Should I upgrade ticket to AP if cancelling trip?

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
I purchased two 7-day passes for a family trip in April with the intent of upgrading both to a DVC AP. That trip may be canceled but we may be going to Orlando for a few days in February. We will probably go into the parks for just one or two days staying offsite and just buy new 2 or 3 day tickets.

So, am I better off upgrading the tickets to AP's with the intent of starting use next year when we reschedule our family trip? Or leaving them as 7 day tickets and not using them until next year and upgrading then. I am unsure how upgrading works.

If you upgrade and then use in Feb, the start date will be February.

If you cancel April, when would you be back? Is it better to just buy tickets for Feb?

If

Not sure how upgrades work but I believe if you buy an AP for future use you get a voucher which is good for 1 year. If you do not activate it within 1 year by entering a park it reverts to the amount paid toward a new ticket of equal or greater value, ie no cash back. You’re gonna have to call.

I purchased two 7-day passes for a family trip in April with the intent of upgrading both to a DVC AP. That trip may be canceled but we may be going to Orlando for a few days in February. We will probably go into the parks for just one or two days staying offsite and just buy new 2 or 3 day tickets.

So, am I better off upgrading the tickets to AP's with the intent of starting use next year when we reschedule our family trip? Or leaving them as 7 day tickets and not using them until next year and upgrading then. I am unsure how upgrading works.

(1) Will you know about your April trip in February?
(2) If you cancel your April trip, will you go back to WDW for at least 7 days by February 2025?

A 2-day basic park ticket is about $320 in February and parking is $30 per day.
A 7-day basic park ticket is about $785 in April.
A Sorcerer AP is $1065.

The cost to upgrade your 7-day pass is less than the cost of a 2-day park ticket plus parking. If you are going anytime between February 2024 and 365 days after your first day in the parks when you would use your 7-day pass it's worth it to use the 7-day in February and upgrade to an AP. I would probably do it at Disney Springs to avoid paying for parking on your first day.

Thank you! I should have stated that after the February trip, we would not be returning until March or April 2025. That's why I wanted to know if it was better to upgrade to an AP and just hold it until next year and if anyone had experience with that. I will have to give them a call.

Thank you! I should have stated that after the February trip, we would not be returning until March or April 2025. That's why I wanted to know if it was better to upgrade to an AP and just hold it until next year and if anyone had experience with that. I will have to give them a call.

As long as you don’t upgrade a ticket that has been used, the voucher will be good from one year from the date to purchase.

If you don’t return until March or April of 2025, then you don’t want to use it in February.

We haven't purchased tickets in 5 years. I didn't realize they would expire if not used... I should have checked on that.

I purchased the tickets in late November so they will expire in November of this year if I don't use them?

We haven't purchased tickets in 5 years. I didn't realize they would expire if not used... I should have checked on that.

I purchased the tickets in late November so they will expire in November of this year if I don't use them?

The 7 day tickets are date based so they expire once the dates pass. But, the value of your tickets will always be there.

Now, you can always modify tickets to new dates, but must pay the difference in price as WDW now charges a different price per day, depending on time of year, etc,

So, if you have tickets bought for say April 13 to 20th and do nothing with them, they will be come greyed out on MDE and you will have to call ticketing…or visit GR at the parks…to change the dates on them, paying the difference, or upgrade them to an AP.

Oh got it! I assume if I pay to upgrade to the AP I would also just have to pay the difference in price if I didn't use it this year. I was concerned that if I didn't go until next year I would lose the ticket $ completely! Thank you for clarifying that!

Oh got it! I assume if I pay to upgrade to the AP I would also just have to pay the difference in price if I didn't use it this year. I was concerned that if I didn't go until next year I would lose the ticket $ completely! Thank you for clarifying that!

If you upgrade the ticket to an AP and don’t use it, it can be activated within one year from when you upgraded for no additional charge. If it’s after the year, then you pay the difference.

So, if you cancel Aprils trip, I would wait to upgrade it until your next potential trip is within one year from the date you upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter