Should the remote shows be audio only?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I'm an audio listener always, so the show being on video isn't meaningful to me, but after listening to this week's show and the tech problems and video lag, it occurred to me that they really could just do audio only for now. The Skype issues are typically with video which demands a lot more bandwidth than sound. Maybe they could still be showing photos, slides, whatever but have everyone but Craig just have an audio feed. Maybe it wouldn't be quite as interesting to watch but do you really need to see everyone's faces. What's important is what they're saying.

I'm an audio listener always, so the show being on video isn't meaningful to me, but after listening to this week's show and the tech problems and video lag, it occurred to me that they really could just do audio only for now. The Skype issues are typically with video which demands a lot more bandwidth than sound. Maybe they could still be showing photos, slides, whatever but have everyone but Craig just have an audio feed. Maybe it wouldn't be quite as interesting to watch but do you really need to see everyone's faces. What's important is what they're saying.

+2 for keeping video

I think a solution to this would be shooting audio only and dubbing it over top of the content, almost in a slide-show type way. Then uploading to YT.

I used to be audio only when I had 3+ hrs commutes round trip. Now i'm purely video only, but tbh most of the time I play it in the background while I'm cooking dinner or cleaning.

My only thing is that it was only one video where they had a lot of technical issues, all the rest of their videos seem to be fine - at least the ones I’ve seen, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Since it looks like a one off Craig just probably has to troubleshoot, but if it continues happening I might agree audio would be better.

it was only one video where they had a lot of technical issues
Yes, it was Corey Martin's feed, so likely an issue with his internet connection. It might not have been something Craig could fix. Maybe the answer is to just be willing to change it up on the fly. When it became clear that Corey's feed wasn't stable, switch him to audio only and keep everyone else on video.

I definitely wouldn't want everything to go to all audio as I have appreciated them jumping on with live shows and stuff - just good to see people, see "faces" and stuff when many of us are all holed up at home

but maybe doing something audio only each week would be good as well

I think video also helps me especially this last week keep connected with the outside world since I’m stuck inside. Seeing familiar faces, as least to me, is invaluable right now.

Last edited:
if you're on the Skype, simply hit the mute button when a giant truck is in front of your house, or when all the dogs start barking. It's easy to do!
We are having twice weekly Skype meetings with COVID 19 updates at work. Every. Single. Time. Someone doesn't mute their phone and we hear a ton of background noise. And every time our lead physician and/or other participants point it out and ask everyone to mute their phones and nothing changes because whoever is causing the problem doesn't listen. It's super annoying.

We are having twice weekly Skype meetings with COVID 19 updates at work. Every. Single. Time. Someone doesn't mute their phone and we hear a ton of background noise. And every time our lead physician and/or other participants point it out and ask everyone to mute their phones and nothing changes because whoever is causing the problem doesn't listen. It's super annoying.
Depending on which version you are using, the presenter can mute the audience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter