Should the remote shows be audio only?

Not to pile on "Fiasco"....but if you're on the Skype, simply hit the mute button when a giant truck is in front of your house, or when all the dogs start barking. It's easy to do!

+5 (or whatever the number is) for video
I'm wondering if he had his windows open or something.

Depending on which version you are using, the presenter can mute the audience.
Yes, but these are interactive conversations so they can mute us for the first part when they're giving the update but need to unmute us for the rest when we're asking questions and sharing experiences.

Keep the video! However they can mange it. Anything they’ve posted recently has been such a comfort to me. But most importantly, watching these videos is a small way we can show support for Pete and the gang while the tourism industry is shut down.

yea, switching to audio only would prolly help with the lag.
So would putting your mic on mute when you're not talking.

I prefer they keep it to video even with the lagging and other technical issues. I'm grateful that they're still doing shows at all during this time because they don't really need to. It's not like there's actual Disney news to report other than it's going to be closed longer and the main purpose of these shows is to drum up business for Dreams, which is hard to do since they can't book 2021 yet and no one knows how long this is going to last. If it's easier to switch to audio for them then I'm fine with it, but personally I enjoy getting to see a friendly/familiar face that isn't my husband or kids and gives some sort of connection to the outside world.

I'd give it another shot but if the tech can't work with 3-4 people at once than yes, the main show with multiple guests should be full audio only.

Side shows can still be video when it's one-on-one like the Pete/Craig feature last week, which was pleasant and had little-to-no issues tech wise.

let's see if things improve this week. it's very difficult to have a clean hour of video chat with 3+ people.

We are having twice weekly Skype meetings with COVID 19 updates at work. Every. Single. Time. Someone doesn't mute their phone and we hear a ton of background noise. And every time our lead physician and/or other participants point it out and ask everyone to mute their phones and nothing changes because whoever is causing the problem doesn't listen. It's super annoying.
Keep the video, Steve you sound like you get "annoyed" very easily try so TM maybe lol.

Keep the video, Steve you sound like you get "annoyed" very easily try so TM maybe lol.
Thanks. What helpful advice. I'm a physician on the front line of the COVID-19 situation. Yes, I get annoyed when we're getting the latest updates and I can't hear what the speaker is saying because someone else on the call can't manage to mute their phone. I guess I should just get over that.

Keep the video. Great job guys, you do provide a good diversion in the uncertain times. It's nice to see friendly faces and sometimes a little sharp remark or sarcasm from, well I won't say who😁

I would vote for video for Craig and Pete and audio only for other guests. Cameras use a lot of bandwidth, and with shutdowns occurring all over bandwidth is becoming more precious as more people telecommute, stream videos all day, etc. Also have been teaching remotely for two weeks, I have learned audio is better if people dial in versus using through the computer. At least through Zoom, dial in connections are an option. Furthermore, the most reliable and clear audio hands down is achieved if people dial in on a landline than a cell. It is all about conserving bandwidth right now like we've learned to conseve water.

I would vote for video for Craig and Pete and audio only for other guests. Cameras use a lot of bandwidth, and with shutdowns occurring all over bandwidth is becoming more precious as more people telecommute, stream videos all day, etc. Also have been teaching remotely for two weeks, I have learned audio is better if people dial in versus using through the computer. At least through Zoom, dial in connections are an option. Furthermore, the most reliable and clear audio hands down is achieved if people dial in on a landline than a cell. It is all about conserving bandwidth right now like we've learned to conseve water.

i wonder if it depends on the program used? We have started using Microsoft Teams at work and, for example, I just had a video conference with several people in Switzerland and the video and audio were both crisp and no lag at all

Yes, but these are interactive conversations so they can mute us for the first part when they're giving the update but need to unmute us for the rest when we're asking questions and sharing experiences.
Check if skype has a raise hands feature. We use this on our full team zoom meetings. The presenter mutes everyone and then people click the raise hand option in the chat when they want to speak. The presenter then unmutes them.

Last edited:
I’m video only. If the show went to audio I wouldn’t listen. I’m not a podcast person or an audiobook person so that doesn’t appeal to me at all.

What is the video giving your right now that an audio show isn’t? If you want to later in YouTube in post have visuals to match including maybe an icon of who’s talking but for higher quality I think it’s better audio for now.

I think, they need to work out their technical issues. Skype might not be the best option. Maybe they should try Zoom.

And I wonder what bufferbloat looks like for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter