel finds that expire June 23rd of this year. I called to see if my travel funds would also be extended until June 2021, which is what they are currently offering for those impacted, and the agent I spoke to said yes. It should automatically take effect on your account over the next few weeks. We'll see!

nkereina, Thanks for your info. I'm really hoping the extension through April will allow for a June 1st opening but we'll have to see. Great to hear about SW, sorry to hear about your May trip as that isn't looking great. Hope is all we have right now. Take care and hope you and your family are well and stay well.
YO

I understand the sentiments of this post, and I agree about being healthy. But I thought this post is a good starting point to discuss what I want to express below.

I've seen posts like yours in other places - statements like "We can't get back in large settings for a long time", etc. Well, the facts are that this virus has never shown an infection rate of more than 1 in 1000, in any setting. The virus task force has said as much in their briefings. And that includes Italy, where the death toll is high.

So, if you just assume 50,000 people are in close proximity and each person is directly exposed to the virus, at most the number of people that would be infected is 50. And lets be honest....just because a lot of people are in a large area at one time doesnt mean they will all be exposed, or all be infected. That's not how respiratory diseases work, even highly contagious ones like the one we are dealing with. And temperatures will have an effect on these things - viruses like these will not live as long, nor travel as far, as heat and humidity rise. That has also been borne out in the research that has been done on this virus so far. Its why the vast majority of infections have all taken place in the Northern Hemisphere - its winter. Cases near the equator or in the Southern Hemisphere have largely been minimal compared to the North, as during this virus' beginnings it was the middle of summer there.

My point is that when the numbers of infections start to decline, we absolutely SHOULD go back to normal life. The only way the public at large can combat this disease until a vaccine is created is by some sort of herd immunity, where the body naturally builds up natural antibodies that help repel the virus and deny it hosts - the only way a virus can survive a long time is by being in a host. The only reason we aren't doing that now is because we are trying not to overrun the health care system with tons of visits at one time (hence the "flatten the curve" talk). There will be cases and deaths from this as we drift through the summer, but the health care system will be able to handle it, just like it handles seasonal flu and other diseases each winter. But we as a public NEED to get out again and live life like normal, especially as the weather warms up, so in case this virus is indeed cyclical, we are much better equipped to deal with it in the fall if it returns.

If we as a society don't learn to get over the fear of this virus and learn to live with it, we will simply be consumed with fear psychologically which is unhealthy to the highest degree. And that doesn't even begin to touch on the economic impact of continually being shut in our homes.

I understand the sentiments of this post, and I agree about being healthy. But I thought this post is a good starting point to discuss what I want to express below.

I've seen posts like yours in other places - statements like "We can't get back in large settings for a long time", etc. Well, the facts are that this virus has never shown an infection rate of more than 1 in 1000, in any setting. The virus task force has said as much in their briefings. And that includes Italy, where the death toll is high.

So, if you just assume 50,000 people are in close proximity and each person is directly exposed to the virus, at most the number of people that would be infected is 50. And lets be honest....just because a lot of people are in a large area at one time doesnt mean they will all be exposed, or all be infected. That's not how respiratory diseases work, even highly contagious ones like the one we are dealing with. And temperatures will have an effect on these things - viruses like these will not live as long, nor travel as far, as heat and humidity rise. That has also been borne out in the research that has been done on this virus so far. Its why the vast majority of infections have all taken place in the Northern Hemisphere - its winter. Cases near the equator or in the Southern Hemisphere have largely been minimal compared to the North, as during this virus' beginnings it was the middle of summer there.

My point is that when the numbers of infections start to decline, we absolutely SHOULD go back to normal life. The only way the public at large can combat this disease until a vaccine is created is by some sort of herd immunity, where the body naturally builds up natural antibodies that help repel the virus and deny it hosts - the only way a virus can survive a long time is by being in a host. The only reason we aren't doing that now is because we are trying not to overrun the health care system with tons of visits at one time (hence the "flatten the curve" talk). There will be cases and deaths from this as we drift through the summer, but the health care system will be able to handle it, just like it handles seasonal flu and other diseases each winter. But we as a public NEED to get out again and live life like normal, especially as the weather warms up, so in case this virus is indeed cyclical, we are much better equipped to deal with it in the fall if it returns.

If we as a society don't learn to get over the fear of this virus and learn to live with it, we will simply be consumed with fear psychologically which is unhealthy to the highest degree. And that doesn't even begin to touch on the economic impact of continually being shut in our homes.

Are you mad?? Are you really suggesting that it is worth risking 50 people getting infected so we can all go back to the parks? People are frightened and quite rightly so, just look at all the poor people on ventilators. Do you want the already stretched health services across The world to collapse even further? The only time we can go back to mass gatherings is when a vaccine is developed. There is no proof that temperature effects this virus, we must stop fake news and only quote true medical facts and we know this has, as of today killed nearly 45,000 people.

We all need a light at the end of tunnel, but by going back to mass gatherings to early would put is right at the very start of that tunnel again. I can not wait to go back to the parks but we need to only do this when it is safe.

Sorry, rant over

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter